My initial impression...

hahughson

Just a bit more of a nudge to go and pick the mag up with some practical content.

Roger Merry's layout 'Marston and Atherby' is an interesting concept with its buildings made from polystyrene pizza bases.

Marston.jpg

A complementary article details some of the tips.

pizza box.jpg

Phil Parker dips his head into the murky world of canal water.

water.jpg

There's a subs offer (£10.99 per quarter by DD) with 3 Bachmann wagons , that's nearly sold out so hurry if you're tempted.

wagon subs offer.JPG

That's me sold, knew I saved those pizza bases for a reason the other week.  The Small Controller will be delighted, it's his favourite food although The Long Haired Controller may frown a bit about lack of variety in our diet.  May have to try a Hawaiian, that'll count as some of our five-a-day if I slice it accurately into 15...

Managed to catch up with it at the local Smiffs (aka The Reading Library!)and can quit honestly say I'm impressed by the bold fresh style and also the eye catching page formatting. In these somewhat troubled times, I quite understand that disposable income is somewhat limited and yes, even magazines may be considered somewhat of a luxury, but the new look added to the eye catching new in-house styling should win new readers.

The neatest addition in my eyes is the 'Factfile' with an 'at a glance' summary, hopefully inspiring others to say 'I can do that'

I like it too. Some great layout photos by Andy, really top notch. Good reviews by Tony Wright (that 4f looks amazing).

I like the quality of the paper, printing and colour rendering. Difficult to be too critical on one edition; I'd like some prototype articles - but the others all do that...

If I could only get the team to take over at least one North American model magazine!

Best, Pete.

My copy of BRM arrived in the post earlier today and I'm afraid to say my initial impression is that I could easily confuse it with Model Rail!  That said it's printed on better quality paper with more heavily airbrushed photos.

Personally I really dislike the photos on pages 34 and 35, not because I think they are bad photos just that they would be better in a photoshop magazine than in a model magazine. They make me wonder about how good is the actual modelling inspiration photo on page 85 as I have no idea what is real and what is fake or were these photos more heavily edited because the nature of the article was operation and not modelling?

I'm inclined to believe the latter, as some of the other photos, like the one at the top of page 21 are very nice.

Hamish

Interesting. The images on P34/35 have no photoshopping other than cropping and brightness etc . Follow the quoted source in the mag to read and see more about New Haden and you,all be able to judge if it's good modelling.

Page 21 has more tidying up in Photoshop to correct background sections but even after looking at the image for many hours someone spotted something straight away over the weekend, which is an amusing howler in one way, but nothing to do with the model.

The MI image on P85, other than cropping, is exactly the same as presented on RMweb in the Realistic Modelling topic by the owner of the loco, just a well executed shot of excellent material with a hint of smoke.

So it's not easy for people to present a consistent argument for or against sometimes but that doesn't seem to affect the prejudices of some without full knowledge of the source material or facts. Please, Kenton, don't infer that the quality of modelling is materially misrepresented, all I try to do is do justice to someones model, tidy distractions and present it in a form that communicates any atmosphere in a model.

Although incorrectly attributed in the mag (I own the loco and took the picture on Page 85) I can confirm that Andy Y is correct - the ONLY editing carried out on this image is the addition of some subtle smoke.

The pic printed in the magazine has been taken from a low resolution copy I posted on a thread in this site. It's a pity that nobody asked for a high resolution copy before printing it!

Nice to see it there anyway.

Adrian Knowles

Although incorrectly attributed in the mag (I own the loco and took the picture on Page 85) I can confirm that Andy Y is correct - the ONLY editing carried out on this image is the addition of some subtle smoke.

The pic printed in the magazine has been taken from a low resolution copy I posted on a thread in this site. It's a pity that nobody asked for a high resolution copy before printing it!

Hi Adrian,

I thought you had sent me the hi-res after the conversation. I shall investigate (and the attribution)!

• RMweb Gold

Just a bit more of a nudge to go and pick the mag up with some practical content.

Roger Merry's layout 'Marston and Atherby' is an interesting concept with its buildings made from polystyrene pizza bases.

attachicon.gifMarston.jpg

I thought those buildings looked very tasty .....

... hat, coat - well I couldn't resist it  (and it really is a very interesting method of construction, alas the way Dominos deliver round here by the time the pizzas arrive about the only thing they are good for is building baseboards, so no supply of boxes etc). 

We've had a great uptake on this month's subscription offers and we're just about to run out of the Bachmann wagon offer so act now if you want that.

wagon subs offer.JPG

The direct link to subscribe online is: https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/Store/-999/Subscriptions/

We do have more controllers still available though if you miss that or would prefer the controller.

controller subs offer.jpg

Offer - £10.99 per quarter payable by DD.

Archived