Acacia Avenue - BR parcels and stabling SOLD

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

Well, it's about time that I start a new thread, following on from Orchard Road thread discussions.

I've been thinking about a new layout now that Orchard Road is 'finished' and a few simple criteria became important and in no particular order.

1) Small layout that this easy to transport.
2) Simple shunting possibilities.
3) Operable from the front.
4) BR Blue (1970's / 1980's) primarily, but with possible option of running different eras.
5) Capable of being exhibited on my own if necessary.
6) Something a little different.
7) Goods or industrial siding.
8) Scenically interesting.

I came to realise that there was no possibility in modelling something that has wide appeal, so better to model something that I want to enjoy and if others do as well, then all good. Getting to exhibitions is an important aspect, but I've also noticed that some exhibition managers are occasionally reluctant to have BR diesel layouts. So, I'm building something that I want to!

As the thread develops, I will explain some of the influences as and when they become relavent.

Anyway, enough pre-ample.

The scenic board is 1200mm (4ft) x 450mm (18") and not rectangular - i.e. tapers along one side. The boards are plywood, with integral backscene and will incoporate a pelmet with lights and 'viewing' slot at one end and along most of one side. So, at exhibitions the board will be positioned at an angle and therefore not seen one side or one end on. The fiddle yard will be a separate board, with cassettes (probably). Only two points - C&L 00FS - with a siding for parcels / general goods, plus a stabling line. The layout will be suburban / semi-suburban, so mainly buildings and plenty of details and a few cameos.

The scenic board has been made, apart from fascias, all ready for the track work. Making a start on the points in the next few days.

Edited by mudmagnet
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Sounds awesome mate, I like the tapered board idea I think that alone adds interest.

Look forward to seeing it progress

Thanks Neil.

You've had a bit of heads-up on this one ....

Myself and Ray saw a triangular layout last year at a show, but viewed on the short end - very effective. The tapered board has been designed so that the layout is viewed from the end and along the side (although part of the side will be hidden). Hopefully it will work as planned and I have a fairly clear idea in my mind on how I want it to work .....

I'm a big fan of Orchard Road , one of the reasons I found the forum and joined.Really looking forward to seeing this progress.Regarding the name,you could change it to Acacia Road! As that is where the great superhero Bananaman lived! Err 29 to be precise.Am I showing my age?

Ahh! At last the mystery layout has been revealed. Very interesting twist with the board shape.

I love the chosen name, very reminiscent of little old ladies with Dame Edna glasses gossiping on doorsteps.

It'll be good to watch the progress on this one, & if it's anything like Orchard Road, it'll be worth waiting for.

I'm amazed that the Domestic Management Co-ordinator has allowed you further dabblings in the garage.

See you tomorrow night,

Cheers

Rob

• Like 1

Myself and Ray saw a triangular layout last year at a show, but viewed on the short end - very effective.

That would have been "Villier Street" at Thorncombe.  Very simple but very different and very well executed.

I know you're bringing Orchard Road next year, so can I pencil this one in for 2015?

• RMweb Gold

I'm a big fan of Orchard Road , one of the reasons I found the forum and joined.Really looking forward to seeing this progress.Regarding the name,you could change it to Acacia Road! As that is where the great superhero Bananaman lived! Err 29 to be precise.Am I showing my age?

Thanks Dave. I'm hoping that Acacia Avenue will be popular, but will be different to Orchard Road, something that I'm keen on doing.

As far as the name is concerned - it's named after an Iron Maiden song - 22 Acacia Avenue. I'm not going to say much more about the lyrics just yet ....

There will be a road along one part of the layout, plus a bridge at the end, so either could be Acacia Avenue - just not decided which at the moment.

That would have been "Villier Street" at Thorncombe.  Very simple but very different and very well executed.

I know you're bringing Orchard Road next year, so can I pencil this one in for 2015?

Well spotted Graham!

Yes, please pencil in for 2015!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard

So you finally made a start on your new layout. I like the idea of the tapered boards I think it will good.

See you tomorrow night.

RAY70B

Ahh! At last the mystery layout has been revealed. Very interesting twist with the board shape.

I love the chosen name, very reminiscent of little old ladies with Dame Edna glasses gossiping on doorsteps.

It'll be good to watch the progress on this one, & if it's anything like Orchard Road, it'll be worth waiting for.

I'm amazed that the Domestic Management Co-ordinator has allowed you further dabblings in the garage.

See you tomorrow night,

Cheers

Rob

Thanks guys.

I wanted to do something a little different, just hope that it works out OK.

'Planning Permission' did take some persuasion! At least being a single scenic board, it could come indoors to work on ....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard.

Certainly sounds interesting.....

Am looking forward to seeing progress.....

