Brick Bridge

John lewsey

You'll need to send the WD wheels away for turning (assuming you're in the 2mm Scale Assoc. the contact details for the wheel-turning service are in the Yearbook). Not sure how the newest (motor mounted in loco) design of chassis comes apart though (I'm waiting for the Ivatt 2MT and J39).

The 37s are an easier prospect - drop-in wheels are available for these.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

You'll need to send the WD wheels away for turning (assuming you're in the 2mm Scale Assoc. the contact details for the wheel-turning service are in the Yearbook). Not sure how the newest (motor mounted in loco) design of chassis comes apart though (I'm waiting for the Ivatt 2MT and J39).

Andy

I am half way through finescaling a WD Austerity. I've got Assoc wheels in the chassis, sort of quartered. Next step is reattaching the connecting rod and return crank. I am waiting for etched parts for the tender chassis, and for various bits for the Ivatt 2-6-0, which has a chassis designed similar to the WD for finescaling purposes. I am hopeful that the approach I am testing on the WD will work, and on the Ivatt too.

Nig H

• RMweb Premium

Andy

After asking for info re the 2MT on the Farish forum I checked out Bachmann's site and discovered the service diagrams in PDF for the WD. It would appear from these that the new steam chassis roughly mirrors that of the more recent diesel chassis except with regard to the split-axle wheel pick-up via axle bushes, but it's not clear how these parts (wheels/axles) actually fit together. I presume the 2MT and J39 loco chassis will be similar, although the latter is still tender drive.

I am half way through finescaling a WD Austerity. I've got Assoc wheels in the chassis, sort of quartered. Next step is reattaching the connecting rod and return crank. I am waiting for etched parts for the tender chassis, and for various bits for the Ivatt 2-6-0, which has a chassis designed similar to the WD for finescaling purposes. I am hopeful that the approach I am testing on the WD will work, and on the Ivatt too.

Nig H

Are you using the original Farish WD loco chassis as the basis or a replacement etched one?

Izzy

• Like 1

Nice

Hi Brian the intention is the LMR of BR in the sixties it might stretch each way a bit but that's the theme I'm hoping that the viaduct is the selling point of the layout I'm not sure at the moment whether to find someone to laser cut it once I've drawn it out or whether to go the Pendon route with scribed card I'm doing this in 2mm as I want the railway to be part of the landscape and to be honest I've been looking at 2mm for some time

Regards john

Great stuff ,I like the thought of long coal trains crawling along a viaduct

And your a braver man than me to be scribing in 2 mm lol

I'll definitely be watching with interest , can't wait to see this progress.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

I suppose I had better join the 2mm association . 

John

You better had John! A good friend of mine and well known 7mm modeller also sent his cheque and membership form in today so you're not alone in having a dabble on the dark side. I shan't mention any names, I'll let him 'come out' in his own good time :whistle: 

Jerry 

Lets see some pictures John. Post some pictures and a little description of what you have done and you get lots more interest.

Im very interested in seeing what you are upto and Im sure Im not alone.

Missy.

Just out of interest is there a kit for a LNWR coal tank in 2mm

Try  n brass although n gauge Nick  did, does one, not etched but milled brass I purchased one at this years expo he also has the castings.

Dave

forgot its a body only kit and comes with a turned brass boiler

Edited by djgriff

Same here.

Try to add a little more to your posts John. Take a look at other blogs / threads and you will gt an idea on what works and what doesnt. Its a little hard to comment on an entry with just one picture and / or one sentence of text. Its absolutely fantastic to see you are giving it a go.

Im sorry

Julia.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Julia no need to say sorry I'm new here and didn't want to say too much but if your all interested I've phoned Bachman today and ordered two jubilee bodies and will be ordering two chassis kits and another tender from Nigel hunt I thought I'd do the tender first as it always seems harder to start after building the loco I've drawn a track plan of the layout and will post that when I've done all of the colouring in (I'd put a smiley in but I can't see how to do it )

John

Probably a silly question John, but as I don't know your plans, do you actually need to buy the tender kit?  The chassis kits come with a tender chassis for the Farish 4000 gallon tender body.  My Jubilee (and the two more in the very slow process of being built) have the smaller 3500 gallon tender (fitted to fifty or so Jubilees) which you are now building because I wanted to model particular Jubilees that worked on the Manchester-St Pancras route.  If you don't have particular Jubilees in mind (e.g. 45593 Kolhapur in it's final state before preservation for example), then ordering tender bodies from Bachmann saves you the hassle of building, painting and lining a tender body.

If you are wanting to model particular locos with the smaller tender, and I'm teaching grandma to suck eggs, then please ignore me!

The tender looks to be coming on very nicely.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hi John,

It's coming along nicely.  If you are using the "see-saw" drawbar to transfer weight to the loco then now may be the time to check that the holes for the screws on the end spacers are opened out enough to allow everything to move freely without shorting (how do I know that one...).  Also depending on which wheels you have used, be prepared to remove a bit of material from the front coalspace bulkhead to clear the flanges of the front wheels. 

Simon

• RMweb Premium

After asking for info re the 2MT on the Farish forum I checked out Bachmann's site and discovered the service diagrams in PDF for the WD. It would appear from these that the new steam chassis roughly mirrors that of the more recent diesel chassis except with regard to the split-axle wheel pick-up via axle bushes, but it's not clear how these parts (wheels/axles) actually fit together. I presume the 2MT and J39 loco chassis will be similar, although the latter is still tender drive.

Are you using the original Farish WD loco chassis as the basis or a replacement etched one?

Izzy

Hello Izzy,

Sorry for the delay in replying. The intention is to use the Farish chassis with replacement finescale wheels. I've had the converted chassis running using the original valve gear etc, but I want to try replacing those bits so that assoc crankpins can be used in the drivers

Nig H

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...