Caledonian tank loco scratch build (From post No. 10)

Although the tank loco still has a few jobs to be done on it I'm waiting for parts so having nothing to be getting on with on it I've turned my attention to the next project. As some of you both on this thread and in private mails have said you would like to see a bit of Caley blue next time so I've restarted the Dunalastair III and have made the dome and I'm half way through the chimney two of the jobs which stalled it last time here's the link to the latest post.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/92190-steve-caledonian-work-bench-making-a-brace-of-scottish-4-4-0s/?p=2026219

I'm a latecomer to this topic but it's "right up my street". Thoroughly fascinating, especially the 0-8-0T chassis adaptation. I'm glad to find I'm not the only one mad enough to do this kind of modelling.

It must be something to do with consumption of jam or marmalade from those little Wilkins pots. We have those from time to time too!

• Like 1

The pots of jam I'm ashamed to say are a left over from the hotel where we went in Scotland for my sons wedding you see my wife has an embarrassing habit of clearing the table of all the bits and bobs like these "Well we've paid for it" she'll say. I just sit there and cringe in silence.

The chassis looks a right bodge I know but after a few hiccups discussed in the thread it seems to be working lovely now. Being no chassis builder my reckoning was as the original Hornby 0-6-0 chassis was such a nice little runner by only altering the rear axle and fitting a forth the front two including the second axle which meshed with the motor would still be OK and any faults would only be confined to the rear axles which was the case and was easily corrected - plus it was cheap :derisive: . Thanks Steve

Edited by Londontram

• 4 weeks later...

Back in post 35 is a couple of pictures of the half completed loco sat on a friends layout and today I visited him again and took another picture of it now in top coat sat in the same spot. No progress I afraid as I still need to get some lettering and lining for it but this months disposable  has had to be diverted to more pressing jobs so I'll get them next month now instead. But here's the picture. Not a good one I'm afraid as its done on my phone and in poor light.

post-17847-0-04815000-1445454157_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 months later...

"Whats next" gosh what a question, so much to do but I think I might have a go at finishing the Dunalastair III that I had on the go last year which I was building using a T9 body on a modified B12 chassis cut down to a 4-4-0 that stalled for the same reason that this one almost did which was lack of availability of a dome and chimney but now I know I can make them I can push on with that loco the only other thing it needed was hand rails so Its quite far along. I think I need to clear up some of the back log first before starting any new projects.

Also to be finished is a 439 class 0-4-4 tank which I was building from a Hornby M2 but I've learnt so much from this build that I'll need to strip that back down and virtually start again to get it to the standard I want now.

The rest of the loco wish list

Dunalastair I (The one with the sandboxes on the splashers) this has been built the same way as the Dunalastair III, the chassis and body are almost as far done as the other one but the tender needs a lot of work as its been cut down to a 6 wheel tender from a GBL T9 8 wheeler.

104 class 0-4-4 tank the chassis has been done and is running for this but the body will need scratch building like the 492 tank

782 class 0-6-0 tank the standard Caley 3F tank again scratch built body on a Bachmann chassis (All most a small version of the 492 tank)

323 class 0-6-0 saddle tank the forerunner of the 782 above, will go on a Hornby chassis

Jumbo 0-6-0 freight loco I did start this and was going to build it on the Bachmann chassis but the Bachmann can motor doesn't really suit this so this will most likely go on a Hornby chassis and the Bachmann chassis will be used for the 782 where the side tanks hide the can motor better.

I've a little pug 0-4-0 that needs super detailing as well

So you can see I've enough to keep me busy for a while to come

I'm a returning modeller after a career and family; now retired. I noticed the conversion of the J83 chassis for a 104 class 0-4-4T referred to in the early days of this discussion but it disappeared and is only briefly referred to again (above). Can we hear more of it? Did you reduce the height of the motor to fit in the body? If so, how? I'm beginning to model a fictitious branch of the C&O and have nearly completed a scratch-built class 55 Oban bogie begun when I was a callow youth modelling Dalmally.

Thanks for looking in the 104 class 0-4-4 chassis is not forgotten and is coming very near to the top of the build list, my main Caley loco page is here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/92190-steve-caledonian-locomotive-work-bench/?p=1649500 and the 104 tank is next on the list after the big 903 class featured in the later posts on the other thread. Its going to be shunted back one place in the list as just before Christmas I took on a commission build for a friend for another Caley tank which I plan to start soon. The 104 build when I do start it should be very much like the 782 tank featured on the other thread as both tanks from the front to the cabs are very similar

Edited by Londontram

Thanks for looking in the 104 class 0-4-4 chassis is not forgotten and is coming very near to the top of the build list, my main Caley loco page is here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/92190-steve-caledonian-locomotive-work-bench/?p=1649500 and the 104 tank is next on the list after the big 903 class featured in the later posts on the other thread. Its going to be shunted back one place in the list as just before Christmas I took on a commission build for a friend for another Caley tank which I plan to start soon. The 104 build when I do start it should be very much like the 782 tank featured on the other thread as both tanks from the front to the cabs are very similar

Thanks. Yes, I've enjoyed going through the main caley locos site. Most ingeneous and, might I say, adventurous! I have a j83 chassis from which I have removed a fair amount of metal to try to fit them into a 782 cast kit which I have resurrected after 40 years. Unfortunately I have found it is too tall to fit inside. What has been your experience of fitting it into the 104's boiler?

