Down Ampney Layout Build & Workshop Thread (For All Things 7mm FS & 0-16.5)

CME and Bottlewasher

• 3 months later...

Nothing much to report.

The Indian summer never transpired so garden rly work ground to a halt.

Other matters have taken priority and modelling mojo has wained somewhat.

I did help the young friend of ours with his trainset and wagons etc. Also fixed a loco or two for him.

I've also started to modify (hopefully improve) a Dinky/Atlas Bedford TK, a Dinky Ford D Series and an early Sherpa.

More to follow in due course.

Atvb

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hello CME.

It is a little time since I looked at your thread and I am sorry that you have lost your mojo. Perhaps a visit to Ramchester might help - you are always welcome. I cant make the Bristol show this year as first thing tomorrow (Friday) I am due for a minor op on my leg. The mole I had cut out before Christmas has to be redone in order to ensure that they have hot it all. Derrrrr... Still better safe than sorry.

Rod

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Rod,

Thanks for the invite, kind words and encouragement - all much appreciated.

I won't be at Bristol this year either.I hope to get to Reading in May though as I might have some stuff to sell.

I hope that your second Op goes well and that you continue to have the all clear. I'm glad to hear that your being taken good care of too.

We are no strangers to several 'scares', byopsies, scans etc etc and have had a fair few Ops between us. Small victories, one day at a time, Rod and being the moment sees you through.

Good luck - please let us know how you get on.

Kindest regards,

M.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

And some more.....mocking up the Ford D Series. Neither the TK nor the D Series is perfect, but with some tweaks and detailing, plus the right 'livery' they should be reasonable.

The D Series has had it's damaged tipper removed and I'm going to turn it into a flatbed.

IMG_20200113_131237.jpg

IMG_20200113_131227.jpg

IMG_20200113_131207.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Rod,

Hope all is okay with you?

The vehicles are basically toys, one is an old Dinky (Ford D Series), damaged and the other is a Chinese (licenced) 'collectable' interpretation of a Dinky Bedford TK (also broken). The Sherpa is a cheap model from the front of a James Bond themed magazine.

None of them are accurate and as such are representations, but with detailing and new paint will be acceptable.

There are detailed Bedford TKs from Corgi but they're 1:50 scale.

The Bedford and Ford D Series kits are also 1:50 scale. 1:43 military kits are raised Bedford MKs and as good as they are, pricey.

For my MOD train, I'm using, a now defunct range of, resin AFVs, used for wargaming.

I have a 1:43 Corgi truck and an IXO truck too, but tbh, for 1960s/1970s 7mm rlys, lorries are in short supply. Hence my make do and mend approach.

Which, on the shoulders of giants, has been inspired by the likes of 'Old Bob' (of this parish) and John Emerson.

TTFN.

CME.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

I have a 1:43 Corgi truck and an IXO truck too, but tbh, for 1960s/1970s 7mm rlys, lorries are in short supply.

Ixo do a pretty good 1:43 Bedford TK artic (the one Giles Favell has motorised) in a couple of liveries. Crying out for a Ford D and an AEC/British Leyland!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Ixo do a pretty good 1:43 Bedford TK artic (the one Giles Favell has motorised) in a couple of liveries. Crying out for a Ford D and an AEC/British Leyland!

Agreed HN, their TK artics are very good, but sadly I have no need for an artic TK.

I have the model (Ford Thames) in the photo herewith - a bit early for my era (but local businesses very often had such vehicles for long periods - our local scrap merchants, coal merchants did, when I was young).

I'd also like a Leyland Lynx Ergonomic.

Sadly there are lorries (kits mainly) for previous eras but the D&E era seems, as always, to be the poor relation in that regard.

All a bit strange as several RTR manufacturers have sold a fair few diesel outline models, but commercial vehicles are in VERY short supply.

I spoke to Oxford and others, about Eg. up scaling some of their Forward Control Land Rovers for the Warwells etc., also about 7mm lorries, Eg, Ford D 800s, Bedford TKs et al. Short answer? They weren't interested in even a limited range. I'm sure they'd sell as even a limited range would be adaptable for the modeller and/or collectable.

If some intelligence was applied to the matter I'm sure a manufacturer could see a decent return on such.

All a bit myopic IMHO.

TTFN,

CME

IMG_20200128_011853_087.JPG

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

IXO are trying, this looks great (not sure if it's accurate or not but it looks nice)!

Most of my BR lorries would have been yellow during/after the late 1960s and the type of vehicles to be found on The Sweeney or The Professionals or Carry On At Your Convenience et al...

IMG_20200128_012918_007.JPG

• Like 3

As an aside my dad and I ran small fleets of the prototypes of these - great vehicles (apart from the rust), knocked Fords, Leyland's, LDVs into a cocked hat (I'm sorry to say).

