A bit of fun with DAS CLAY GWR style

Hi Folks,

something a bit different, A goods shed faithfully replicated of Much Wenlock Goods shed now demolished, in 4mm scale.

from start to finish.

muchwenlockgoodsshed001_zps80be62d7.jpg

muchwenlockgoodsshed002_zps725a4458.jpg

muchwenlockgoodsshed003_zps61c7174c.jpg

muchwenlockgoodsshed007_zps0e0a3259.jpg

muchwenlockgoodsshed006_zpsa7ebc2bd.jpg

r/shawbridge_photos/media/muchwenlockgoodsshed005_zps2d6ffc81.jpg.html]muchwenlockgoodsshed005_zps2d6ffc81.jpg[/url]

muchwenlockgoodsshed007_zps0e0a3259.jpg

muchwenlockgoodsshed008_zps3de738e3.jpg

muchwenlockgoodsshed009_zpse3cf4c04.jpg

muchwenlockgoodsshed010_zps3b307977.jpg

muchwenlockgoodsshed011_zpsab879d87.jpg

muchwenlockgoodsshed013_zps03f764ee.jpg

wenlockgoods2001_zps0f91314d.jpg

wenlockgoodsshed2001_zps21dffdd1.jpg

more to follow

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic.  I can see some useful hints there for when I get around to trying to build mine.

Is it a trick of the light, or are you using brass section under the platform and along the top of the walls on the inside ?

Adrian

Thanks for the comments folks

Hi Adrian

, thanks re comments, yes its KS brass section were I felt it was needed, you will also notice that I wasn't overly particular during the construction with regard to the plasticard as it was to be covered with DAS, so didn't need to be too precise with it. 

Hi fender, that is a name familiar to me :-)

I would just like to mention that in the past I used PVA on the plastic then laid the DAS over the top but now I use MEK it appears to grab better for me.

cheers

Peter

Edited by Gravy Train

• 1 month later...

Hi Peter, quick question if I may (and I hope you'll answer)

I've just read through this amazing thread again as I've been looking for reference on Goods Shed interiors (I'm making my first ever interior!) and I not that in the early stages of this build, your roadside loading door was on the inside, but in later stages of the build it had gone and was now on the outside. Was this a change of mind?

Hi freebs,

yes, the door was altered as we found more info during construction, so we were able to alter it before the build was too advanced to do anything about it.

If you are building a goods shed and you are not particular on prototype there are many books out there that are of help like Paul karau's GWR Architecture and LMS Architecture Reeves., and so on.

Peter

Alan,

the holes are for letting the fumes escape as the fumes cause so much damage re warping of plastic but if the golden rules are followed there is nothing then to worry about, my wall sections are a shell, cladded as opposed to laminations.

cheers

Peter

Alan,the holes are for letting the fumes escape as the fumes cause so much damage re warping of plastic but if the golden rules are followed there is nothing then to worry about, my wall sections are a shell, cladded as opposed to laminations.cheersPeter

One method I have used is to lay the DAS with a small amount of dilute PVA on the card and when all is dry flood the surface of the DAS with the solvent, this will soak through and weld the components without producing the trapped fumes.

Wally

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm sorry to have missed this thread when it first started.

Fantastic work.

However, I'm happy to contradict you on one thing:  The goods shed at MW is still extant, having been converted into flats.

The only thing demolished was the goods office at the southern end of the shed

The shed is now part of a small housing development on the north end of the goods yard.

The southern end is a builders yard and a pay and display car park.

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,
thank's for the compliment, I had no idea that the Goods shed was saved, I do know that the Station building is preserved and now accommodation in the guise of 3 separate dwellings in the one building.

I did of course construct all the Wenlock railway buildings to commission for an EM private layout of which all are on RMweb someware, I don't know if the layout was ever finished but the buildings were constructed quite a few years ago now and sadly last year, the owner passed away, he was a real Gentelman of the rarest kind. 

cheers

Peter A L

• 11 months later...