DCC sound decoders for US diesels

Alcanman

• RMweb Premium

I've updated one of my locomotives with the new Full Throttle settings, it takes a little bit of getting used to, but on the whole I like it! On wards to the next one.

I take it you can do this with a Lok V4 and a Lok programmer then??

One other question, does this mean all subsequent Loksound V4 will come already programed with the new Full Throttle firmware??

• RMweb Gold

I find the Econami very good. Not as many functions but then again the novelty wears off using all of them when operating at shows etc.

I now have two locos with Econmai, the latest being a Proto 2000 GP9. It was one of the originals with no space for a speaker so I have done a little bit of cut and carve to make space for a Sugar Cube with the decoder going where the old DC board was. new LED headlights ot replace the bulbs and its all done. Its that noisy that I have taken the volume down quite a bit.

Another Econami to fit but I will try a Tsunami2 if I can get one cheaply on the next trip over the pond.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've just had my Atlas silver GP40-2 converted to Loksound by Kevin at Coastal DCC as recommended on this forum earlier this year, thanks Kevin, and I'm blown away by the full throttle and by the quality of the sound compared to MTH, QSI and Soundtraxx. There is NO comparison. I hope Kevin can convert the others as funds allow!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I  have now installed a Tsunami 2 in my Amtrak P42 and just this afternoon one in my Seminole Gulf GP9. really good even with a Sugar Cube speaker. Had to substantially turn the sound down in both.

A Tsunami 2 still to fit to another GE loco which I may well do tomorrow.

Edited by roundhouse

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looks like Walthers have switched from Tsunami to ESU Loksound with this latest anouncement in their Proto range.

https://www.walthers.com/emd-gp9-loksound-select-dcc-sound-bangoor-aroostook-76-gray-red-black?ref=1

Hi Malc,

Yes - caught out by this recently.

Not too bad though - even if the Select is a 'once only' programable decoder.

From playing a little, the range of sound etc that are much better than the Tsunami.

Will have to see how well they compare against a top of the range decoder.

I might get a chance to do this at Modelrail this weekend.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi Malc,

Yes - caught out by this recently.

Not too bad though - even if the Select is a 'once only' programable decoder.

What do you mean 'once only'?  As in one complete soundfile/ project that cannot be tweaked further (unlike the completely customisable projects for the full V4.0 versions), or only one upload, as that would be wrong. you can upload into a Select over and over again, but it will be entire project files every time. 

• RMweb Gold

What do you mean 'once only'?  As in one complete soundfile/ project that cannot be tweaked further (unlike the completely customisable projects for the full V4.0 versions), or only one upload, as that would be wrong. you can upload into a Select over and over again, but it will be entire project files every time. 

Hi torikoos,

Apologies - could have worded this better than I did!

You are correct.

One complete sound file/project as a single upload.

Thanks

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I bought this from ebay described as having intermittent sound, when tested it had no sound at all and removing the body revealed only one wire attached to the speaker connecting the grey wire gave a range of sounds. Now there is a white wire not connected and a capacitor connected but its legs are not insulated. The loco has replacement LEDS for the bulbs with resistors.It needs the power to be 7/8 before it moves off.

Does the panel think I should remove it all and start again or find a home for the white wire and wrap everything in insulating tape or is there a third way?  I have moved this to DCC Sound area and will delete this as soon as I work out how to.

post-2791-0-07985000-1509045065_thumb.jpg

Edited by skipepsi

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if Atlas are now shipping their Gold series ESU Loksound fitted locos with the 'Full Throttle' feature?

Looks like the new run of GP38s are arriving in shops and they look good.

Mal

Edited by Alcanman

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Does anyone know the type of decoder factory fitted to the At las Silver and Gold level loco?

Suppose it's the same question as above really... sorry

Edited by daveyb

Does anyone know the type of decoder factory fitted to the At las Silver and Gold level loco?

Suppose it's the same question as above really... sorry

Atlas Silver are dcc ready, so you fit the decoder of your choice. Atlas Gold are fitted with ESU Loksound Select decoders. And, in answer to my own question above, the latest release GP38s have the full

throttle/drivehold feature. I have one on order.  Older Atlas Gold locos were fitted with QSI sound decoders.

Mal

Edited by Alcanman

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Resurrecting an old topic.

I've fitted three TCS Wowsound kits into locos so far (Athearn Genesis SD45 and two Atlas Athearn  CF7s).

Thanks to their installation guides, they are very easy to do.

It''s a full kit with 21pin decoder, replacement circuit board, speaker and keep-alive if not included as part of the main board.

The kits vary with the exact contents as they are quite specific to each loco model.

The boards feature connections for either lamps or LEDs. (I will swap to LEDs when I get chance)

I have ordered two more that are currently being delivered to my courier niece in West Virginia.

(Currently available at $103 each from Yankee Dabbler in NJ)

The installation guides cover a lot of locos, but if it isn't on there, a quick email to their customer support came up trumps.

Thanks to Dan at TCS, he advised me which kit to purchase for an Atlas B23-7 that will eventually become an ugly duckling BQ23-7

The other kit is for a Atlas NRE Genset I.

