Greenwood - For Sale

jamest

• RMweb Gold

I've not looked on this thread for a while and the layout is looking fantastic perhaps I need to have a word with SWMBO and see about a shed like yours as that would cure a few storage problems for my layout.

I'm really liking the row of houses and the station building I wish I could build to that standard.

Keep up the great work 

Cheers 

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Thanks for the kind words - the shed is great - I reccomend getting one. Its great to be able to walk away from a session and just close the door. When I was in the garage or on the dining room table I had to clear up after every playtime. I'm afraid the shed is not quite as tidy as it was in the earlier picture of the interior - notice I don't show anything but the layout at the moment!

I do get pressure to store garden furniture, etc in there but it is strictly a no garden tool/furniture zone!

Back to the layout - I have redone the half relief factory and shed in blue and dark red brick. I've also sourced some round and half-round strip to have a bash at some guttering and downpipes.

Here is the shed - dark red brick, wills sheet roof and guttering in place unpainted (the building is not fixed in place yet):

post-7097-0-85784500-1510857781.jpg

And the factory - really pleased with this - I've still got to paint the roof/add guttering/downpipes/some fasia and cover the two ridges with strip:

Dark Blue brick - wills corrugated roof.

post-7097-0-57576800-1510857782.jpg  post-7097-0-25054900-1510857783.jpg

post-7097-0-45368100-1510857784.jpg

The one area I'm not keen on is the left hand end over the platform end. I want to put something here but I don't have a lot of height to spare with the backscene so low and I don't want to fill it with green. I was going for a road but I've since gone for two other road crossings - and I've stepped the retaining wall down behind the sidings meaning it is not possible. I think in reality the 'tunnel mouth' would not exist as I have the surroundings set, and the cutting would continue, so I need to make the best of a bad planning situation!

I've laid some ground cover (cheap wilko tester pot grey with woodburner ash spread on when wet - then hoovered off) and I quite like this structure in the photo below - maybe with a wall behind it, and an entrance from behind to the far right of it - lots of crap lying around - leave it with me and lets see what happens!

post-7097-0-10418100-1510857785.jpg

Cheers for now,

James

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Well its been a while!

The layout has suffered from a lack of attention over the last few years but I want to push on and put some finishing touches on it. I also had a troublesome point motor on the crossover at the scenic entrance so I spent a while replacing the solenoid from underneath. It is all working now and I've enjoyed having a few running sessions recently.

So I've added some trunking for the point cables and added some relay boxes - I'm no expert on this so its more of an artists impression of the real thing! Please excuse me if I've broken any rules.

So a view looking down the layout showing the trunking and the wire running under the track to the far point motor:

IMG_20200329_141445.jpg.3370514c21d5b02768780f41fef33c72.jpg

And on under the road bridge:

IMG_20200329_141415.jpg.8c1b273be9d9e8c640e81e29dd5fe137.jpg

And back towards the station:

IMG_20200329_141434.jpg.1bdda2cfccd97aada26503161ed45951.jpg

It ends under the other road bridge before the station out of sight:

IMG_20200329_141502.jpg.0aa6b9904c196e412166eca3ac5298ca.jpg

And the same sort of shots during a running session:

IMG_20200329_141553.jpg.0c8343d66baee24a6dbdda2c029a2db5.jpg

IMG_20200329_141704.jpg.054833519ef093c56904f13536280eb2.jpg

IMG_20200329_142820.jpg.6b87354c7434d65a3be6a69754eb269f.jpg

IMG_20200403_154029.jpg.0d9c4154a60bf65f687ea45d543c4b27.jpg

All the best,

James

• Like 16

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all, 

Shameless bump I'm afraid. 

I've decided to sell this layout to make room in the shed for a small O gauge layout. 

Please see classifieds for details... Or pm me. 

Regards, 

James

• jamest changed the title to Greenwood - For Sale
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Second, and last, shameless bump.

I'm still selling this on the classifieds...and reduced the price - I'm hoping to move it on rather than salvaging what I can and scrapping it. I'm never comfortable pricing my own work!

I'd rather it went to a good home - if it suits someone's needs.

Regards,

James

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Lacathedrale said:

I've just read through this thread for the first time and found it very enjoyable. I'm sad to see the layout needing to move on, hopefully you can find a suitable home for it.

Hi, 

Thanks.... I'm afraid my available space can't keep up with my ideas! 

I've been bitten by the O gauge bug and need this side of the shed for that. I have another OO layout opposite which does not have a thread here yet... One more stored underneath it (North Molton) and another smaller one stored in the garage (Niwbwrch)! 

I think I have commitment issues! 

Regards, 

James

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Agree with the above, this is a fantastic little layout, full of character, and well modelled. I really enjoyed reading the thread on its progress. It’d be a huge shame to scrap it!

This is just the sort of idea I had wandering round in my head for running my DMUs on too!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Yep, it's a nice little layout. I was actually tempted when I had a look at the ad in Classifieds just now. And then saw that you're at the opposite end of the country! 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, 

The layout is heading up the M5 (hopefully moving) to its new home. 

Many thanks for the support and encouragement.... On to the next project. 

Regards, 

James

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Very happy to say that after a 400 mile round trip, I am the new custodian of Greenwood!

I didn't start the week intending to take on another layout, but after seeing this thread, I really liked the layout, and upon noticing it was for sale, a plan started formulating.

My work in progress yard layout isn't suitably sized (or intended) for my small collection of DMUs, so there was an idea of a second small terminus layout for the garage to make use of them, Greenwood will fill that role perfectly.

It'll move forward in time again, to become an early 1990s Midlands region station, but will for the time being be largely unchanged from what James has created. Further plans might include 'upgrading' the point motors to slow action DCC operation, and continuing the single track into a second fiddle yard past the station, as originally designed by James.

I'll start a new thread for progress under my ownership in due course, but would like to take this opportunity to thank James for entrusting me with the layout, and for helping me load it all into the car for its journey to its new home in Leicestershire, I hope I can do it justice going forward.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Absolute pleasure Matt,

looking forward to seeing how you develop it. It's yours now, and what you have planned sounds great. I'd like to claim it was good planning on my part to leave it era non specific... But we both know it's not! 

Hope to see some pics on here when you are ready. 

All the best, 

James

• Like 3