DCC sound decoders for US diesels

Alcanman

• 2 weeks later...

ESU have started a series of videos on Youtube entited 'ESU from the workbench' which promises to be very interesting for those interested in dcc sound and related matters. Here is the first video introduced by Matt Hermann.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-Riv9UU9nA

Mal

Edited by Alcanman

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil, will this help?  http://www.modelrectifier.com/resources/trainSound/warranty%20procedure%20all%20train%20products.pdf

According to that, it could be 6 months. 

Hi all,

DCC Supplies have arranged for a replacement decoder to be sent to me.

I'm happy with this outcome but, as I said previously, I won't be buying any more MRC decoders.

Thanks

The expanded range of available (diesel) sounds, as well as plug in replacement versions of the TCS WOW sound decoders are now available, now also with LED support out of the box, so no separate resistors should be needed.

Here's the press release: 

http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Customer_Info/Whats_New/What%27s_New.htm

Koos

Edited by torikoos

The expanded range of available (diesel) sounds, as well as plug in replacement versions of the TCS WOW sound decoders are now available, ...

Really impressed with the EMD Wowsound I got, but now I need EMD 645 Non-turbo, & Alco 244, neither of which are done by TCS :( .... hopefully only "yet"....

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Well - DCC Supplies have done the good deed and I now have a new MRC 1633 decoder.

That solves the problem that it wouldn't hold any programming anyway!

OK - So the 1633 is sold as a sound decoder as suitable for 'EMD Modern Switcher'.

Now - what does that really mean?

It tells the buyer nothing about the engine size, cylinders, Turbo or Non Turbo fitted, dynamic or non dynamic.

In short - nothing that indicates what variant of loco it is suitable.

Who can tell?

Certainly not me!

Even comparing it with some other decoders that are supplied with loco and engine details - I can't be sure.

Anyway - this was the last of my MRC decoders that needed fitting and it will be the last MRC decoder that I buy.

So - any suggestions to the most suitable loco for the decoder?

Thanks

Edited by Scottish Modeller

Really impressed with the EMD Wowsound I got, but now I need EMD 645 Non-turbo, & Alco 244, neither of which are done by TCS :( .... hopefully only "yet"....

Soon, very soon, by ESU, here's a message about that by Matt from ESU LCC (USA) on their facebook page.  https://www.facebook.com/pages/ESU-LLC-LokSound/147086981998736?fref=ts#

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Well - I have a response from MRC.....

Model # : 0001633

Item Condition : Brand New factory sealed w/Warranty

MRC HO EMD MODERN SWITCHER SOUND DECODER

FEATURES: A highly advanced DCC locomotive sound decoder with authentic
diesel sound, and 19 accessory functions allowing more sound
control than ever!
Pre-soldered 28mm round speaker and NMRA 8 pin plug.
Synchronized diesel prime mover with randomly associated locomotive
sounds.
Manually select between 11 different horns and 7 bells.
1.5 amp capacity.
Programmable for either 2-digit or 4 digit addresses.
Programmable individual sound volumes.
Programmable acceleration rate and deceleration rate.
Programmable start voltage and top voltage.
Programmable 14, 28, 128 speed steps.
Directional lighting (FO) at 0.2 amp rate.
Selectable factory default speed curve.
Programmable "Rule 17" directional lighting.
Programmable for either ditch lights, mars light, or strobe light.
Supports advanced consisting (CV19, CV21).
Supports programming on the main (OPS mode).
Compatible with NMRA DCC standards.
Complies with the part 15 of FCC.
Detailed installation instructions.

Yes - that is it!

Anyway - I've installed it into an EMD engined loco and it will do for now.

Once I can afford a specific decoder for this loco the MRC one will get installed in one of my British EMU's with the diesel sound turned off via DecoderPro.

Thanks

Evening all,

I've just bought a new ES44AC in Union Pacific from Athearn Genesis which didn't have sound and have been running it for about 2 weeks and now I really want to add sound to it. What options do I go for as I think I made the mistake in not buying the ES44AC with sound. I don't mind buying from the states and importing over but if I can buy from over here in the UK then that will be a lot better.

Thanks

Mathew

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

I've just bought a new ES44AC in Union Pacific from Athearn Genesis which didn't have sound and have been running it for about 2 weeks and now I really want to add sound to it. What options do I go for as I think I made the mistake in not buying the ES44AC with sound. I don't mind buying from the states and importing over but if I can buy from over here in the UK then that will be a lot better.