They have a feature called "Audio Assist" that circumvents normal CV programming.  However, there are a couple of gaps in it that forget to mention "press F8 to save changes"..... It is however, listed on their flowchart on the website

(Much mirth amongst my work colleagues when it wouldn't save the changes as I'm forever going on about "read the instructions" - in my defence I  could say I that I had listened to the instructions!)

Each decoder has a 8MB micro SD card on the rear, so it can hold a lot of sound!

It's not worth providing a "how I did it" as the TCS guides are quite comprehensive.

http://tcsdcc.com/installations/wowsound

TCS Wowkits are currently my after market choice of sound fitting.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Oh if only :cry:- in 2-rail O Scale if you please... ;) :locomotive:

My HO CF7 is by Athearn. Have I missed something?

Oops!

At least someone's reading this...…..

Duly corrected.

Cheers,

Mick

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick,

I’m reading it as well - I’ve done a Genesis GP38-2 with Wowsound and got an Bachman’s Amtrak ACS64 lecky with it prefitted - it has a corny “Easter egg” extra in that it has 3 US patriotic songs hidden away - if you are at Ally Pally this weekend, I’ll show you..!

Chris I.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New updates you may know:  ESU has launched the V5 decoder, which features amongst others improved motor control and improved soundquality with 10 channels simultaneously being an option.  Not sure if there will be a Select decoder version at this time. There appears to be a Direct V5 , as it's called, which may be a replacement for the select direct line and it's board will fit in most DCC Ready US models (such as Athearn/Atlas designs etc)   The full manual is not yet available in English, but a quick start guide is.   The first models are shipping with this decoder too, amongst which ScaleTrains latest SD40-T2 Tunnelmotors.   Updated sounds are scheduled to be released in the coming weeks to take full advantage of the improved sound features...  http://www.esu.eu/en/products/loksound/loksound-5-dcc-direct/

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
On 20/03/2019 at 18:48, Dalesman said:

Hi Mick,

I’m reading it as well - I’ve done a Genesis GP38-2 with Wowsound and got an Bachman’s Amtrak ACS64 lecky with it prefitted - it has a corny “Easter egg” extra in that it has 3 US patriotic songs hidden away - if you are at Ally Pally this weekend, I’ll show you..!

Chris I.

Do all of their decoders have Easter Eggs?

I've used one in a SW1500 and am working on a F59 after accidentally changing the Switcher's prime mover to a 710 and being impressed with the sound.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all, after some help. I've just bought an Atlas NRE Genset 2nd hand which I want to add DCC sound to. So far I've only found the Soundtraxx TSU-PNP decoder which has the Genset sound file available. Are there any others out there? Has anyone added sound to a Genset and give me some tips?

Cheers Lee

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, z4driver said:

Hi all, after some help. I've just bought an Atlas NRE Genset 2nd hand which I want to add DCC sound to. So far I've only found the Soundtraxx TSU-PNP decoder which has the Genset sound file available. Are there any others out there? Has anyone added sound to a Genset and give me some tips?

Cheers Lee

When you do find out - let me know!

I contacted TCS last year - they did not do a sound set for it yet, but they show installation instructions for a Wowkit on their website...……..

(A UK Voyager uses the same engines - Cummins QSK series, so it may be possible to adapt that)

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/02/2020 at 10:20, newbryford said:

When you do find out - let me know!

I contacted TCS last year - they did not do a sound set for it yet, but they show installation instructions for a Wowkit on their website...……..

(A UK Voyager uses the same engines - Cummins QSK series, so it may be possible to adapt that)

Well  I've found a sound file for ESU  Loksound (http://projects.esu.eu/projectoverviews/search?cat=19&q=Genset), now just to work out which decoder and speaker to use

• Like 2

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 15:34, torikoos said:

New updates you may know:  ESU has launched the V5 decoder, which features amongst others improved motor control and improved soundquality with 10 channels simultaneously being an option.  Not sure if there will be a Select decoder version at this time. There appears to be a Direct V5 , as it's called, which may be a replacement for the select direct line and it's board will fit in most DCC Ready US models (such as Athearn/Atlas designs etc)   The full manual is not yet available in English, but a quick start guide is.   The first models are shipping with this decoder too, amongst which ScaleTrains latest SD40-T2 Tunnelmotors.   Updated sounds are scheduled to be released in the coming weeks to take full advantage of the improved sound features...  http://www.esu.eu/en/products/loksound/loksound-5-dcc-direct/

I've near completed a V5 direct install with a Bowser twin sugarcube speaker to an old (very old!) Athearn SD45t-2 with the S0707 soundfile. Absolute piece of cake to do, the only snag was getting a second motor feed and also being able to secure the decoder, easily done using a spare motor link and some double sided tape. I've tried using the original grain of wheat bulbs and a 400ohm resistor with the chips 2.2k resistors bridged out, which while it works it just makes the install a bit messy so shall be trying Genesis replacement LEDs instead and going back to the chips built in resistors. I only wish I could cram an Earthmover speaker in there, its one of the best soundfiles I've heard to date.

• Like 1