Debuting at Barnstaple show next year????

no pressure!!!

Cheers Bill

There is a possibility of a debut at Barnstaple next year.

Looks like we've found you Mr Magnet....

I'm hiding here somewhere!

Hi Richard, Something different and very interesting, How about a track plan?

Andy :sungum:

Track plan to follow, along with some photos at the weekend - hopefully.....

it's nothing complicated though - can't be with only two points !

There is a possibility of a debut at Barnstaple next year.

I'm hiding here somewhere!

Track plan to follow, along with some photos at the weekend - hopefully.....

it's nothing complicated though - can't be with only two points !

Two points, that sounds complicated to me!

Rob

• Like 1

Its amazing just what Ian Futers can do with 3 points :O

Looking forward to the pics, I am at the Kirkby in Ashfield show with Trebudoc at the weekend and then delivering it to its NEW OWNER Sunday night on my way home.

Good luck and ENJOY.

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Dave. I'm hoping that Acacia Avenue will be popular, but will be different to Orchard Road, something that I'm keen on doing.

As far as the name is concerned - it's named after an Iron Maiden song - 22 Acacia Avenue. I'm not going to say much more about the lyrics just yet ....

There will be a road along one part of the layout, plus a bridge at the end, so either could be Acacia Avenue - just not decided which at the moment.

Well spotted Graham!

Yes, please pencil in for 2015!

I was wondering if you were an Iron Maiden fan. I presume that Eddie will be in a shed somewhere....

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your comments guys!

It's good to read comments that peers make about my modelling!

I'm hoping that all will turn out well, but i've only just started ....

Had some assistance from Ray (thanks) this evening on making the points. Only concerned about making the vees to be honest as I've made points before. The last being the C&L kit on East Yarde, but this was the complete kit, so did not need to worry about the vee or blades.

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering if you were an Iron Maiden fan. I presume that Eddie will be in a shed somewhere....

Yeah, a big fan!

Great link to Eddie though - a great era (Piece of Mind).

Does remind me of the Iron Maiden PC game that came out a few years ago.

Eddie will be making an appearance on the layout! I had decided that he would feature somewhere long ago. Just starting a tradition on my layouts, having the Iron Maiden / Judas Priest / ACDC grafitti on Orchard Road!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yeah, a big fan!

Great link to Eddie though - a great era (Piece of Mind).

Does remind me of the Iron Maiden PC game that came out a few years ago.

Eddie will be making an appearance on the layout! I had decided that he would feature somewhere long ago. Just starting a tradition on my layouts, having the Iron Maiden / Judas Priest / ACDC grafitti on Orchard Road!

Saw ACDC live 3 times in the late 80s to mid 90s. Spent many a happy hour of my late teens in the garage at my folk's house building (pedal) bikes and thinking about building a layout. Run to the Hills indeed.... sadly all those tapes have gone (worn out) and haven't been replaced by CDs. 

• RMweb Gold

Saw ACDC live 3 times in the late 80s to mid 90s. Spent many a happy hour of my late teens in the garage at my folk's house building (pedal) bikes and thinking about building a layout. Run to the Hills indeed.... sadly all those tapes have gone (worn out) and haven't been replaced by CDs. 

Never had chance to see ACDC myself ...

I spend my time whilst revising for exams listening to Live After Death ! Awesome stuff. One highlight seeing Maiden play Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner on two occasions!

• RMweb Gold

Topic reset

I've been filing up the rail for the two points.

Both vee's have been filed and soldered.

The blades have also been filed down.

Planning to make a start on the first point tonight.

I'm using C&L plastic sleepers and chairs (their 4PK101A turnout kit) and of course code 75 rail.

Photos to follow when I have something to show!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've had a couple of productive days!

The first point has been assmebled - just need to add the tie-bar and solder the wires.

The second is well under way and hope to get finished tonight / tomorrow.

I've glued the foam underlay onto the board and drawn the approximate track centres. Need to get some more Copydex before track laying can commence.

Before the track laying can commence though, I will solder the dropper wires onto the underside of the rails and then feed these through pre-drilled holes.

The photos below show progress so far ....

A view from the end that the layout will be seen from exhibitions. A pelmet will sit above roughly at the height of the backscene board, which is integral with the board.

post-7854-0-57860800-1381601943.jpg

A slightly elevated view, showing the track centres. The two points at the far end. Fiddle yard will be beyond, through a bridge.

post-7854-0-88894000-1381601942.jpg

Track roughly positioned before the under lay has been glued down.

post-7854-0-79484300-1381601941.jpg

The first completed point.

post-7854-0-32840100-1381601942.jpg

I'll add a few photos showing a little more detail on the points later.

I still need to make the legs and fiddle yard. I'll also show views under the board to show how this has been constructed.

• Like 5