69843's CAD/3D fiddlings

...A planned range of LNER tenders is to be started soon to fit Hornby frames...

Sorry for the long jump back, but I was just reading through your thread, and remembered Hornby don't do an unmodified version of the A1/A3 corridor tender. I imagine many would find it far easier to drop a 3D printed one onto a set of Hornby frames, as opposed to hacking away at Hornby's streamlined version, so I imagine there'd be plenty of people after one. Anyway, just my ideas, but I think your CAD skills would really do it justice.

Ade.

• 5 weeks later...

Right, sorry for the long bout of silence, but life got in the way (as usual!)

For those wanting the Peckett, it is nearly done, just requiring a few final items before a test print.

Dunrobin has been worked on, and is slowly getting near enough to start details. The cab front/rear windows remain the biggest thing yet to still do.

post-14921-0-60123800-1405990758_thumb.jpg

The 1909 NER wooden framed snowplough is about 80% done. I have to give thanks to Bryan Blundell, the owner of NER 18, for his invaluable help with this project, as I could not have gotten it to this stage without him. The wagon has been designed to cut through snow like a real one*. There is also a weight pocket in the front to assist with this duty.

post-14921-0-80796700-1405992226_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-35574800-1405992232_thumb.jpg

And what railway would be complete without a TARDIS! This should be ready by the end of the month.

post-14921-0-62094300-1405992252_thumb.jpg

*Due to a distinct lack of snow in the Sydney area of NSW, I can't test this claim. If anyone has an outdoor layout that gets covered in snow in the UK, can they please let me know, as I'd be happy to let the prototype be tested come winter over there.

• Like 3

I was thinking of doing a test in winter, if I get any snow

Snow in Cornwall, that would be nice but it just rains constantly. Cornwalls summers consist of 10 minutes slightly brighter dark grey cloud ;) and winter is worse but still no snow, at least down my way anyway.

However of we do get snow this year I'll happily eat my words.

Edited by WD0-6-0

Are you going to make your peckett available to buy at all? I fancy building this beauty

It will be available to buy by the end of the year (I'm in the middle of a few tests now and in Oct/Nov), along with other models.

Although I think that is a W7, not a W6

Edit: It's actually an R4

Edited by 69843

The latter is a very big help, and the former is an excellent source of info on loco works numbers where needed.

If I find plans, I might even take a go at the OQ class, better known by the preserved examples name of Mardy Monster

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been a fair bit of time since my last posting on here. I've been extremely busy, so the CAD work took a bit of a back seat to it all.

But, work has certainly been done. The Peckett now has only a few things left to be done to it before it's ready to be test printed, and that is just some minor detail work (the springs and firebox mountings) and then it is pretty much finished. For the time being, Alan Gibson coupling and connecting rods will have to be used until I can draw up some artwork to be etched, and there is now a space in the front and rear buffer beams to allow working hook and chain couplings to be used, and the sprung buffers will just need springs from Dart Castings to work.

post-14921-0-62066800-1410143216_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-12134100-1410143889_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-94015000-1410143894_thumb.jpg

As can be seen in the following, the frames are now a separate unit, allowing for easier access to wire up and use. EM and P4 variants will be done shortly for those that would like one for those gauges.

post-14921-0-54646300-1410143210_thumb.jpg

The 1909 NER Snowplough has had more progress completed, with the only major thing above the frame to be worked on being the panelling on the blade sides. While not 100% complete, the panel gaps just require fitting.

post-14921-0-62075800-1410143961_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-21557000-1410143978_thumb.jpg

Under the frame, however, the chassis has been worked on. This is not an accurate rendition of the w-irons and associated components, but it should allow use of the snowplough on radius 2 curves while still being able to clear snow. The swing of the linkage is limited to 1.8 degrees either side, restricting movement to radius 2 curves and above. There is also a NEM pocket attached to the rear swinging link

post-14921-0-18667000-1410144091_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-88869100-1410144281_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-68271200-1410144277_thumb.jpg

Dunrobin has not been worked on, as I am looking for some further information on her before I continue. Apart from that, all is well in that respect.