Thanks

Mathew

Hi Matthew,

The decoder you buy will depend on several things....

1 - Your knowledge of what the real thing sounds like and your aspirations towards fidelity

2 - The price you are willing to pay

3 - Availability in UK or from the US

YouTube is a good place to start as you will find your loco with a variety of sound decoders available to view and listen to.

For me - having gone this route already - it would be the Soundtraxx decoder which can be seen here:-

http://www.soundtraxx.com/dsd/tsunami/1000gn.php

Other than that - it's up to you!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got one of these new Loksound L decoders today (£112 @ Coastal DCC, no connection/satisfied customer etc) & fitted it to my Atlas Trainman RS3, replacing a QSI decoder.

First impressions - superb sounds! Engine sound far better than the QSI; it now splutters just like a real Alco 244, 12-cyl block! Horn isn't quite as loud as the QSI, but this could just be CV settings at this point; I have to do that stuff tomorow. Not perfectly smooth from the off just yet, but sure it can be tweaked. As it is a 3Amp decoder I have wired the twin motors in parallel, as there are only the two usual motor connections on it, rather than two sets for two motors on the QSI.

I have also added a TCS KA2 Keep Alive, having been impressed by this item on my TCS Wowsound decoder. I intend to get a couple more, to fit to my Tsunami decoders.

Going by today's experience, this ESU type will be my decoder of choice for my Weaver GP38-2 currently on the workbench. :yes:

• Like 2

Good to hear F-unit! 

Regarding the performance, did you try the ESU autotune procedure? Provided you didn't make any adjustments to the function buttons (so F1 is still the bell) , the following will happen. Using your DCC system , select the loco ,check if fwd direction is selected, and go to program on the main (making sure you have a few feet of free track to run on)

Simply set the value of CV54 = 0.  Return to operations mode, and select function key F1.  The loco will take off on it own and travel a few feet.  When it comes to a stop, the bell will be ringing so select F1 again to turn it off.

Done, in 99% of the cases, your loco is fine tuned, if not a few small adjustments to the relevant motor control CV's will likely suffice.

Koos

Huh... if only it were that simple... :mad: Just had a very frustrating couple of hours trying to get the running right.

Autotune - nah, doesn't do it at all. I think the problem may be it's a twin motor "China Drive" loco. Had to turn the BEMF off - it makes a horrid noise, and that smoothed things out a bit, but for start voltage CV2 I'm up around value=88 or so, and still can't get it to start smoothly at all; it starts off with a jerk on about speed step 10 (in 28-steps) and although it can be wound back to crawl a bit jerkily at speed step 2 or so, but once stopped, won't move again until wound up to 10 again....

All very frustrating; more study of the manual needed and a few more CVs to switch off most likely!!

Everyone else gets their locos to crawl smoothly... why can't I..??? :(

Edit. forgot to say, wiring the motors in series helped a bit as well, but still not as good as my TCS Wowsound-fitted GP35 (also series-wired twin motors) or Nick Pallette's SD35 with a Loksound XL in it (probably parallel wired?)

I'm going wrong somewhere....

Edited by F-UnitMad

• RMweb Gold

I picked up an Econami sound decoder whilst at the NTS.

Its quite a bit smaller in width and thickness than a Tsunami harness one so wil fit the CF 7 rather better than the Digitrax decoder. and Soundbug that keeps failing.

Will let you know how I get on with it once its installed. Hope to have it done in time for the Freemo 2015 meeet in a few weeks time.

I've recently installed an Econami in a P2K GP9 for someone, it was able to crawl, which is a first for me using a Soundtraxx decoder, I never get Tsunami's as smooth as Loksound. I wonder if they made some changes to the design, or that I was just lucky.

Huh... if only it were that simple... :mad: Just had a very frustrating couple of hours trying to get the running right.

Autotune - nah, doesn't do it at all. I think the problem may be it's a twin motor "China Drive" loco. Had to turn the BEMF off - it makes a horrid noise, and that smoothed things out a bit, but for start voltage CV2 I'm up around value=88 or so, and still can't get it to start smoothly at all; it starts off with a jerk on about speed step 10 (in 28-steps) and although it can be wound back to crawl a bit jerkily at speed step 2 or so, but once stopped, won't move again until wound up to 10 again....

All very frustrating; more study of the manual needed and a few more CVs to switch off most likely!!

