Cambrian Railways 15 Class Gladiator Kit

81A Oldoak

I am making a determined and renewed effort to complete my Gladiator 7mm scale kit of the Cambrian Railways 15 Class 0-6-0 lcomotive.

The tender went together easily and the flares were surprisingly easy to form. The tender is fitted with three-point compensation using home-made hornblocks. The chassis is nickel-silver and assembled easily. I was able to produce a free-rolling chassis at the first attempt without resort to an expensive jig (which I don't own). The gearbox is MSC and runs very smoothly. The loco chssis is not compensated, but the centre axle has some vertical play. I will finish the basic superstructure today.

I have a couple of questions. First, I intend to finish he loco in early BR livery. I am considering the version with "British Raiways" in full on the tender in the faux-GWR style. The kit's instructions state that locos carrying this device were unlined green. Can anyone confirm this as I have been unable to find a colour photo. Secondly, did this class ever reach Newport (Mon) via Brecon on the erstwhile Brecon & Merthyr line?

post-13142-0-17975900-1381046691_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-39926700-1381046693_thumb.jpg

Chris

Il have a look through my books and see if I can find anything.

Thanks Steve. I fitted the cab, firebox, smoke-box and boiler to the footplate today so most of the heavy lifting is completed. However, I don't think I will be able to do any more work until next Saturday morning. 

Hi Chris

There is a photo of one of the class in the region of Gaer Junction, I believe it was taken by Michael Hale, on a passenger working so it would be logical to say it was working in from Brecon. I will join Steve in trying to find it!!!!

As far as the pseudo lettering in the GW style is concerned, I cannot recall seeing a colour photo anywhere, but the British Railways lettering was certainly carried, and black and white photos exist, looking like GW green was the base colour.

Again I am sure the photos will turn up...............when I am looking for something else!!!!!

Cheers

Chris

Progress with the 15 Class. The smoke box was a bit of a beast to assemble. It comprises the boiler tube and four laminations of brass. Galvanised garden wire was used to hold each layer in place as I soldered the parts together using a small blow torch. I am very glad that part of the construction is over.

post-13142-0-21028300-1381398844_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-28377800-1381398853_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-92256800-1381398862_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The side view is interesting. Really does seem to share a lot of similarities with the Johnson MR 2F's in their later belpaire form although these are shorter overall. As Beyer Peacock and Robert Stephenson built these as well as many of the MR locos perhaps there was a measure of design crossover. Indeed the tender could almost be a Johnson 2.950gal/3.250gal

Izzy

• RMweb Gold

Nice model Chris but if it is the Class 15 kit it ought to be black as the GWR rebuilt them  usuall referred to as 844. As yours has the Belpaire firebox it is the rebuilt version. I find Chris Basten of Dragon models the best source of info on liveries. I picked up a part built model of 73 another Cambrian 0-6-0 it is scratchbuilt but needs a lot of finishing but it will be a little different. The drawing is a Mike Lloyd one. Mike would have been most pleased to see it he always enjoyed seeing things built from his drawings.

Don

Nice model Chris but if it is the Class 15 kit it ought to be black as the GWR rebuilt them  usuall referred to as 844. As yours has the Belpaire firebox it is the rebuilt version. I find Chris Basten of Dragon models the best source of info on liveries. I picked up a part built model of 73 another Cambrian 0-6-0 it is scratchbuilt but needs a lot of finishing but it will be a little different. The drawing is a Mike Lloyd one. Mike would have been most pleased to see it he always enjoyed seeing things built from his drawings.

Don

Don,

Thank you for the compliment and comments. Chris Basten and I are close (he sells my Ixion locos) and he found a posted a superb picture of one of the class in the very early BR green livery. It is in an earlier posting and can be seen if you scroll up. No prgress this weekend due to other commitments, but I hope to complete the hot work later this week.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

The hot work is completed and I am now fettling the various castings before fitting them. I replaced the white-metal buffer-stocks with Slater's brass products. It further ups the cost, but the the finish is better; the originals will probably end on eBay. I will try to take some photos of the finished, but unpainted loco this week, but the Ixion Fowler diesels are due to land in the Uk at the end of the week so I could be otherwise engaged. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was taking studio photos of the Ixion Fowler diesel loco today, so I thought I would show progress on the Cambrian loco build. The plating at the base of the smokebox needs to be properly fitted. It's mostly small castings  and the firebox backhead remaining. Balance weights also need to be fitted to the wheels. I'll be at Tolworth show tomorrow.

post-13142-0-31283500-1383932807_thumb.jpg

Chris, great job. You're the proof that the Ixion partners really are modellers, as Phil Badger is too busy developing our locos and his own Badgerbits Aussie N scale kits and RTR, and I am, well, still drawing layout plans for myself and other modellers.

However, O-Aust Kits has just developed a kit for the Hunter Valley "non-air" coal hoppers that I have shown you here in the past, so now there remains no reasonable excuse for me not to commence a Newcastle (NSW) O gauge private line layout. I have access to a free source of suitable locos...

Now, if my moved-out adult children would just empty the garage of their drums, bookcases, lamps, suitcases, furniture, moving boxes...

Lindsay.

A short diversion from this project, but with, I believe, a Cambrian flavour. I used to love this. And still do.

Would someone please link this to my Ivor thread in kit building and scratch building.

Thanks

OzzyO.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The green and black paint has been applied to the superstructure and the buffer beams have been under-coated with some very old Airfix M1 matt brick red. I am now having a minor identity crisis. My original plan was to finish the model with the GWR style "BRITISH RAILWAYS" lettering on the tender, but I am now thinking about finishing it in Great Western livery. Since I have a Cambrian Small Sharp Stewart 4-4-0 from Dragon Models to build, they would make a handsome pair. I have built a few wagons in GWR livery and a Toad brake van under construction may go the same way as I already have one in BR livery. My South Wales Valleys' stock is all BR so perhaps that is the way ahead: BR for South Wales, GWR inter-War for the Cambrian. Life is never simple. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a very frustrating time trying to finish this model. The loco and tender superstructures have been painted and HMRS Methfix transfers applied. The green paint is from the Precision Paints applied with an airbrush. However, whenever I apply varnish from an aeresol that states it suitable for all paints including enamels, the green paint only on the tender sides starts to crack. I have had to strip the tender sides and repaint three times and face doing it a fourth time. I have some Precision Paints satin varnish, but my efforts with an airbrush on some test parts have yet to produce a satisfactory finish and took five days to dry, although there is no cracking. Has anyone used Humbrol or Testors spray varnishes over Precision Paint?

• RMweb Gold

Chris

How long did you leave the precision paint to harden before spraying it with Testors?

Precision paint is slow to harden and until it has the Testors solvents will attack it. I give it at least a couple of weeks in a dry warm dust free location.

When you spray the Testors Varnish over the model don't point it at the model. Sort of waft it in the general direction so it rains on it in a sort of mist. Much of the solvent will evaporate before getting to your model. The other thing to do is waft on a very light coat. Give it a day to dry and then add another slightly heavier coat. The first light waft will have hardened and formed a barrier protecting the paint layer.

The other thing is the Testor sprays need to be thoroughly warm at room temperature. if they aren't or aren't allowed to get evenly warm they can produce a white bloom in the finish

That took longer to write than the spraying would

Archived