Buildings for Ormskirk ( East lancs side + Cottages )

• RMweb Gold

Stunning work, this is why I buy ready made buildings, if I tried anything like that is would be a total disaster and personal disappointment.

I so admire skills such as this.

More please Ivan

If you tried this as your first model, yes, you might struggle. But starting with something simpler, no reason why you should find it difficult, especially these days when the fiddly stuff such as windows can be bought.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have only just found this thread & I'm absolutely stunned by the quality & realism of your models. They are all extremely inspiring. Thank you for posting, please can we see more.

• RMweb Gold

I have only just found this thread & I'm absolutely stunned by the quality & realism of your models. They are all extremely inspiring. Thank you for posting, please can we see more.

You might like to look at the Peterborough North thread, where I believe Gravy Train’s structures are a key element of its success.

• Like 1

Great models!

I do hope you get around to building a full layout on Ormskirk as it is a part of the world much neglected by railway modellers.

For some reason the railways of Liverpool and North Merseyside have been neglected for modelling and I've always been at a loss to understand why.

Always thought Rainford Junction would make a great club layout too .I'd actually join a local club on the basis of them building that!

Great models!

I do hope you get around to building a full layout on Ormskirk as it is a part of the world much neglected by railway modellers.

For some reason the railways of Liverpool and North Merseyside have been neglected for modelling and I've always been at a loss to understand why.

Always thought Rainford Junction would make a great club layout too .I'd actually join a local club on the basis of them building that!

Hi SN, yes, probably right in the grand scheme of things but then again, we have, Speke Junction, Warrington Arppley, Bank Hall, Ormskirk, Walton on the Hill, Liverpool Lime street, Sefton arms Aintree central and Preston and West Kirby. quite a few others.

So quite a few, quite a few northern LYR layouts too.

some of these layouts are private ventures, like Ormskirk.

Rainford junction would be nice, Ormskirk to do justice you need at least 25ft and that's pushing it.

Pete

Edited by Gravy Train

Ormskirk Goods Shed

Hi Pete,

Excellent work there, you have captured the look of the buildings very well.

I used to use Ormskirk station to travel to Liverpool to go to Hatton's by riding my bike from Burscough to my gran's in Ormskirk. The whole place was a shabby shadow of its former self with the doors painted in BR blue, although it has faired somewhat better than Burscough Junction !  I have also booked the odd taxi or two from the coal offices after nights out in Ormskirk.

Gibbo.

Hi SN, yes, probably right in the grand scheme of things but then again, we have, Speke Junction, Warrington Arppley, Bank Hall, Ormskirk, Walton on the Hill, Liverpool Lime street, Sefton arms Aintree central and Preston and West Kirby. quite a few others.

So quite a few, quite a few northern LYR layouts too.

some of these layouts are private ventures, like Ormskirk.

Rainford junction would be nice, Ormskirk to do justice you need at least 25ft and that's pushing it.

Pete

With the exception of Lime St and Walton on the Hill I'm not aware of any of those other layouts!  Aintree Central. I'd like to see that! Who has made that and has it been exhibited?

With the exception of Lime St and Walton on the Hill I'm not aware of any of those other layouts!  Aintree Central. I'd like to see that! Who has made that and has it been exhibited?

Hi,

I made Aintree Central, for a customer, its a private layout, it is not exhibited, more a permanent fixture, he also has Sefton Arms but I didn't work on that model.

Ormskirk, I furnished all the buildings for it, with the road bridge to do at some point then I think that is it, structure wise, I will be posting up the cottages on station approach shortly.

Pete

• 2 months later...

Hi Rilsky,

thankyou for your kind comments, much appreciated.

the next structure on this project, is the High street 3 arched stone bridge over the tracks at the station, opposite the Church building and station and yard approaches.

in the period modelled here, it would be stone setts.

Peter.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My family moved up to Aughton in late 60's and I went to Ormskirk for school, so a bit of nostalgia for me. I was fortunate enough to still catch diesels travelling from Liverpool Exchange to Preston and points north. Love to see more of your buildings, as they are all quite exceptional.

Best regards,

Tom D

Hi Tom,

thanks for the kind comment, unfortunately  never saw the Railway at Ormskirk when it was a through line but know of it fairly well, it being the ex LYR of which I model for myself.

I pass the station quite regularly  on cycle rides throughout the year.

I don’t think there are many stations were on one platform, the station building is brick, opposite side it’s stone from the east lancs days.

It is an ongoing commision to construct all the Architecture for the station and yard, as it was in LYR days.

32 minutes ago, Tom D said:

I am not sure, but I believe that there was a signal box on the platform close to where the "Skem Dodger" would have ran from. Do you have any pictures of this?

Best regards,

Tom D  

Hi Tom,

The signal box was on the Preston bound (down?) platform and the only thing left of it that I can remember were the lower part of the wall and the cast iron sections that the rods and levers passed through that made up part of the platform. The position of the signal box is just to right of the goods shed shewn on the map below.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18&lat=53.56998&lon=-2.88100&layers=168&right=BingHyb

There is one photograph of the signal box in this selection:

https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/advanced-search/?class=any&livery=99&region=00&fromyear=00&toyear=00&location=ormskirk&caption=&sort=date&search=Search

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 14/11/2018 at 19:08, sn said:

Great models!

Yes, I have thought of building it, in the past but you would need a lot of space to justify it, as it’s a junction.