Hi,

I've managed to get hold of 6 Hornby coaches:

1) Mk2 BFK
2) Mk2 FK (Lima)
3) Mk1 RMB
4) Mk1 RBR
5) Mk1 SLEEPER
6) Mk1 SLEEPER

I have a plan of doing a basic detailing job on them... so my main plan is to scrape of the moulded handrails, drill out holes for the replacements, put in an entirely new underframe, change the buffers, replace the wheels and repaint them. However I cannot find any good images of those coaches in the BR Blue/Grey livery as something I can refer to whilst doing the project. So can anyone be kind enough to atleast help me with images. Also if a rough idea about the interior colours can be provided that will be great.

I'll put up images of the work I've covered so far.

Cheers!

Hi Snaptonic, I cannot access filckr hence I turned to RMWeb.

Well, that's a bit awkward. :(   Is there a specific reason why Flickr is off limits to you?

Anyway, here are a couple of links to other sites you may find useful.

Paul Bartlett's site, with coaches at the end of their lives but still worth studying.

80s Rail is another site full of useful prototype photos.

Wikipedia has pages for the Mk1 and Mk2, with links to other sites about the coaches. 

Books worth looking out for are British Railways Mark 1 Coaches (and supplement) by Keith Parkin, published by the HMRS, and British Rail Mark 2 Coaches by Michael Harris, published by Mallard Venture. Neither book is cheap, so it might be worth seeing if you can borrow them from your local library.

Things to bear in mind when detailing your coaches is the period you're trying to model. For Mk1 stock, remember the end steps were removed for safety reasons during the late 1960s. Mk1s were also fitted with several different kinds of bogie, whereas the Mk2s only had effectively one kind. (I'm simplifying here.)

Believe me, researching details on coaches can be just as complicated as locos! I'm currently building a pair of 7mm scale Mk1s for a client, and even though I've built seven of the things before I'm still discovering new things!

Hi Snaptonic,

Those links were very useful. The school I live in has blocked sites like flickr, ehattons, wordpress, blogs etc. So I have no control over all these things.

I don't think any library here in India will have these books :(

I'm not modelling any specific period. Their mainly for display. I'm doing the coaches up according to the bogies that they already have.

Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know where I can get these bits for my coaches?

Comet Models, Item RC3 is 24 BR roof vents + 2 toilet tank fillers for £2.50. They make Mk1 kits and sell most of the bits separately.

There is a minimum order of £10 but as you have 6 coaches to do, that shouldn't be a problem. 

I don't know their arrangements for sending overseas but it should be on their website. www.cometmodels.co.uk

John

Comet Models, Item RC3 is 24 BR roof vents + 2 toilet tank fillers for £2.50. They make Mk1 kits and sell most of the bits separately.

There is a minimum order of £10 but as you have 6 coaches to do, that shouldn't be a problem. 

I don't know their arrangements for sending overseas but it should be on their website. www.cometmodels.co.uk

John

Thanks John, that was very useful.

Don't worry about sending it overseas, I am the only one out of a family of 32 who ended up in India  :no2: I can always have someone keep it until I can get it when someone makes a trip to India.

Got a bit of work done today. Will post pics later.

I started off with the Hornby Mk2 BFK - cut off the damaged end, sanded it down to a smooth finish. Then took out all the interiors gave it a good clean up. Finally I sat and took off most of the detailing that is moulded on. I've also taken off the old buffers.

I then moved onto the Lima Mk1 RBR. Took off the moulded detail on the end that seems to be incorrect and sanded those down also.

I made handrails out of fine guitar string as that seemed to be perfect at the only thing I had at my disposal. I've kept them separately in neatly labeled zippo pouches.

Pics to follow up soon. 

J.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Snaptonic,

Those links were very useful. The school I live in has blocked sites like flickr, ehattons, wordpress, blogs etc. So I have no control over all these things.

I don't think any library here in India will have these books :(

I'm not modelling any specific period. Their mainly for display. I'm doing the coaches up according to the bogies that they already have.

Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated

Do they provide any specific reasons why they block those sites? is it maybe worth asking to have the blocks removed so you can access them? might just be over-zealous firewall software. Worst they can do is say 'sorry, no'?

Do they provide any specific reasons why they block those sites? is it maybe worth asking to have the blocks removed so you can access them? might just be over-zealous firewall software. Worst they can do is say 'sorry, no'?

It's blocked by the administration. The reasons they give for sites like:-

Hattons and Ebay are "shopping and e-commerce sites"

Flickr and Facebook are "Social networking sites"

funny enough tumblr, Rails of Sheffield, Olivias Trains etc all work. It's very puzzling......

Archived