North London Railway

I came accross these photos on the HMRS site. We are about to reissue our 7mm E&WYUR 5plk wagon, GOG Doncaster.

Marc

The wagon to the right in the first photo is a CR Dia24 8T open with the number 6988 clearly visible.  There is no known list of CR wagon numbers, though some are listed in Mike Williams book on CR wagons, so photographs are the most reliable source.

Jim

• Like 1

My narrow cab NLR 4-4-0 T has just arrived!  Excellent service from Shapeways.  The only thing l can see that's omitted is the valve plate, but that's easily corrected with some thin brass, and that may well serve to stiffen the structure somewhat.

The brass rods and fittings look good too, an all-round excellent kit, which as we have seen 'captures' the 1-10 series perfectly.

Now to source the plates for No. 28, or 47, 48, or 56............  Oh, bu&&rit! I'm going to have to buy more aren't l?   Perhaps the wide cab next time......... :banghead:

• Like 2

My narrow cab NLR 4-4-0 T has just arrived!  Excellent service from Shapeways.  The only thing l can see that's omitted is the valve plate, but that's easily corrected with some thin brass, and that may well serve to stiffen the structure somewhat.

The brass rods and fittings look good too, an all-round excellent kit, which as we have seen 'captures' the 1-10 series perfectly.

Now to source the plates for No. 28, or 47, 48, or 56............  Oh, bu&&rit! I'm going to have to buy more aren't l?   Perhaps the wide cab next time......... :banghead:

I hope you let us know how this goes.

• Like 1

I hope you let us know how this goes.

Yes, wildo!  One of my all-time favourite locos, and l think Jim Connor deserves to be congratulated on what is a really well thought out kit.  Of course l now find myself having to justify further purchases, but at least they're for a good cause.................  Me!!

• Like 2

Does anyone know which way was "Up" on the North London? If I had to guess I'd think it was towards Poplar, but it would be nice to know for sure.

I think it would be towards Broad Street, that was the main North London Rly Terminal.

In the excellent book 'North London Railway A pictorial Record' published by the NRM, plate 10 and 11 mention the 'DOWN' distant signal at Bow Junction for Devon's Road, which was on the way to Poplar.

However.. the text to plate 46, in respect of the accident on 12 March 1900, when a Poplar to Broad Street passenger train (Up?) collided with an empty coal train, mentions that the accident happened because the signalman at Devon's Road had allowed the empties train to shunt into the section towards Bow Junction on the Down Line. 

Edit: Presumably the passenger train was on the Up line?

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

While a London terminus is the logical place for "Up" to be, I don't think it works for a T shaped system. Two trains can't leave Broad Street, one headed to Poplar, the other to Richmond, and have them both be "Down", once they pass Dalston they're going in opposite directions.

The system that makes the most sense to me would be the carry on the LNWR's convention, so that a south bound train heads "Up" from Watford to Willesden, and then continues "up" around the North London to Poplar. I may be wrong, but that's what I've reasoned out. It would be nice to actually know though.

If the distant signal at Bow Junct., for trains in the direction of Poplar is called the 'Down', then....

Broad Street was the main station for the North London Rly.  As the trains left Broad Street towards Skinner Street Signal Box they passed signals with numbers on them, they are called the Down line signals - that is the trains on leaving Broad Street are going in the Down direction.

Some of the LNWR trains accessing the North London Rly to Broad Street network were on the 'Outer Circle', though I agree that's not a circle.

Unfortunatly my copy of the July - Dec 1898 (Vol 3) of the Railway Magazine has not been returned to me by a borrower, so I can't check the North London Rly 'Illustrated Interview', but if somebody else has access that may well clear the matter up.

Presumably there's also an Oakwood Press book. 

BTW, the trains were also described as going 'East' or 'West' in a (1893) partial leaflet I had, now at NRM.

