69843's CAD/3D fiddlings

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay again all. Besides forgetting to hit 'post' on the last post and thus losing it, life has just kept me busier and busier, meaning scant time to be spent on models or CAD modelling.

The second EP of the Peckett has been primed, but is currently in storage with a few other things due to many things happening in the domestic life. However, the failure points on the EP have been addressed, and will hopefully have been fixed on EP3. Yes, this model has taken an age to do, but I would rather be slow with it and get it right than have it rushed and not up to a decent specification for people to use as a base. The file now sits as follows, awaiting print.

Overall view, showing the extra rivet detail added in to the model, such as on the headstocks and the lower cab sides.
post-14921-0-77398400-1484448063_thumb.jpg

One of the biggest failure points on the prototype turned out to be the headstocks, which were just too thin to withstand any sort of regular handling. So they have now been thickened, and an extra piece of bracing fitted to the join (the main failure point)

post-14921-0-46062300-1484448368_thumb.jpg

And an overall view of all the pieces for the third file. There's a bit of experimentation to be done to see if not only a set of slidebars and crossheads/rods can be printed, but the bracket on the frame as well, hence 2 frames, 2 sets of cylinders and 2 sets of crossheads.

post-14921-0-01732600-1484448623_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good so far :) When you start offering it for purchase, will you be adding a EM/P4 option for the frames?

I certainly will be Kelly. Though I don't model fine scale (I'm now getting more into Australian HO, but keeping the British OO wide open), I do have a good friend out here who models early GWR in P4, so will be getting some assistance from him for the fine scale option.

One for our resident horse man, and anyone else wishing to create a ROD out of the Bachmann O4s. Continental buffers, just lacking the ribbing and the buffer head itself. The backing plate will be correctly shaped soon.

post-14921-0-20395900-1484567694_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-60687000-1484567698_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-69657200-1484567700_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

Ok, I'll admit to having not dropped by much again in recent times, but time really is being pushed at the moment to complete items unfortunately. The current way things stand is that there's a few projects to clean up/finish and get out of the way, so the plan is to now try and work through them one at a time. The new Shapeways pricing structure for FUD/FXD has been advantageous in many ways, including taking several pounds off of some of the larger items.

Currently the list of remaining projects sits as:
NER Snowplough: Done, just awaiting a chance to print (not been a high priority item to have printed, but not forgotten about in the slightest).

Peckett W6: About 95% done-I'm still having issues with a few points on the test prints (a second test print was recently undertaken), as I would rather iron out any little bugs before getting this one out. It's been a long time, yes, but it's been a heck of a learning curve in how to build something that you've never even seen one of in person.

ROD Buffers: Mostly done, and have had a successful test print as per attached photos. There is 3 variations to the rear of the bufferhead that have been found, so the plan is to cater to all of these (not a major problem).

Hunslet 16" (HO): At about 65% complete, just awaiting confirmation to a few pieces of the puzzle before being completed (amazing how simple the design of these locomotives actually are).

Dunrobin: On the backburner, but not forgotten about in the slightest. This one's a bit of a hard one in some ways as there's some areas that don't show up well in photographs that would be good to get photos of-though the locomotive is currently under overhaul, so those bits are in many bits themselves. But still on the way

GWR 8-wheel tender frame: Awaiting a check over of a few points of compatibility, but almost ready for production.

And then there's this: A project I've worked away in the background on of a F.C. Hibberd Planet, I believe the SCW class. We have 3 here in NSW and given the fact that there's a large number of them still left in the UK let alone that saw service, I thought it could be a fun thing to do. A huge thanks has to be extended to Beatty 139 of this parish, who sent me a beautiful and comprehensive set of plans to work from. Without those drawings this project never would have happened. The mechanism is to be a Hollywood Foundary BullAnt, and at the time of writing the first test print, shown on the workbench of a friend, is just awaiting the arrival of such a mechanism. This is currently in HO but will be also done in OO for all those that want a nice little diesel shunter for their layout.

post-14921-0-94633100-1503325827_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-32748900-1503325833_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-90498400-1503325843_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-55871700-1503325847_thumb.jpg

And as promised, a photo of the model ROD with the 'Continental' buffers fitted. This model is on the way to becoming a J&A Brown example as used in Australia, of which 3 survive-the last ROD err, ROD (2004), has just been finished off being statically restored at the Richmond Vale Railway Museum to ROD condition right in their old stomping grounds (as seen here and here). I hope to make these buffers available by the end of September, with the Planet ready in OO by December.
post-14921-0-16228700-1503325881.jpg

post-14921-0-83748100-1503325882.jpg

post-14921-0-30597100-1503325886.jpg

post-14921-0-08659600-1503325885_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...