Thanks. Yes, I've enjoyed going through the main caley locos site. Most ingeneous and, might I say, adventurous! I have a j83 chassis from which I have removed a fair amount of metal to try to fit them into a 782 cast kit which I have resurrected after 40 years. Unfortunately I have found it is too tall to fit inside. What has been your experience of fitting it into the 104's boiler?

Well I've got that fun to come as the 104 is still a chassis only at this stage though the 0-6-0 tanks I use are the later Hornby ones not the ones with the old xo4 motor as I think the new motor sits lower in the later chassis. The chap you need to talk to is Andy - uax6 as he's building a white metal 782 kit on a Hornby chassis. The SE Finecast body line kit is a white metal kit designed to go on a Hornby chassis so it should be able to be made to fit.

My 782 is on a Bachmann chassis as I had width rather than height issues with the Bachmann motor on another project. Of all the builds the only ones that have caused height issues is the B12 chassis when shortened and used under the T9 bodies.

On the big Cardean boiler I had to cut the top out of the boiler tube for the top of the motor to fit into but the boiler is covered with a 10 thou wrap which covers all this up. Have you tried removing material from the inside of the boiler with a Dremel type tool or even a hand file. which is what I had to do with the T9 bodies.

Edited by Londontram

• RMweb Premium

The J83 chassis should fit the SEF /Wills 782, as it was the chassis it was designed to fit. Certainly mine fits fine. The XO4 should poke into the cab (presuming you are useing the original shape J83 chassis. I'm not sure that the modern version with the leading wheel drive will fit!). Having said that I have hacked the J83 chassis in mine around severly. I've removed the lump at the rear of the chassis, and then drilled the area above the rear axle out to fit a branchlines slim 50:1 gearbox and mashima can and flywheel. This efectively removes the motor from the cab (with just a tad of the top of the worm showing.) The front axle has then had its holes elongated top and bottom and springs fitted to give it a bit of felixiblity (as its now running all flanged romfords), and then I carved out the bit between the front and middle axle to give it a better 'frame' shape. Looks much better!

Drop me a Pm if you want to see more details.

Andy G

Had an afternoon on the 492 tank today and tried to wrap up some of the last jobs, one was to fit the three link couplings and then repaint the connecting rods red as more information has come to light showing that the 492 class rods were painted red not black. The C and R was added along with the crest and the bunker was "coaled up"

The two crew were painted and glued in place and the cab roof was finally glued in place. It still needs lining and the bunker side cast number plate, the linings my fault but the crest is on order from 247 developments so I'm at there mercy there. What I might do tomorrow if the weather holds I might take it out side in the natural light and take a decent photo for the loco challenge, Here's a picture of how she looks at the moment.

post-17847-0-81305700-1452611841.jpg

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 12

A few more pictures of the 492 class 0-8-0 tank loco some of which are used on  the build a loco challenge thread. These were taken on the sea wall in Great Yarmouth with the dunes forming the back drop.

Catching the early evening sun No 494 pauses between shunting duties on a windswept colliery line some where in Scotland the loco just oozes power. Big heavy and an 0-8-0 she's up to any job that's put before here, with a willing crew locos like this could perform Herculean feats the likes of which we shall never see again.

post-17847-0-61616000-1452703772_thumb.jpg

post-17847-0-82990300-1452703786_thumb.jpg

post-17847-0-85447900-1452703797.jpg

post-17847-0-29580000-1452703817.jpg

post-17847-0-17854400-1452703834_thumb.jpg

post-17847-0-79174600-1452703856_thumb.jpg

I tell you what looking at these pictures I'm glad I went to the effort of cutting away most if the motor mounting block on the Hornby chassis as with its high pitched boiler it needed that daylight gap,

Thanks for following. Steve

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I used a Bachmann Jinty chassis under my Wills 782. No height issues and it performs well.

Ross

I realised that I was taking the wrong place on the j83 chassis as the datum for the footplate! It fits fine. All I have to do now is to reshape the front and rear of the chassis and make fixing points.

Super work on the 49, Steve

• 4 years later...

Hi Steve, I realise this thread is a few years old but lovely work on the 0-8-0T. I stumbled on it whilst Googling plans for the 439 0-4-4T, which I note you started on P1. I have a current Hornby M7 I am thinking of converting to such a loco, in late BR condition probably, once I can get hold of some plans.

Martyn.