Edited by Penlan

Up and down were never a problem before the opening of the Broad Street line: Up trains headed for Fenchurch Street via Bow and the Campbell Road curve, Down trains headed for for Chalk Farm.

After the opening of the 'afterthought', both Broad Street and Poplar were designated as London end terminii, and were therefore served by Up trains. This obviously led to a problem designating the service which shuttled between the two, and the track/signalling associated with that service. As it was only the Eastern Curve at Dalston which made the movement between the two 'London' terminii possible, this became the nominal change over point, where Down trains from Broad Street became Up trains to Poplar, and vice versa.

I believe it was officially at Eastern Junction itself where the down E curve became the Up Poplar, and the Down Poplar became the Up E curve, but I stand to be corrected.

This sounds really confusing when written, but have a look at a track diagram of the area, and it should all become clear. What I have never looked into is what the Up and Down designation was on the GER route to Victoria Park Junction, as trains over this route could head either for Liverpool Street or Stratford/North Woolwich!

Edited to add...

Have a look at these links. One takes you to the history of the Eastern curve web page, which is looked after by the group who run the park which is now on the site, the other should take you to a zoomed in OS map on the National Library of Scotland website...

http://dalstongarden.org/about-2/history-of-the-eastern-curve/

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=51.5473&lon=-0.0736&layers=176&b=1

Edited by L49
  • Like 1

Just to put the cat among the pigeons... I was just looking into this a bit further (as opposed to writing tomorrow's sermons which I what I should be doing!), and had a look at the 1893-95 OS maps on the same site

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=51.5469&lon=-0.0419&layers=163&b=1

Which show what they considered to be Up and Down platforms at many (but irritatingly not all) stations along the line. According to them, at Homerton, the Up platform is served by trains towards Victoria Park and Poplar (which fits in with my understanding of the arrangement at Dalston E Junction), but at Old Ford, the Poplar direction is shown as the Down platform, and indeed the arrival side at Poplar is shown as the Down platform.

Does this mean that Victoria Park was the centre of the NLR universe??? Or is it more likely that the OS surveyors got as confused as the rest of us with the awkward anomaly of a railway which developed two London terminii, and then had the audacity to run a frequent service between the two?

I feel an article in the NLRHS journal coming on...

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Thank you all for your thoughts, and a special thank you to Ian for the drawing. I will have a go at P4/EM ing the kit after Easter, and keep you all posted as it goes. This week might be a bit busy!

I had completely forgotten about this thread and discussion about a P4 chassis for the 4-4-0T.  I went ahead earlier this year and ordered the narrow cab version in the better material.  Unstarted yet but now giving it some thought.  Obviously I have the OO chassis but am thinking of cutting off the brake blocks and fitting rocking overlays.....

Just found this photo on Ebay. First time I have seen more than one E&WYUR wagons together. It was taken at Askern Colliery

Looks like I shall have to blacken the ironwork, and put the number at the other end (RH side).

Great photo though of Askern, thanks.

BTW - Isn't that another couple of E.& W.Y.U.Rly wagons with their side doors down in the background, in front of the pithead...

Edit - Picture removed - Ooops sorry, already posted picture at #76 above

Edited by Penlan

Looks like I shall have to blacken the ironwork, and put the number at the other end (RH side).

Great photo though of Askern, thanks.

Blacken ironwork is a sign that the wagon is relatively new. Wagons were supplied with that way so that the ironwork could be made in advance and fitted to wagons as they were built. The wagon on the lefthand side of that group seems to have its ironwork painted in body colour.

• 4 months later...

I had completely forgotten about this thread and discussion about a P4 chassis for the 4-4-0T.  I went ahead earlier this year and ordered the narrow cab version in the better material.  Unstarted yet but now giving it some thought.  Obviously I have the OO chassis but am thinking of cutting off the brake blocks and fitting rocking overlays.....

Just thought I'd bring your attention to my NLR 3D P4 build thread in my signature below.  In my latest addition I have asked if anyone knows of a source for NLR etched number plates?