New to County Donegal

Granddad gnome

Hi all

​ I,v been in garden railways ( G Scale) for over 10 years now but never really had a particular theme but have of late got hooked on the County Donegal Railway. Dont you just love the railcars. I would very much like to make a few Model buildings in the architecture of the area. Can anyone please put me in the right direction for books, photos drawing or plans that can help with things like dimensions  and general layout ect.

Many thanks 

'The Last Years of the Wee Donegal' by Robert Robotham and 'The Wee Donegal Revisited' by Robert Robotham and Joe Curran, both published by Colourpoint. Both these books have colour pictures throughout and also have several station layout plans and the second one also contains a few rolling stock drawings. 

Irish Narrow Gauge Vol 2 by Tom Ferris has a chapter about the Donegal Railway ISBN 0-85640-518-3

By the way there was never a company called the County Donegal Railway!

There was a West Donegal Railway and a Donegal Railway but never a County Donegal Railway.

• RMweb Gold

By the way there was never a company called the County Donegal Railway!

There was a West Donegal Railway and a Donegal Railway but never a County Donegal Railway.

While I'm sure you must be right, because otherwise you wouldn't have made the point, the fact is that Google finds an awful lot of very authentic looking sites that use that name in their title or subject description.

From 1906 the system was run by the County Donegal Railways Joint Committee which name also appeared on their advertising. David and Charles published a book by Edward M. Patterson titled 'The County Donegal Railways' (ISBN 0 330 02941 X) which first appeared in 1962 but may have been reprinted more recently.

The 7mm Narrow Gauge association published a fair few CDR railcar and loco drawings a few years ago, many of which were enlarged from their 4mm scale plans printed in the Railway Modeller in the 80's, and also published in 4mm scale by Peco.

Roger Crombleholme also published plenty of drawings in his book as well.

It's certainly a rewarding subject, I enjoyed building several of the railcars used on 'Inver' a few years ago now....

Regards

Richard.

Archived