Everyone else gets their locos to crawl smoothly... why can't I..??? :(

Edit. forgot to say, wiring the motors in series helped a bit as well, but still not as good as my TCS Wowsound-fitted GP35 (also series-wired twin motors) or Nick Pallette's SD35 with a Loksound XL in it (probably parallel wired?)

I'm going wrong somewhere....

I don't know, I've never used a Loksound in a locomotive with more than 1 motor, and  am not familiar with the drives you mention.  Did it operate OK with the previous decoder? Has something broken? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've just installed a couple of TCS Wowsound EMD decoders in a Proto 2000 F7 A&B set.,,when I say I, eldavo installed the one in the A unit which encouraged me to do the B unit (thanks Dave). Very straight forward, all plug and socket stuff, a bit of the weights had to be trimmed off but as the thing has a die cast chassis it weighs a ton anyway so didn't really notice the slight loss in weight.

I'm very impressed with the sound, bass enhanced speakers were installed as well so it's very 'chuggy' with a lot of low end (EMD 567 Roots blown). The running on a not run in loco is quite impressive too, does a very good slow speed crawl. I like the Audio Programming, very intuitive when you get used to it. I bought the KA version of the decoders, amazes me that you can take the things off the track and the sound will continue for 10 seconds, the motor runs for a little longer.

A downside would appear to be that spookily I can program the A unit decoder with my Powercab, but the B unit decoder doesn't want to know,  whether I try POM or programming track. So I've decided to dig out the Sprog and Powerpax to see if that will work....if I can remember how to do it with DecoderPro.

edit...after advice from the very nice chap at Coastal DCC (highly recommended) I unplugged the keep alive unit from the decoder, it then programmed OK.

Edited by PhilH

Welcome to the world of WOW Phil. Indeed, very nice. Operating it in prototype mode is fun too, no movement unless you release the brakes, and then apply brakes if you want to stop in time, otherwise the pair will just keep on coasting to an eventual stand still (long past the point you wanted), or land 5 feet down on the floor...

Coastal DCC (Kevin D), highly recommended, for service AND pricing!

• RMweb Gold

I've been a busy boy over the last few days...after the confidence boost of the F7s I plucked up the courage to install a couple of Tsunamis that I've had kicking around for a couple of years now. One went into a Proto GP30 (only had an EMD 645 decoder, but I think it's close enough) the other in a Spectrum GP7 ( a steal from a German ebay shop, new for £35).

The installs were frustrating at times but ultimately rewarding. I have a milling machine so I milled down the weights to make the gubbins fit. Trouble was I'm used to working to thous as a model engineer so I didn't take enough off. The body was then e-v-e-r so slightly too tight a fit so everything had to be disassembled and started again...but it worked in the end. I also managed to shoehorn a Digitrax SH166 into a GE 44tonner, eldavo is going to reprogram it to the appropriate sound file from the Digitrax library.

The problem now is that both the Wowsounds and the Tsunamis sound so good that they make the QSI sound locos I have sound very artificial....I guess there's no pleasing some people.

Just a BL2, GP20, RS1 and a doodlebug to go....have to start digging in the money pit.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Must say I am very impressed with the TCS WowSound decoders. I have them installed in my O Scale US diesels and also a Baldwin steam loco. The peak of 2 amps current draw was the vital factor in my initial decision, but since owning and operating them the sound is very good, motor control excellent, instructions sheet clear and on top of all that the decoder tells you which sound it is demonstrating to you (!). The Stay Alive is great for continuity of running and I have not had any problems with day-long running at exhibitions unlike with the MRC decoder, which has since been removed.

• RMweb Gold

I have to be honest I was impressed with the wowsounds....until I ran them alongside a tsunami fitted loco (both EMD 567 non turbo). To my ears the sound in the tsunami is definitely better, but the actual running characteristics seem to be better with the wowsound.

So sound, definitely tsunami, running definitely TCS.

Decisions....

Edited by PhilH

I have to be honest I was impressed with the wowsounds....until I ran them alongside a tsunami fitted loco (both EMD 567 non turbo). To my ears the sound in the tsunami is definitely better, but the actual running characteristics seem to be better with the wowsound.

So sound, definitely tsunami, running definitely TCS.

Decisions....

What about the air horns? Tsunami have good engine sounds, & with a lot of tweaking can be got to crawl well, but to my ears the horns are pants compared to TCS Wow & ESU Loksound