69843's CAD/3D fiddlings

What a cracking thread.

I got this one pointed out to me by Jaz. Well worth the time reading. (You will notice a rash of likes and craftsmanship)

I'm now going to follow this. You never know, there might even be something that would fit my project.

Keep up the stunning work

Yep. 25 just popped up!

If there's something you'd specifically like to see, just ask. I'll see what I can do to squeeze it into the current projects list.

Thanks again

Yep. 25 just popped up!

If there's something you'd specifically like to see, just ask. I'll see what I can do to squeeze it into the current projects list.

Thanks again

Thanks. Once I've sorted out locos and rolling stock requirements I will certainly let you know.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What info are you after re Dunrobin? I've got a couple of books on Highland Railway locos which include her, so can dig info out for you (and I'd quite like one of her too!).

Pm me

Andy G

Currently not too much, I just need to make sure I get the positioning of the cab front/rear windows right. Although if there is a near head/rear on shots/plan in any of the books, I would be greatly interested to see them. Apart from that, I also need a raised rear view shot, to look at the bunker cover arrangement.

Apart from that, I'm looking forward to being able to work on Dunrobin again soon. I know that there is a kit available for her from Lochgorm kits, but this is a brass kit, and at £85 a bit steep for someone who wants to try something a bit different to get into kitbuilding, or even for something different.

Once I get out of exams, the plan is to finish the Peckett and the NER Snowplough for general sale, draw up the M&GN bridge for Little Bytham, then once that and Dunrobin are finished, see where I go from there. Blue John is still on the 'to be done' list, as are the tender body for the Hornby Tornado, and the GWR 8 wheel tender. Cadbury No.1 will also get a look in soon

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Fury will be getting a big kick start, as I have currently got the 'current' issue of Railway Modeller with the plans (October issue) checked out from the library (no need for the whole issue, but not to say I don't buy it on occasion), so I will be back into it shortly.

That won't be a problem, depending on the machine resolution/minimum thickness

Edited by 69843
  • Like 1

That is excellent, i will find out tolerances of the machine from the book of words, i should off said that i was in the states, though my brother lives in Sydney, hence the posting issue.

I can also pass over a test file I knocked up if you so wish.

Drop me a PM and I can get it to you to see what the machine can do

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for not posting here of late folks. A lot of things have severely crippled my time in the tail end of this year, not least the hunt for a job.

Seasons Greetings to you all, and I promise that 2015 will be more productive!

Zane

post-14921-0-74544200-1419423906_thumb.jpg

(And yes, the 16" Hunslet has been started. If you are all good, you might get a present tomorrow....)

• Like 10

• 2 months later...

(*tap tap*) Is this thing on? No? Excellent

Well, the last two months have not gone the way I had hoped. Teeth being pulled, not having my old laptop anymore, and various other matters chewing up time.

Suffice to say I am back, and will be getting back into the swing of things very shortly. Keep an eye out on here for a BIG update, but not necessarily in content size.....

Zane

• Like 6

(*tap tap*) Is this thing on? No? Excellent

Well, the last two months have not gone the way I had hoped. Teeth being pulled, not having my old laptop anymore, and various other matters chewing up time.

Suffice to say I am back, and will be getting back into the swing of things very shortly. Keep an eye out on here for a BIG update, but not necessarily in content size.....

Zane

Sorry to hear about your teeth, glad to hear you are getting back on track, and I am excited about you showing off your cad skills. Not going to lie, I have been thinking about fury a lot recently.
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Well, I can't say more than "I'm back".

Unfortunately the last few months have been both hectic and problematic for various reasons which I won't go into to save some time. Let's just say that I even lost my mojo for a while, but it's back and I'm back to CADding . Oh, and OO9, but more on that later :)

Right, down to business: There are a few things from earlier lists I have decided I am no longer going to do, purely as I don't wish to duplicate items that are already out there for no reason. There are a few exceptions to this rule however, just because there's a few things I'd like to draft up anyhow. There is also a few things I plan to do in HO, but I will need to investigate wheels first. It's not easy to get hold of 6ft 8in driving wheels in HO to the correct pattern.....

So, what has been worked on?

Well, the NER Snowplough has now been fitted with the rear braces and almost all of an interior (no handbrake being the only thing missing). While there is more further forward of the bulkhead in real life, this has been left with a hollow internal chamber to allow a large amount of weight to be fitted.....what, you expected it not to plow? ;) . All that remains to be done is the skylights, flue from the stove, buffers/hook and final detailing. Yet again, I cannot thank Bryan Blundell enough for giving me a mine of information and photographs of the real No.18. As I cannot travel to see it, this is an ENORMOUS help to me. Without him, the level of detail on the model would not be there.

post-14921-0-11192000-1438016551_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-68983100-1438016540_thumb.jpg