Onto future projects, and one I have been asked a bit about is the Continental pattern buffers for the RODs. These have currently not been started, due to being unable to visit the Richmond Vale Railway for the time being. Hopefully they can be started by November, but I have to also complete my Finals, so time will be restricted up until mid-November.

One locomotive I have been asked to do is the famous Midland Railway banker No.2290, better known to all as Big Bertha. I would like to ask if there is interest in this, as I do know that there is the DJH kit available, but wonder if people might want a more beginner style approach in having a mostly assembled body just requiring finishing off and assembly. If there is interest, I will look into it, and try and keep it under the £129 of the DJH kit.

The other future project I will be doing shortly is another little tank, the Cadburys Avonside tanks. These are quite a nice little 0-4-0T in my opinion, and having an interesting link with something that a fair few of us have and enjoy, I feel it's something that could make a very nice model.

Edited by 69843
  • Like 9

....one I have been asked a bit about is the Continental pattern buffers for the RODs. These have currently not been started, due to being unable to visit the Richmond Vale Railway ....

I don't suppose the 2-8-0s will be going anywhere in the next 20+ years, so take your time!

One locomotive I have been asked to do is the famous Midland Railway banker No.2290, better known to all as Big Bertha. I would like to ask if there is interest in this, as I do know that there is the DJH kit available, but wonder if people might want a more beginner style approach in having a mostly assembled body just requiring finishing off and assembly. If there is interest, I will look into it, and try and keep it under the £129 of the DJH kit.

If I were in the market for 2290/58100, I'd ask for a basic body moulding, e.g. smokebox/boiler/firebox, then a cab to plug in, then the various details kept separate for me to apply. The chassis would probably be better off as an etch design.

• RMweb Gold

Hi I was thinking of the 1116a class this information is from memory and wici as book is safely still pack away. As I recall the 1322 were all gone before br but the 1116a made it into the br books though may have had a longer wheel base apart from that I think they were similar else where. There is also a 3rd class 1134 but that is just muddying the waters and have no information on that.

Edited by farren

Right, sorry for the long bout of silence, but life got in the way (as usual!)

For those wanting the Peckett, it is nearly done, just requiring a few final items before a test print.

Dunrobin has been worked on, and is slowly getting near enough to start details. The cab front/rear windows remain the biggest thing yet to still do.

attachicon.gifDunrobin model.jpg

The 1909 NER wooden framed snowplough is about 80% done. I have to give thanks to Bryan Blundell, the owner of NER 18, for his invaluable help with this project, as I could not have gotten it to this stage without him. The wagon has been designed to cut through snow like a real one*. There is also a weight pocket in the front to assist with this duty.

attachicon.gifNER Snowplough 18-20 5.jpg

attachicon.gifNER Snowplough 18-20 6.jpg

And what railway would be complete without a TARDIS! This should be ready by the end of the month.

attachicon.gifTARDIS-OO Scale.jpg

*Due to a distinct lack of snow in the Sydney area of NSW, I can't test this claim. If anyone has an outdoor layout that gets covered in snow in the UK, can they please let me know, as I'd be happy to let the prototype be tested come winter over there.

Love the Tardis....have you got one built? 

With the snow play can you make it into more components so it is flatter? It might be easier to then produce. Although if it goes into a 3D printer in one or two pieces a lot less work. I just ask because a lot of people like kits. They feel they have done the work. Kal noticed there is a way to sell your ideas. I'll ask him to remind me and advise you.

Edited by Jaz

Surprisingly, yes! Although it was on the school machine (an extruder), so nowhere near the finish that FD would give, with the bars in the window and whatnot. Funding is needed for a fair few items, and splurging on an item of Dave's from Tetleys Mills didn't help the situation!

Here it is next to a set of AAA batteries, for size comparison:

post-14921-0-18306500-1411043120_thumb.jpg

With the snow play can you make it into more components so it is flatter? It might be easier to then produce. Although if it goes into a 3D printer in one or two pieces a lot less work. I just ask because a lot of people like kits.

