Right Price Railway Co. Drewrys

The Nth Degree

Hi, Steve

I first must apologise for not answering sooner but I have acute  technophobia,

but I an seeking therapy .I started building RPRC kits several years ago with an

04, then moved on to the 03 adding opening doors and lots of extra features.The kits themselves are fairly

basic but with a bit of research on the real thing they can make a really nice model. I have since built their

05 kit as well.

Hopefully when I am a little more confident with this computer thingy I will

post you a few pics on here.

Regards Geoff.

Hi Steve

This is the RPRC 04 as promised .As before I said it was a basic model to start with but with additions

you can see it makes a nice model. The prototype it is modelled on is the loco at the Midland railway

centre, a former Pye hill colliery shunter now used as the yard shunter for the Princess royal trusts

shed . Some years ago I worked on the loco cleaning the frames and refurbishing the cabs. The

motor in the model is a Mashima 1833 attached to a Markits gearbox, the wheels are from Slaters.

In my last post I said the 05 I built was from RPRC,my mistake that was from Oakville models, the

06 was the other one from them.

post-20486-0-78101900-1381494413_thumb.jpgpost-20486-0-19514100-1381494431_thumb.jpgpost-20486-0-55096700-1381494444_thumb.jpgpost-20486-0-06465800-1381494458_thumb.jpgpost-20486-0-30377400-1381494474_thumb.jpgpost-20486-0-10180700-1381494485_thumb.jpg

Absolutely stunning job you've made of the model, and especially the interior! Very impressed.

It's a shame that Slaters (or anyone else) don't produce the correct wheels for an 04, but they look correct for the 03.

Excellent job, you must be very happy with it – I certainly would be! Thanks for sharing it. I'm looking forward to the potential rerelease of the kit and I'll definitely refer to yours for inspiration. Do you know if there was much variation in cab designs and layouts?

Steve

post-20486-0-63264900-1381774737_thumb.jpgpost-20486-0-01410000-1381774841_thumb.jpg

Hi, All

Itsme again, in answer to N15 class, yes the chassis is attached by 2 10 BA  screws.

Steve, I think the 03 cabs are all fairly standard but extra equipment will have been

added when they were airbraked. I am currently adding airbrake detailing to a Brassworks

03 so will be  looking at the loco at Barrow Hill where I volunteer at weekends.

The 04 was modelled from a black & white photo of Bennerly washery near

Ilkeston, the only doubt I had about it was whether I had got the buffer beam the

right colour.

• RMweb Premium

What a superb model. Declaring an interest, I've bought Steve's surplus '04' so plan to build this over the winter, in BR green. You show what standard to aspire to!

Dava

Is it me, or in the pics of the 03, are the front set of coupling rods at an angle to the rest? The wheel looks to be further round too?

That apart, smashing model, lovely weathering and nice details.

2 superb looking locos there guys, had a look on their website and can only find the 06 listed, are they still current kits in their range?

I'm afraid not at this time, otherwise two of their 03s would have secreted their way into the ever-growing 'to do' pile. I have heard that they could be rereleased at some point.

• RMweb Premium

Steve's 04 kit has now joined my 'awaiting works' loco kits. Certainly a well executed kit but its one for building in 2014 as the layout is going to 2 shows in the next month and there's work as well.

Dava

• 3 months later...

Steve's 04 kit has now joined my 'awaiting works' loco kits.

Dava

Hello Dava, got any further with the 04? Looking forward to seeing a build thread on it.

And itsme, have any more locos you'd like to share. I must admit, your building and detailing is fantastic and I'd like to hear how you go about building your kits. I'm especially interested in the interior detailing.

• RMweb Premium

I am completing the rebuild of a 'P' class 0-6-0T which was acquired in a distressed state - see

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65446-coney-hill-light-railway/page-4 .

I need to finish that and get some parts for the 04 at Kettering on 1 March before starting it.

Dava

post-20486-0-26311200-1391463552_thumb.jpgpost-20486-0-34920600-1391463568_thumb.jpgpost-20486-0-52836300-1391463591_thumb.jpgpost-20486-0-24869900-1391463614_thumb.jpgpost-20486-0-85114500-1391463530_thumb.jpgHi, Itsme again. In reply to Nth I have a couple more locos to share.

The first one is probably the most expensive one I have made, it is the

so called beginners kit BR 02 from Tower. It does produce a nice chunky

loco when finished but it does take a lot of work to make anything like

the prototype. I started by going to Rowsley and taking as many pictures

as possible of all the detail parts. The front grill is part of the main

mould and is not a true representation, so I made a new one from brass

wire, I'm not sure I have the right number of elements I think there

should be 2 more than I could squeeze together. I wanted to put an opening

door on the back which meant hacking though 2mm of whitemetal without

destroying the casting, a new door was made from brass and fitted

with a spring loaded handle. All the hand rails at the back were

replaced with brass rod. The control desk moulding was put to one side

and a new one made from various brass offcuts and bits of wire, the floor

is made from balsa wood. The instruments are tranfers from an old

aircraft kit.

I will post details of the other loco later as I not yet taken pics

of it in its constituent parts.

post-20486-0-88734400-1391717913_thumb.jpgpost-20486-0-23354500-1391717932_thumb.jpgpost-20486-0-57769100-1391717947_thumb.jpgpost-20486-0-64654200-1391718055_thumb.jpgpost-20486-0-34504500-1391717888_thumb.jpg

Hi, Steve Itsme again.

This is the latest model, the Hunslet BR05. The kit was at least 24 years old

from Oakville models, I picked it up at one of the o Gauge Guild exhibitions

a couple of years ago, the etches where marked up as A1 Models.

The research for this was interesting as it started at Barrow Hill

roundhouse where one of the later versions was stabled at the time. That was when I

found out that there were two types, one slightly larger than the other. The

kit makes up the early version with smaller wheels and windows and shorter body.

Having found that out it was a trip to the Isle of Wight steam railway to find

the only remaining survivor.

The etches were nice and chunky and well designed, you had a choice of radiator,

either a casting or the way I chose which was to build it out of brass.

The only part missing was the Hunslet name for the front, but after a conversation

with Brian at Extreme Etchings I took a pic. of the loco at Barrow Hill along with

measurements and Brian made me half a dozen plates, so if anyone needs a Hunslet plate

I have 5 left.

Really nice Geoff.

I've been meaning to ask a couple questions regarding the 03 and 04. I notice that the rear of the buffers, if they were sprung, would enter exposed underneath the footplate – at the front they would probably enter the top step footwell. How did you get around this – did you use solid buffers?

Secondly, do you still have all the research data on the 03 and 04 prototypes? I've seen a stunning build of a DJH 03 which appeared on the old MIGO website, with many extra details added to form an air-braked version so I can use the majority of that build but would be great to not base something from a model, but the actual prototype. I understand that Brian Daniels has a good photo library somewhere, so I'll go look it up for starters.

Cheers, Steve

Hi, Itsme again.

Thanks for that CME. Steve, the Right Price 03 & 04 where supplied with

sprung buffers, the only bit that shows is the nut when the buffers are depressed,

if you spray them black you hardly notice them at all.

As regards the reference material, I have plenty of pics already of the airbraked

03 at Barrow Hill and as it is yard shunter at the moment pushing the two

foreign A4,s about I can get as many shots of it as you like, you just say

what you require and will endeavour to get them for you.

Archived