The Peckett W6. Yes, it's run on for a while, but this is due to the fact that I keep finding areas to work on and improve to allow a better end product for the user to enjoy. The frames have been thickened, and a few other detail tweaks have taken place. The chimney is now hollow down to the weight pocket in the saddle tank, eliminating the ugly holes on the front seen earlier. This saves having to worry about filling them in, thus making it a bit easier for novices in the art of kit building. A lip has also been added around the base. Some tweaks to the detail parts have also been made. The files will be combined for printing, to make things easier.

post-14921-0-67405200-1438016609_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-04235400-1438016613_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-84923900-1438016579_thumb.jpg

The Hunslet 16" has stalled for a bit, as there are a few areas of detail I wish to look at before preceding. Luckily this does not require details from the UK, as we have one right here in NSW, at the Rail Transport Museum (as seen on the Christmas 'card'). The only standard gauge Hunslet 0-6-0ST in the whole of Australia I believe. However, some details have been done, such as crinoline bands on the boiler. Also, the time has been taken to sort out motor mounting and gearbox fit

post-14921-0-23074500-1438016640_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-55240600-1438016644_thumb.jpg

And as to Fury? The poor thing hasn't had much work done as it was left on the old laptop when I swapped over! Luckily the laptop was not sold or destroyed, but is on an extended vacation in the US with a family member. A few emails later, and the file is now with me again. This means I can finally start working on it again, and I have in fact done so, fixing up a few issues along the way. The cab is 'loose fit' at the moment, to allow it to be worked on separately. It will be fitted once the work is done on it.

post-14921-0-92463100-1438016672_thumb.jpg

That about covers it for the moment. There are a few other things I have been working on, including an 'illuminating' item that will appear very shortly on a prominent RMweb layout. I'm hoping those have gone off without a hitch. I know that they have printed, as I received an email this evening letting me know that they had. Which is a relief!

The only other noteworthy item of news is that some of the items now will be done through iMaterialise, due to changes in Shapeways materials. This isn't all items, but will be the bigger ones such as the Peckett, Hunslet etc. Smaller detail items will likely stay with Shapeways.

So again my apologies for my absence and the slowness of progress, but sometimes going that bit slower can make something a whole lot better...Oh, and thank you for anyone that actually makes it this far! I hate having to type long posts, but it has certainly become necessary here. And now? Goodnight!

Edit: And the big news I hinted at then promptly forgot to mention? How does a O gauge Peckett W6 sound?

Edited by 69843
  • Like 8

• 1 month later...

Things that never work out as planned is always how this seems to go.....

Not long after I put up the last post, I started to talk to the chairman of a railway group here in NSW. Not long afterwards, I started out with helping to restore the two car railmotor up there. Long story short, this is why I have not done much lately (well, that and fluctuating mojo)
post-14921-0-46241400-1441723553_thumb.jpg

But anyhow, back to the modelling studio.

The little bits and pieces are what matter. One of the things done lately was to fit the skylights and chimney flue to the snowplough, as below. This just leaves the buffers and the handbrake/base as the last major items. Then it is a matter of checking the fit of the parts, and then getting a prototype to the UK.  Snow in my part of NSW is a bit lacking. Although not to say it never snows here at all, just not near me.

post-14921-0-18096000-1441727914_thumb.png

post-14921-0-09412300-1441727923_thumb.png

Another job that has been done is this:

post-14921-0-71357600-1441728355_thumb.png
While that does not look out of the ordinary, that is actually the freshly re-scaled 7mm version. Several tweaks will have to be done to accommodate changes for 1:43.5 scale, but they should hopefully breeze by.

I have also been working towards completion of the replacement A1/3/4 chassis block, having made some tweaks to get it closer to the setup of the original. Hopefully this can be swapped out for the standard "red box" frame, with the valvegear, cylinders etc. just requiring transfer.
post-14921-0-57378400-1441729751_thumb.png

And now to something for the gentlemen enthusiast: Smiths speedo cufflinks. While still very early on in the process, I hope to have these done sooner rather than later, just as a different item. I will likely not include the black mounting bracket in the finished design, but it will have everything right down to the needle. Though I'm divided whether to have it read 0, x speed, 100 or off the dial.

post-14921-0-77394500-1441730030_thumb.png

That's it for this time. I do hope to have another update soon, but don't expect it before the 19th-we're on a tight deadline for the railmotor to run its first trip

• Like 6

It's a real gem, and will be the first time it has run for the first time in over 14 years. As to a model, here's one I prepared earlier (although 3.5mm/ft, and a later powercar than our set): http://eurekamodels.com.au/620.html

As to the cost of a 7mm Peckett, the main body, underboiler and frame as presented above is indicating 110 pounds from iMaterialise in Prime Gray, and about 70 pounds in White Strong and Flexible. hopefully I can get the price down a bit

• RMweb Gold

She is al I can say is good luck with getting her running again. My I ask would you be able to post some more pictures when she's up and running.

Peckett that's pretty good and hopefully you'll should get plenty of sales when she's ready.

• 4 weeks later...

The latest estimate is 37.66 Euros (i.Materialise Prime Gray)

There will very hopefully be some news of a prototype model nature come this week.....

Edited by 69843
  • Like 1