While I would love to do the snowplough as a kit, it's just too complex to do in that manner. It is something I looked at though, and it works better as a two piece model (body and roof, underframe separate). The Peckett will be done as a kit, allowing several variations to be made through a 'mix and match' approach. Other things in the works are also planned to be done as kits and as whole structures where possible.

Kal noticed there is a way to sell your ideas. I'll ask him to remind me and advise you.

Thanks. I'm very interested in hearing this idea.
Edited by 69843
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Having been busy studying for my finals, I haven't had time to do too much, but I have done up the valvegear etch for the Peckett in AutoCAD. These are to be done in .25mm nickel silver, and will double up on each other to allow them to be made to the correct .5mm thickness. Interestingly, the detail side (the red and black ones in the below image) also show how the rods should look once painted up. For those interested, the coupling rods are 22mm centre to centre, and the connecting rods 21mm centre to centre with 1.2mm diameter holes for the Alan Gibson crankpins. The throw on the wheels is 3.66mm, meaning that there should be 7.32mm of movement on the slidebar of the crosshead every rotation.

Excuse the dodgy render quality-it was converted from .bmp to .jpg

post-14921-0-20060300-1413449859_thumb.jpg

Now, last week this thread passed a year old. I must thank everyone who has dropped in to view my CAD fiddlings, and put up with my all over the shop progress. I can assure you that after November 3rd, everything will pick up in pace.

Edited by 69843
  • Like 6

The latter is a very big help, and the former is an excellent source of info on loco works numbers where needed.

If I find plans, I might even take a go at the OQ class, better known by the preserved examples name of Mardy Monster

I always thought the Mary Monster was my Welsh Aunt....useful to know.... :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Surprisingly, yes! Although it was on the school machine (an extruder), so nowhere near the finish that FD would give, with the bars in the window and whatnot. Funding is needed for a fair few items, and splurging on an item of Dave's from Tetleys Mills didn't help the situation!

Here it is next to a set of AAA batteries, for size comparison:

attachicon.gifDSCF1159 copy.jpg

While I would love to do the snowplough as a kit, it's just too complex to do in that manner. It is something I looked at though, and it works better as a two piece model (body and roof, underframe separate). The Peckett will be done as a kit, allowing several variations to be made through a 'mix and match' approach. Other things in the works are also planned to be done as kits and as whole structures where possible.

Thanks. I'm very interested in hearing this idea.

Oooh I forgot about this....will try to ask him later.....

Having been busy studying for my finals, I haven't had time to do too much, but I have done up the valvegear etch for the Peckett in AutoCAD. These are to be done in .25mm nickel silver, and will double up on each other to allow them to be made to the correct .5mm thickness. Interestingly, the detail side (the red and black ones in the below image) also show how the rods should look once painted up. For those interested, the coupling rods are 22mm centre to centre, and the connecting rods 21mm centre to centre with 1.2mm diameter holes for the Alan Gibson crankpins. The throw on the wheels is 3.66mm, meaning that there should be 7.32mm of movement on the slidebar of the crosshead every rotation.

Excuse the dodgy render quality-it was converted from .bmp to .jpg

attachicon.gifPeckett W6 valvegear etch drawing 2.jpg

Now, last week this thread passed a year old. I must thank everyone who has dropped in to view my CAD fiddlings, and put up with my all over the shop progress. I can assure you that after November 3rd, everything will pick up in pace.

belated H A P P Y   B I R T H D A Y for the thread.

I really enjoy coming and looking here, and it is lovely to see a youngster not only enjoying the hobby, but doing stuff so technical. And at such a level. I am enjoying the latest build too, even though the loco in question is not specifically my type, but because the concept that you display is so worthy. In years to come you'll be a complete rivet counter....oh LOL you already are. :sungum:

What a cracking thread.

I got this one pointed out to me by Jaz. Well worth the time reading. (You will notice a rash of likes and craftsmanship)

I'm now going to follow this. You never know, there might even be something that would fit my project.

Keep up the stunning work