Siemens Inspiro tube stock mockup

Talltim

I know many people like it but I'm not a fan of "walk through" carriages, and the utility of them on jam-packed Tube stock is debatable (often I can barely make it to the nearest door). Using Overground stock, it feels to me like the cosy warmth of a railway carriage has been turned into a soulless tunnel.

I like the door windows, but why are carriage windows generally getting shallower? On the Victoria line stock it's now hard to see out. I guess they need the room for adverts.

Paul

Try Klaatu barada nikto. Perhaps the silver bar swings up when necessary to zap passing RMT officials/LBC hosts depending on who's mayor at the time. And the tinted cab window(?) and flush interior cab door suggest any organic component in the cab - if there at all - would be plugged in. If I ever wanted to feel like a statistic, I'd take a ride on this. ;)

Presumably, instead of being designated C stock or S stock or D stock, this will be R2-D2 stock. Sorry but this is hideous. It looks like something hastily slapped together by a design consultant suddenly realising he's two hours away from deadline. Total lack of imagination.

It looks like something hastily slapped together by a design consultant suddenly realising he's two hours away from deadline.

Thats when the best design usually pops up in my experience.. so I organise lots of fake deadlines to get my @rse in gear and get scribbling!

Thats when the best design usually pops up in my experience.. so I organise lots of fake deadlines to get my @rse in gear and get scribbling!

Having worked as a copywriter and therefore to deadlines, myself, I can relate to what you're saying. But it clearly didn't work here.

• RMweb Premium

The side windows are too shallow.  The front end is positively revolting and probably impractical unless the train operator is seated centrally.  Assuming these trains have an on-board operator and are not the driver-less beasts we are threatened with by LUL.

There is reasonable space inside though I suspect a few more seats could be squeezed in if they were fractionally narrower.  Not everyone is happy to stand for a typical 30-minute commute twice daily.  

Electronics and train control has moved ahead substantially over the years but within the constraints of building for a 12' diameter tunnel I don't think the 1938 stock has been beaten as a design yet.

If they ever make it on to the central line that's going to be a wilde ride for any one stood on the join as it goes round tthe bends near Bank station - talk about doing the twist.

Though sorry afer saying that as I said before I do still like it!

• 2 weeks later...

What always worries me about the "walk through" design is what happens if there is a fire as smoke would travel through the entire length of the train. Also I would hate to be stood anywhere near the connection between the two coaches because of the way that the levels of the two coaches change so much. I can see that you could easily be knocked off balance.

Are there an ystudies to show that people do actually walk through the train to a less crowded part? Or is it, as i suspect a fallacy as if part of the train is crowded the crush makes it impossible to move to a less crowded part?

• RMweb Premium

Are there an ystudies to show that people do actually walk through the train to a less crowded part? Or is it, as i suspect a fallacy as if part of the train is crowded the crush makes it impossible to move to a less crowded part?

There is evidence from the Bendybus era above ground that they do not.  There is some evidence from the Overground lines where class 378 EMU sets are similarly open-plan that there is little movement along the trains; passengers enter and remain fairly close to the doorway used.  I haven't seen anything since the S-stock took over the Metropolitan and Circle / H&C lines but suspect the same is largely true.

My personal experience on the Croydon Tramlink, class 378 units and similar open-plan rolling stock in Australia is that by and large passengers do not walk through at busier times.  Perhaps perversely they do at off-peak times when seats are already available near their point of entry.

In the emergency scenario of a fire taking hold an open-plan unit can be both a life-saver and a death trap.  It may all depend upon individual circumstances.  They could act as a chimney and funnel a fire through or there could be swift escape via an unaffected end.  With up to eight cars to trek through on "traditional" tube trains (such as, until recently, the A and 1967 stocks) the time taken to open doors, file through one at a time and to negotiate the cabs mid-train could potentially take longer than a walk-through evacuation.

Would you rather have a fair chance of getting out in what is - in all probability - going to be a panicked scenario or would you prefer to be trying to get through a 2' 6" doorway one at a time and step over the couplers outside in a dark and smoky tunnel?  

My experience of the Overground, during my stint at the olympics, was 'both', depending on the loading.

The Nim.

If they ever make it on to the central line that's going to be a wilde ride for any one stood on the join as it goes round the bends near Bank station - talk about doing the twist

The train is intended to be articulated with the bogies under the joints hence they will be well behaved as on the DLR.

I went and had a look on Friday, its not intended to have a driver, if they end up with a permanent occupant in the cab it will need some redesign, it looks pretty marginal even for emergency driving only. I expect the cab area on the mock up is just empty, you can't see into it at all.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Not a fan at all. The interior is ok, but the front is horrid. This must never be allowed to run on LU!

The windows are so small but I agree the length is nice. Doors are ok too.

There don't appear to be many doors either which make for long crowded saloons.

I thought there was a lack of doors. But then I realised that in fact there is a mirror which gives a false impresssion of the length of that section.

• RMweb Gold

The walk-through principle is useful for some LUL stations where some platforms are shorter than the trains. But generally, I agree it does not get used much. It is however looked at as being important for passenger safety (from mugging etc).

I am glad to learn that they are thinking of the connections being above articulated bogies. They should have done that for the new surface stock as well.

The front end is rather weird - but does that matter too much on a tube train which is not seen that much? It looks as though it could be built to a good structural strength at less cost than some more fancy design.

Archived