The LMS had a few as far as I know. They were used on black 5s to see what the locos used in coal ( I might be wrong ) but they removed the data boxes at the back and they were used as normal tenders in the 60s.

I found the plans in a modelling mag so I cut a Hornby tender up.

The LMS had a few as far as I know. They were used on black 5s to see what the locos used in coal ( I might be wrong ) but they removed the data boxes at the back and they were used as normal tenders in the 60s.

I found the plans in a modelling mag so I cut a Hornby tender up.

Hi Mark

A photo (mine) of the same loco at Man Vicc c1963

post-1161-0-28645300-1524174471_thumb.jpg

The exact date is not recorded BUT as both signal boxes appear complete it must be c1963.?

• Like 4

I hope its not 44697 :O .

The picture I have seen of 44697 has the top feed nearest the chimney. Now I'm confused ( that's not hard)   

Hi Mark

Sorry but it is 44697

post-1161-0-18907900-1524178292_thumb.jpg

Your pic must be at a different date ?

Also a prototype for a badly fitted chimney

Edited by DerekEm8
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

I have not been posting updates on bucks lane ( as you can tell ) because there has been a lot going on with work, family, other commitments, but there has been some work going on with BL.

I took BL Fareham in October last year and what a weekend it was. A very good show and BL ran very well with all the operators doing a fantastic job at keeping things moving.

BL also went to My clubs show at the Rochdale masonic hall in March and like Fareham it ran very well.

But the same thing was said by people at both shows saying why I haven't done anything on the sides of the layout ( the curves).

So when we got back and put BL back up I stared to think about what people had said about putting scenery on the curved sections, so the decision was made to redo the curved sections. First section to be redone is going to have a viaduct then goes into a tunnel just like Summerseat ( parts of the layout are based on things around the North West ) I will be taking photos as I am building it.

Here are some photos so far

Bucks Lane at the masonic hall

548360646_buckslane001.jpg.bfb1a8e74cdfaf032e879d24c70fe554.jpg

This is the NEW curve section. The viaduct will be next then the tunnel

bucks8.jpg.7a506595f3254a9ea81703b26f622e6a.jpg

More photos will appear and I will be updating it here to.

Mark  

• Like 9

I can build my kits at work still. Well at the moment but I have had some good news. 

A few months ago I applied for another job ( still on the railways ) the position is for mobile operations manager. 

Well I got it and I am just waiting to be released to go to mom school then the fun will begin. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, mark axlecounter said:

I can build my kits at work still. Well at the moment but I have had some good news. 

A few months ago I applied for another job ( still on the railways ) the position is for mobile operations manager. 

Well I got it and I am just waiting to be released to go to mom school then the fun will begin. 

Well done mate, good news.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, mark axlecounter said:

When I had an Area job it was amazing how often the route between two of my outbases took me past a model railway shop.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

On 20/04/2018 at 01:10, mark axlecounter said:

Thanks Derick, now it looks like I have to find out what number that forward top feed black 5 Is because it must not be the correct number

They mixed and matched I think... I’ve got pictures of the same loco several years apart within different feeds.  Maybe it was as they were refreshed boiler wise? 

• Agree 1

I have a photo of the same Loco with top feed at the front and with the self  weighing tender that’s why I did the model.  Confusing isn’t it when the real Loco gets modified ha ha. 

The modelling in the signal box will stop , but I knew that when I went for the job. But I can do them at home from now on and concentrate on Bucks Lane on Monday’s and open days when I go to the club. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 months later...

Hi all who has been following this topic, 

sorry I have not kept it up to date but I have had things getting in the way. ( I keep saying that but it’s the truth) 

I have now done 95% of the new curve  just need little bits to finish it off , but here are the latest pictures and I am happy with how it looks. 

Any comments are welcome (good or bad ) 

F74B66AF-9939-4D70-9F32-D5C087B274B0.jpeg

4B1A35C0-A379-4B6A-B8BF-F777949F4320.jpeg

C89620A1-0631-4DAC-B6DD-F44B7E212EFF.jpeg

• Like 11

Thanks,

You are right that you don't see them often on a layout. I wanted to put them in not only to look the part but to see if I could do it.

They are c&l chairs glued onto peco bullhead sleepers (the guard rail is c&l to).

Even straight viaducts have guard rails.

Mark  

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, mark axlecounter said:

Thanks,

You are right that you don't see them often on a layout. I wanted to put them in not only to look the part but to see if I could do it.

They are c&l chairs glued onto peco bullhead sleepers (the guard rail is c&l to).

Even straight viaducts have guard rails.

Mark  

My viaduct is going to have GWR-style bullhead guard rails outside the running rails, similar to those on Barmouth viaduct:

http://happypontist.blogspot.com/2015/10/welsh-bridges-5-barmouth-bridge.html

https://i2-prod.dailypost.co.uk/incoming/article13727139.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/pont-y-bermo4.jpg

Wish me luck!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1