3D metal anyone

For anything up to 7mm, get friendly with your local dental mechanic. They are set up for casting in various metals and plastics. Many would be looking for something different than making false teeth. I'm not sure if they'd burn out plastic, but a wax pattern would be no problem, it's what they do.

Thanks for the video link, etched Pixels. I was as surprised as him that the casting turned out that good. Personally, I'd have done it differently, and most likely it wouldn't have worked.

Best wishes,

Ray

Just an update - I've just spoken to my local dental mechanic, and he will be quite happy to do whatever I want in the investment casting line, spruing up, burning out, casting, etc. Happy for me to provide the metal, or whatever. I remember visiting one elsewhere, and he was casting door handles for his veteran car. I'm pretty sure, if you approach 'em right, you'll get a few castings done. But be polite - in a fw years time they may be making your false teeth :jester:

As an aside to the above, the dental industry is moving quite rapidly into 3d printing. I have a friend who has worked on, amongst others several very high profile premiership and ex premiership footballers (think now plying their trade abroad!).

Quite a lot of stuff including titanium etc is done by a Madrid based lab, apparently turn round time, quality and ease of production are the reasons why. 

Managed to get the 3d printed brass connecting rods from imaterialise painted, and onto the loco today. I've used romford/markits wheels, crankpins on this loco - as well as their bushes as bearings. Running it in at present, very pleased with how these have worked out compared to the alternative methods - they're exactly the right length for each section, so no awkward binding!

Regards

Richard.

post-7813-0-99136300-1383324344.jpg

post-7813-0-48111400-1383324357_thumb.jpg

Hi Matt,

They were sprued as a set of four - as I have two of these locos so needed a set for each. Price was about £40 from imaterialise including postage, so about £10 per rod.... not cheap at all, and may make wheels too expensive to do, realistically at present. For con rods for this sort of odd irish engine, it's just about cost effective in time and materials, clearly, if I'm doing another one, then all I have to do is print them, and I know they're spot on......

Sadly not this year, though maybe next year. With our new arrival, It wouldn't have gone down well if I'd disappeared for a long weekend to the show. Will be there though at some point!

Regards

Richard.

Archived