2013 AGM

queensquare

Alasdair Campbell won the Groves and Members' Cup with a lovely Highland Strath 4-4-0, the John Barker with a rake of very well-executed Highland double-deck sheep wagons and the Malcolm Stone (if that's the one for buildings etc) with a model of Newtonmore station building. Nigel Hunt won the Dreadnought trophy with his Caledonian Express rake of carriages. Geoff Jones received the Mike Bryant Cup for writing "Track". Rich Brummitt was awarded the Chairman's Trophy for two horseboxes. My memory is failing over the other awards, I'm afraid. It was a good day out.

Edited to correct the name of the award for Geoff Jones.

Blimey Jerry, give us a chance ;)  - I haven't even unpacked the stuff I bought from the central shop, let alone started writing-up the minutes! (something called work has gone in the way since 5am this morning!).

To add to Steve's list, Alan Pearson was awarded the Geoff Balfour trophy for his articles in MRJ on the scenery for 'Fence Houses', the Willis Cup wasn't awarded, and the Neil Ballantine Quaich was awarded to Richard Wilson for his GWR small prairie. The Geoff Jones layout trophy was awarded to the Midlands Area Group for their layout 'St Ruth' (who were on duty exhibiting the layout at the Farnham show yesterday).

Attractions included David Long's micro-layout 'Water Lane', Tony Simms' 'Brafferton', John Whitehead's 'Tiviot Dale' and Anthony Yeates with a board from 'Corrieshalloch'. The Association Central Shop was present, as was Allen Doherty with his 'Worsley Works' range of kits. Other demos included John Aldrick building GWR coaches, Laurie Adams' trackwork for his 'magnum opus' model of 'Yeovil' and Geoff Jones with tools and jigs. Mike Raithby (ex-2mm chairman and our guest judge for the competitions) brought along two sublime 'Buckminster' dioramas which featured some of his buildings and watercolour backscenes. Neil Moxham did sterling service behind the refreshment counter dispensing teas, coffees and cakes - several committee members and exhibitors came home with spare cakes too at the end of the day! The formal business was over in about 30 mins - we have two new committee members to replace two retiring members.

If there is anything else I've missed then I apologise - it was quite a busy day but very enjoyable. Time to make the most of the inspiration gained now and fire up the soldering iron I think!

Pics may follow (when I've seen if they came out OK).

Andy

(edit to correct typos)

• RMweb Gold

Pretty good effort Andy although I do think the Association has let itself down a little by not managing to eat all the cakes. I went to a Scale 7 gathering on Saturday that was being held locally and, whilst those boys can't manage scenery they can certainly put away the cake! :mosking:

Seriously, I didn't expect pics and info immediately, I just wanted to start a thread so the pics of what was on display on the day had a home - 5.00am tomorrow will do! :sungum:

cheers Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the pics. That little Highland layout looks really interesting. I spoke to Mike Raithby recently and he said he had put some of his stuff in picture frames, as Andy said they do look sublime. I'm really pleased he has done that because those beautiful models were just languishing away in a drawer. I had been trying to get him to give the Andrew Barclay tank a run out on the colliery but sadly, it never happened.

Also, good to have Nick Dearnley back active and in the committee. A very good modeller and top chap - the D in DG couplings for those who didn't know.

Jerry

Don't worry Jerry, the cakes went to good homes!! (and I don't usually do 5am starts!)

Excellent photos Tom, much better than my efforts! Yes, we now have Nick Dearnley and Nigel Hunt on the committee - both superb modellers and all-round nice people. A few of my un-tweaked piccies from the day;

Mike Raithby's dioramas

post-8055-0-92931300-1381688529_thumb.jpg

The competition tables and the main hall

post-8055-0-92777500-1381688585_thumb.jpg

Photographing the competition entries

post-8055-0-67834600-1381688637_thumb.jpg

3 Rmwebbers discussing modelling (Richard Wilson, David Long, Steve Sykes).

post-8055-0-31955600-1381688745_thumb.jpg

Andy

Pretty good effort Andy although I do think the Association has let itself down a little by not managing to eat all the cakes. I went to a Scale 7 gathering on Saturday that was being held locally and, whilst those boys can't manage scenery they can certainly put away the cake! :mosking:

Seriously, I didn't expect pics and info immediately, I just wanted to start a thread so the pics of what was on display on the day had a home - 5.00am tomorrow will do! :sungum:

cheers Jerry

Mmmmmmmmm caaaakes

• RMweb Gold

It was Nick Dearnaley's MR layout that really convinced me to try 2mm. I had been enjoying seeing Chiltern Green but it didn't go in for much shunting. Nick's layout with the DG couplings showed that it could be done sucessfully in a small scale.

Don

1,1a and 1b are all Alisdair Campbell's models with the loco being the Groves Trophy winner. Followed by a GWR SOO class (something or other...!) by Richard Wilson, then one of Nigel Hunt's  coaches from the Caledonian Express. Next up, 2 Horse boxes by Richard Brummitt followed by another Nigel Hunt entry, Duchess 46245 City of London, then Geoff Jones's 8F 8014 and last of the models a rake of vehicles from wagonologist Steve Sykes.

Oh - mustn't forget the tea lady Mrs Moxham (Well done and thank you Neil.....!)

Archived