Right Price Railway Co. Drewrys

The Nth Degree

Went on to The Right Price website yesterday. There is an announcement there that the proprietor is retiring at the end of march and that the range of kits will no longer be produced. That's a real shame as they appear to represent excellent value for money and judging by the photos seem to produce a good model.

Order whilst still available seems to be the motto

Paul R

Went on to The Right Price website yesterday. There is an announcement there that the proprietor is retiring at the end of march and that the range of kits will no longer be produced. That's a real shame as they appear to represent excellent value for money and judging by the photos seem to produce a good model.

Paul R

Hi Paul,

I agree - I havnt seen his adverts for a little while.

I wonder if someone will buy up his range of kits?

Kindest,

CME

• RMweb Premium

It is understood that he doesn't want to sell, so the kits will disappear, which is a bit of a waste as there is no other 04 (for example) available.

Dava

It does seem a shame if one of the budget brands disappears.

Only yesterday I was talking to another kit manufacturer who was lamenting the price of, shall we say, other necessary parts for his models. Whilst he is keeping his prices at what I regard as a decent price, parts needed to complete them continue to rise in price at an alarming rate.....

There are one or two kit manufacturers around who seem to be able to do a fantastic job at what I regard as a decent price, and still make a profit.

Then there are those whose kits are dearer than a rtr model.........

Hi Nth Degree,

Do you know something - else - that we dont?

I think that the range - from what I can remember - is well worth saving.

KInd regards,

CME

I think the 03 & 04 are worth saving, the 06 is duplicated by Judith Edge and their version is much better anyway. All the steam locos are duplicated and I'm pretty sure all the duplications are much better.

Steve

Only yesterday I was talking to another kit manufacturer who was lamenting the price of, shall we say, other necessary parts for his models. Whilst he is keeping his prices at what I regard as a decent price, parts needed to complete them continue to rise in price at an alarming rate.....

There are one or two kit manufacturers around who seem to be able to do a fantastic job at what I regard as a decent price, and still make a profit.

Wheels are incredibly expensive when compared to the bulk of the model. I reckon that the cheapest part of a kit is the actual loco, followed by the wheels, then the motor/gearbox combination. A re-wheeling workshop diorama would be quite cheap to make!

I think this is very much in the detail. There is a difference between "profit" and a "living" and a "substantial income" - Sadly many of these businesses that disappear are barely making a profit. In reality when time (at minimum wage) is added they almost become a charity.

I never like this attitude of throw the business away just because you do not want it to pass into other's hands. To me that is a total waste, even if making a loss there may well be some other devotee prepared to spend time and effort keeping it alive for the charitable benefit of others.

It seems to be a very selfish attitude, but the trouble more often seems to be over valuation of the business for sale. When the owner realises that what they have built up over the years has no monetary value as all the expertise is invested in themselves (the one asset that is retiring, so not for sale).

I think this is very much in the detail. There is a difference between "profit" and a "living" and a "substantial income" - Sadly many of these businesses that disappear are barely making a profit. In reality when time (at minimum wage) is added they almost become a charity.

I never like this attitude of throw the business away just because you do not want it to pass into other's hands. To me that is a total waste, even if making a loss there may well be some other devotee prepared to spend time and effort keeping it alive for the charitable benefit of others.

It seems to be a very selfish attitude, but the trouble more often seems to be over valuation of the business for sale. When the owner realises that what they have built up over the years has no monetary value as all the expertise is invested in themselves (the one asset that is retiring, so not for sale).

Even when a range is sold on there is no guarantee it will see the light of day. A number of ranges have been sold on only never to make it back to production. What happened to Cavalier coaches? They were part of the RJH range at one point which was split I recall on the death of the proprietor. The locos are now with PRMPS (is that right) but where the coaches went I have no idea

Paul R

Even when a range is sold on there is no guarantee it will see the light of day. A number of ranges have been sold on only never to make it back to production. What happened to Cavalier coaches? They were part of the RJH range at one point which was split I recall on the death of the proprietor. The locos are now with PRMPS (is that right) but where the coaches went I have no idea

Paul R

Hi Paul,

I think that they were bought out by a 'consortium' of rich fellows and the owner then went to work for one of the rich fellows of said consortium.

The castings went to ABS - and very good they are too.

Kind regards,

CME

How odd, I've just posted five pics of 05001 at Sandown on the IoW today. One also shows a close-up of the works plate and cabside.

Here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79590-jeffps-photos-early-70s-and-80s/page-10

Scroll down for the 05 pics.

I've only just had time to look at your shots Jeff, some lovely ones there. I'd like to get an 05 kit but I'm not sure they are in production any more. You mention in that thread you have a couple 03 kits – which ones have you got?

attachicon.gifphoto 2.JPGattachicon.gifphoto 1.JPG

Hi, All

Itsme again, in answer to N15 class, yes the chassis is attached by 2 10 BA  screws.

Steve, I think the 03 cabs are all fairly standard but extra equipment will have been

added when they were airbraked. I am currently adding airbrake detailing to a Brassworks

03 so will be  looking at the loco at Barrow Hill where I volunteer at weekends.

The 04 was modelled from a black & white photo of Bennerly washery near

Ilkeston, the only doubt I had about it was whether I had got the buffer beam the

right colour.

Hello Geoff, are you sure this is a Right Price 04? I ask because I'm fairly sure the Right Price has a cut out footplate above the front steps and was only supplied with the underslung reservoir tanks, not the earlier types behind the buffer beam.

Hi, Nth. Yes its a Right Price kit, one of the spacers in

the chassis is etched Right Price 1999. Our club bought a job lot

from somewhere and amongst it was the 04 and an 03 which was

bought by a certain Phil Sutton. I have no idea if he ever built it.

Cheers Geoff.

Paul R

Hi Paul,

I agree - I havnt seen his adverts for a little while.

I wonder if someone will buy up his range of kits?

Kindest,

CME

It is understood that he doesn't want to sell, so the kits will disappear, which is a bit of a waste as there is no other 04 (for example) available.

Dava

Like a phoenix, the 03 & 04 kits have risen from their retirement home. See here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82812-little-loco-company/

Archived