The first ran in all over white with a red mid band and the lower ran in all red livery - always smartly turned out.

IMG_20200128_013815_757.JPG

IMG_20200128_013836_531.JPG

• Like 2

Hi All

Great service from John at Lynx, my set of wheels has arrived.

If the smaller versions had been available I would have kept the Ford as a short-wheel-base, light weight, flatbed. But as the wheels are larger I'll lengthen the chassis and make a heavier duty version of the D Series. IIRC, back in the day, wheel and tyre size played more of a role in payload weights.

Dad had 3-4 very similarly sized D Series lorries, but wheel size (possibly springing too - although I couldn't see the difference as a kid, and I crawled all over the things) differed relative to loadbeds/payload, most other aspects were the same or very similar (standardisation from Ford). Or at least as far as we modellers are concerned, if it looks right it is right. Although, some of the smaller D Series, had tiny wheels, that ready did look incongruous.

I've gently started work on the TK too.

ATVB,

M.

IMG_20200206_130753_775.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Apologies everyone, not a lot to report, lots of thinking about modelling, radio control/dead rail vs DC vs DC. RC is still my preference. Trying to stay chipper, keep inspired etc.

Sadly my partner and I have been pretty poorly with Covid 19, the 'Long Tail' variant.

8 weeks for me (6 for my partner) and several relapses - just this morning, after improvements, I awoke with symptoms again. We've managed, just (at times), to stay out of hospital. We've used various vitamins, supplements (therapeutic doses of vitamin C and bioavailable D3 drops), Echinacea drops, colloidal silver etc, and homeopathy, plus steam etc and that, I think, has helped. Don't hold me that, I'm not a doctor. There are others much worse off. However our health has not been great for 5yrs or more, so CV19 came as a real hammer blow (I had a bad 'SARS Like Virus' January - March 2019, horrible, broke a rib I'd coughed so much, left me very weak, but that was a piece of cake compared to this insidious CV19 virus ) - and we are far from recovered as yet. Time will tell how we will fare in future.

The garden has gone to rack and ruin after a long wet windy, grey winter and bursts of Spring sunshine. Plus, we've done very little, as too unwell, we've been in crisis mode.

I sincerely hope that the rest of you are faring much better, keeping well and staying safe.

Warm wishes,

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

Hi Martin, sorry to hear you have been so poorly.

I was only re-reading your thread on your garden line thread the other night for inspiration for my own proposed build.

Take care and get well soon!

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Martin, sorry to hear you are poorly, wish you a speedy recovery. Some great modelling here, like the work you have done on the Dinky models.

Re the IXO Bedford TK, they do a rigid version as well as Lion carrier:

thumbnail_20191118_202444.jpg.d1fcac95199cf92891a76a78ddb13b94.jpg.1d43e784821e9538a8f91025e3416176.jpg

The body is removable so I created this

thumbnail_20200128_192427.jpg.0fa9eeefbd1705036344650d43e078f2.jpg.5572d7c7bea95b409a1a867aa93102e4.jpg

I agree about the D series being a major gap in 1:43, I would also love a Leyland Ergomatic cab for a Blue Circle Cement tanker but am probably going to have to compromise with a 1:48 model from ASAM, they are doing a Lynx and also a number of the cement tankers already.

Edited by 37114
typo
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, 37114 said:

Re the IXO Bedford TK, they do a rigid version as well as Lion carrier:

The body is removable so I created this.

Sorry for hijack but may be relevant to Martin. I've picked up one of those lions versions - have you shortened the chassis slightly or is that as it came. I thought it looked quite long initially but looking at your photos, that strange low body may be causing that illusion.

Secondly did you source bedford transfers or mask the existing badge? I know a few people looking as it's been discussed elsewhere

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Sorry for hijack but may be relevant to Martin. I've picked up one of those lions versions - have you shortened the chassis slightly or is that as it came. I thought it looked quite long initially but looking at your photos, that strange low body may be causing that illusion.

Secondly did you source bedford transfers or mask the existing badge? I know a few people looking as it's been discussed elsewhere

I thought the same as you about the chassis being too long but when I binned the lion body it looked ok so left it for this lorry as the dropside/Scaffolding wagons tended to be longer. If I was to do a UK box van or normal general purpose flatbed I would take a few cm off the rear overhang. The cab is the original paint, I just removed the star logo with TCut. There are loads of pictures of the work in progress on page 2 of my layout thread (Peasevern Yard)

• Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 20/05/2020 at 14:25, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Martin, sorry to hear you have been so poorly.

I was only re-reading your thread on your garden line thread the other night for inspiration for my own proposed build.

Take care and get well soon!

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade,

Thank you, good luck with your build, please feel free to post a link here.

Kind regards,

Martin

• Thanks 1