Lets see your teak coaches.

Having just found this thread, I was wondering what varnish/finish anyone could recommend for improving the look of the coaches.  I just bought three sets of three coaches (the price was too good to pass up but three sets? what was I thinking?). they look fantastic but the finish looks too flat, I imagine they would have been more glossy. Ideally I would like something I could airbrush on because I wouldn't want to ruin the teak finish.

Thanks.

MJ.

Mark.

(Sorry to go by MJ, but there are too many Marks in this family!!)

Gresley coaches.jpg

Edited by Blackthorn

I too, have just found this thread and submit my wooden coaches lightly restored but not my builds. See "a wild kit-bash" thread for their story.

20211021_131243.jpg

20211021_131304.jpg

20211021_131350.jpg

Edited by 33C
added detail
  • Like 5

On 21/10/2021 at 23:16, 33C said:

I too, have just found this thread and submit my wooden coaches lightly restored but not my builds.

A few more pic's.

20211021_131409.jpg

20211021_131525.jpg

20211021_131555.jpg

Edited by 33C
added detail
  • Like 4

A couple of Ian Kirk suburban's I made many years ago. Sprayed gloss yellow then teak paint drawn down in layers to simulate "wood grain". Transfers and then gloss varnish drawn with the "grain" to seal everything. Jackson coach wheels with teak painted centres.

20211021_233004.jpg

20211021_233108.jpg

Edited by 33C
added detail
  • Like 4

LNER CCT, Parkside, I believe, and a Triang luggage van in a light, scumbled teak, satin varnished.  Done at the same time as the Kirk's.

20211021_233223.jpg

20211021_233351.jpg

Edited by 33C
added detail
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Blackthorn said:

Thanks for the input. I guess I don't fit I don't fit  into the elite for asking a question.

I'm hardly "elite"! I got the idea for the scumble finish from an article in MRC and to quote Katy Perry, " I liked it! "  :read:

16 hours ago, Blackthorn said:

Thanks for the input. I guess I don't fit I don't fit  into the elite for asking a question.

Well, firstly, there's no elite on here and anyone who thinks they're it will soon get it knocked out of them.

Secondly, you only posted on Thursday.   We all have lives - I've been prepping and then attending Leeds show with a layout this weekend and haven't looked at RMWeb for any length of time since the middle of last week.    Looking now, I see I have had feedback and renewed activity this week on a thread I started in 2014.   Instant gratification is not always guaranteed.

Finally, your carriages.   As I'm sure you know these bear little resemblance to actual Gresley vehicles, being made to fit the then standard Hornby 57' underframe.   However you're on the right lines as far as improving the finish goes as they make a decent start and you can get a nice teak effect on them.   The master of these is Graeme King, whose cut and shut conversions to actual and approximate diagrams are superb.   He gives a step by step of his finishing here.

There are a number of other contributors who have done similar finishes on them - a search for 'Margate Gresley' might bring up what you are looking for. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Blackthorn said:

Mark - as others have said it's nothing to do with there being an elite on rmweb most questions get a number of polite answers, as you have. However it might have been better to have started a new thread with a clear title.  This thread is for pictures of teak finishes rather than techniques. 

Thank you for the video links Chris, (now I know what I will have in my sandwich with my lunch!). I'm going to try a few techniques and see what I'm happy with.  I really don't care if  they're 100% accurate models, I just don't them to look so train setish.  I seem to have enough to practice on!!

Thanks again.

MJ

Edited by Blackthorn
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/10/2021 at 15:04, Blackthorn said:

Having just found this thread, I was wondering what varnish/finish anyone could recommend for improving the look of the coaches.  I just bought three sets of three coaches (the price was too good to pass up but three sets? what was I thinking?). they look fantastic but the finish looks too flat, I imagine they would have been more glossy. Ideally I would like something I could airbrush on because I wouldn't want to ruin the teak finish.

Thanks.

MJ.

Mark.

(Sorry to go by MJ, but there are too many Marks in this family!!)

Gresley coaches.jpg

Another neighbor...

Sorry for my late reply, we've been on vacation in Astoria. 

Years ago (more like decades) there was an LNER layout at Brighton Model World with rakes of these coaches with a simple improved finish of Humbrol Tan glossy wash and varnish. However Mike Trice's method is well worth considering.  As Jwealleans pointed out the lining is a bit OTT.

Regards Shaun

• RMweb Premium
On 26/10/2021 at 04:57, Mark said:

This is one made from MJT bits. I used Mike Trice’s painting approach but it has been pointed out that the base coat colour isn’t quite right and the variation between panels could be more marked.

83438DEB-0B5D-47A3-A087-289749DBD07E.jpeg.5331231bbe5bf62d8693c0b414ab97ea.jpeg5F97E638-06BA-4839-8B93-23F8EDD77ABE.jpeg.812a8f6808dc7df83223587dfed42565.jpeg

Looks pretty good to me. How did you apply the lining?

Regards Shaun.

19 hours ago, micklner said:

Very nice build  , what is era is it for ?. LNER period would have been plain "Teak" Brown

Thankyou; it's about 1890/1900, newish with a bit of dirt! Cheers Simon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've been teaking / improving for the past 6 months - gone by in a Trice!!

The first coach is an attempt at making a Midland clerestory look a bit more GC-ish. Panelled with micro strip and re-modelled the roof vents and lighting. Did away with the corridor connection at the brake end.

Pics 2/3/4 are an experiment in improving the triang-Hornby short celestories.

2 is just 2 coats of sepia wash

3 is some brushing over the panels with the Mike Trice basecoat pallette then sepia wask

Both of these used the 'LNER' examples as a start point.

To complete the rake I gave the GWR brake third the full MT treatment. Very pleased with the way it's turning out.

IMG_20231113_144147685.jpg

IMG_20231113_144245622.jpg

IMG_20231113_144320234.jpg

IMG_20231113_144415103.jpg

Edited by B17 Arsenal
  • Like 8