North American Inglenook

devious diesel

Putting the speaker in an enclosure does make a big difference to the sound. I have two of these decoders, one at each end of the 4ft layout to balance the sound (following a tip from Shortliner), and because the enclosures I made are different sizes and made from different materials (one foamboard, one plywood - how Heath Robinson is that?), one of the speakers is louder than the other so I've had to increase the volume of one.

(I would also recommend not using bubble wrap to cushion the speaker, especially in a small enclosure - overheating soon occurs and the speaker stops working! Luckily no harm done and it was fine once it cooled).

P.S. the only thing I don't like about these MRC sounders is that they don't have a short horn.

Hi

I really think some manufacturer should seriously look at proper system under the baseboard.

It could be wired to the wiring bus for matching with on board decoders or AC current draw.

The sound could by downloadable and transferable by USB.

I am sure that lots of people would find an affordable system of this type more than good enough, especially for small one loco in steam layouts.

David

Hi David!

I have been thinking about under baseboard sound ever since I read Lance Mindheim's how to on wireless headphone sound.

Here's the link to that page on his blog:

http://lancemindheim.com/?page_id=863

Just want to know if you used this method but only replaced the headphones with cpu speakers.

Or did you use the ordinary locomotive speakers fitted inside a enclosure.

Cheers!

Jacques

Hi

I really think some manufacturer should seriously look at proper system under the baseboard.

It could be wired to the wiring bus for matching with on board decoders or AC current draw.

The sound could by downloadable and transferable by USB.

I am sure that lots of people would find an affordable system of this type more than good enough, especially for small one loco in steam layouts.

David

Downloadable sounds would certainly help. But you can bet your life that a proper system would attract a 'proper' price, like the Kato Sound Box for DC systems - advertised in MR for $279.99, with extra plug-in sound modules at $29.99 a go. And only one supplied speaker at that, although it does have a stereo out port.

Hi Jacques

I have just temporarily enclosed the speaker supplied at the moment. To be fair its more than powerful enough for the small room the layout is in. It was just a matter of putting the to pick up wires on the decoder into the power terminals.

I have bought a double throw switch today so I can isolate the decoder when I want to read and programme cv's on the loco's.

Rod

Your probably right about the pricing if we where talking about something Hi Fi. I am thinking about something that is purely prime move, horns and bells .

Perhaps a basic board with a USB connection or SD card reader to load and or store the info required on and outputs for the users choice of speaker or headphone. The MRC decoder you kindly pointed me in the direction of is more than adequate for my needs. I was thinking about something more flexible for UK outline users for instance.

David

Archived