Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

A discussion on railway art.

A friend of mine has a print by a current artist from Peterborough way. The painting is something like ‘Duchess at Crewe North’ or suchlike. I can’t keep my eyes off it when I pop round, superb!

A friend of mine has a print by a current artist from Peterborough way. The painting is something like ‘Duchess at Crewe North’ or suchlike. I can’t keep my eyes off it when I pop round, superb!

It's not this one is it?

Railway_paintings_and_prints_Artist_Jame

If so the artist is James Green and the painting is called "Duchess - City of Leeds"

James is an associate member of the Guild of Railway artists and a nice chap to boot.

• Like 4

It's not this one is it?

Railway_paintings_and_prints_Artist_Jame

If so the artist is James Green and the painting is called "Duchess - City of Leeds"

James is an associate member of the Guild of Railway artists and a nice chap to boot.

Yes, that’s the one. I have a postcard of it now, but the full size print is that much better. I wonder where the original is?

Yes, that’s the one. I have a postcard of it now, but the full size print is that much better. I wonder where the original is?

I don't know who bought it, but it was sold at Railart 2016 held at Kidderminster Railway Museum. When the exhibition opened it was the most expensive picture listed.

For those interested in railway art, the NRM at Shildon are hosting and exhibition of my good lady's works (Chris Pulham) this summer between 19th August and 30th of September.

The exhibition will feature her works that have been shared on these pages plus others that so far haven't been seen in public.

Do go along and have a look if you are in the vicinity and if you would like to chat to the artist we will be on site all but one weekend during the exhibition.

• Like 2

i wonder if any of you know the work of Hans Baluschek? There are a number of his works in the Bröhan-Museum in Berlin. I find them quite moving in their frank portal of working people.

attachicon.gif6AD0A57B-297C-40D2-A792-55987CF5AB8E.jpegattachicon.gifE13F52E1-5929-44DB-B5F7-6BDDF9A23AA3.jpegattachicon.gif3AF217EA-096C-416F-84D9-1CB5F06E978A.jpeg

Check out the mullet on the geezer in the bottom painting.

Edit: looking at the collar, is it a bloke? The hairpiece looks like a syrup too!

Edited by Baby Deltic

• 1 month later...

Since this thread is about railway art and some of Chris's painting are featured it seems like the best place to share this until a bit nearer the time when I will put it in the exhibitions section.

The NRM Locomotion are hosting a solo exhibition of Chris's work this summer and their web team have been busy promoting it.

https://www.locomotion.org.uk/whats-on/steam-season

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Check out the mullet on the geezer in the bottom painting.

Edit: looking at the collar, is it a bloke? The hairpiece looks like a syrup too!

I think you might be referring to a "Nun" and that the supposed hairpiece is actually her cowl!

Regards

Chris H

• 1 month later...

A discussion on the GOG forum about the recent show at Doncaster, elicited a lovely comment from a gent, who said that the highlight of the show for him was watching Chris Pulham working on her painting (Chris was sat at my demo stand and had taken along a painting which she intends to exhibit in August).

For those that didn't make the show or even those that did, but missed seeing the painting, here is the work in progress. Should anyone desire it, £1500 will make it yours - after the exhibition of course

post-6713-0-16707500-1528905430.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh yes, I saw that and swooned. I have never seen such a beautiful and skillyfully coloured piece of railway art. I reckoned that Phil Hawkins was probably the best, but now I have a new top Artist. This is exceptional work by Rob's wife and I only wish I had that dosh free at the moment (which, through circumstances I sadly have not).

Thanks for posting this here Rob.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Those that went along to Chris's exhibition at Locomotion and Guildex last year will have seen Chris working on this:

b32d34d13f97216c17dbbd142a048a0b_500x328

She finished it with a couple of weeks of the exhibition left so she had the finished painting on display but I had forgotten to post it on here.

• Like 1

For the last two weeks of her exhibition and since Chris has been working on another couple of paintings,  one of which she has almost finished (She had but she has since note a couple more details that she wants to add). She was working on it at the recent Pontefract show where a gent who has bought another of Chris's works was so taken with it he committed to buying it without having seen it finished.

It's entitled "ROD at Rest" and is a depiction of a photo  which is copyright of Flickr user Bill Wright who kindly gave Chris permission to use any of his photos as subjects for paintings.

IMG_1030.JPG.0d0eb70329dac0dd1bf2b38e9dc0b45a.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 10:04, Mallard60022 said:

Oh yes, I saw that and swooned. I have never seen such a beautiful and skillyfully coloured piece of railway art. I reckoned that Phil Hawkins was probably the best, but now I have a new top Artist. This is exceptional work by Rob's wife and I only wish I had that dosh free at the moment (which, through circumstances I sadly have not).

Thanks for posting this here Rob.

Phil

Fortunately there were some prints available for this and I am the proud owner of one. Framed thanks to SWMBO for my Christmas pressi this last December.

The loco has a Toton Shed plate and could I just ask if the shed is Toton or elsewhere or 'generic' Midland?

Lovely Eight Freight.

Phil

• 2 years later...
On 09/02/2019 at 13:04, Mallard60022 said:

Fortunately there were some prints available for this and I am the proud owner of one. Framed thanks to SWMBO for my Christmas pressi this last December.

The loco has a Toton Shed plate and could I just ask if the shed is Toton or elsewhere or 'generic' Midland?

Lovely Eight Freight.

Phil

Wow, sorry Phil you probably weren't expecting an answer after all this time, the Shed is Burton Shed

Since finishing off the house Chris has got back into painting mode and she has managed to finish of a couple of paintings that she has had on going for quite a long time.

The first many will recall from her working on it at Telford in 2019

It's entitled "Summer Sunday at Gloucester Horton Road" As a friend of ours predicted  when he saw it on as a work in progress, it's made a pretty little picture.

Assuming that there is a Guild of Railway Artists Railart exhibition this year it will be entered for it (unless someone buys it first).

1095461889_SummerSundayatGloucesterHortonRoad.jpg.b6c8a99d1527b548d131032d9f9e831f.jpg

• Like 6

The second of Chris's paintings hasn't been seen in public before.

It's entitled "Heading to the Starting Gate" and is the last of Chris's large canvases at 24" by 36"

Rather selfishly, this one isn't for sale it's mine

The original photo copyright Simon Lathlane and hosted on the David Hay site was quite dark in places so Chris has really brought it to life and colour. 

She kept saying never again but I have persuaded her to do another view of KX from yet another period black and white photo which I will share in due course.

Heading to the Starting Gate.JPG

• Like 5