Rosemount Tramway

RosiesBoss

Introduction – Rosemount Mk.1

Some time in 2001, my wife noticed an advertisement for a local “garage sale” that included some model trains. Unlike several others that we had attended, this one had a significant quantity of items from a deceased estate. Among them were two complete, unused H0 scale model tram sets, made by Rivarossi around 1961. They had paved track, overhead wire and supports and a powered tram with trailer. These vaguely resembled Sydney C class trams of the 1890s. The sets were priced at only A$25.00 each. Although initially reluctant to broaden my British 00 scale collection, I was persuaded by my wife to buy both sets.

post-17793-0-82287400-1382056803_thumb.jpg

During 2001 and 2002, I experimented with them and finally used both sets of track/overhead to build a small (5ft x 3ft) layout, initially decorated with spare buildings then in stock. The trams were rebuilt to look more like Sydney trams – one pair in Edwardian condition and the other as they could have looked in the 1930s, had they remained in passenger service.

Fellow model railway club members encouraged me to display the layout at our 2002 annual show, so I added a few more inexpensive kits (modified to resemble typical Australian examples), as well as an operating Faller chairoplane. This was to test whether there was any public interest. Here are some images of the layout as first shown:

post-17793-0-52200800-1382056875_thumb.jpg

post-17793-0-25894900-1382056931_thumb.jpg

The layout did work well, but the overhead wire – about 1mm dia – was far too coarse:

post-17793-0-61523000-1382057054_thumb.jpg

Some of the buildings were adapted from toys sold at a local supermarket, but did work well in the dioramas that came together:

post-17793-0-08441200-1382057103_thumb.jpg

Here are the C class trams in 1930s condition, passing a typical Aussie country pub:

post-17793-0-91450900-1382057132_thumb.jpg

And here is the other pair in 1900s colours passing shops adapted from US and British kits:

post-17793-0-75369600-1382057171_thumb.jpg

A couple of other 4-wheelers, adapted from Mehanotechnica models, were added to this collection and converted to overhead pickup. Their trailers were kitbashed to become California combination trams (see below). However, the Rivarossi system had some limitations:

• The trams collected power from the (overscale) overhead and earthed through both rails. This prevented use of other models wired for 2-rail operation.
  • The radius of the curves was about 6 inches, which was too sharp for any bogie tram
  • Points for this obsolete system were almost unavailable

Rosemount Mk.2

Overview & Features

Over the next 3 years, a finer system was designed, trialled, developed and finally built. It made use of the following components:

• Some Bowser (US) overhead stanchions
  • Span wire poles made from wooden or bamboo kitchen skewers
  • Span wires made from 24 SWG (0.4mm) tinned steel jewellery wire
  • Power wire made from 26 SWG (0.3mm) nickel silver wire sourced via eBay from the US, soldered to hangers bent from the span wires
  • Peco settrack for all curves (1st radius) and points
  • Paving made from black PVC sheet sold by garden suppliers for weed suppression
  • Granite chips used for unpaved tracks in the balloon loops and depot

Attention to detail in the installation of power wire was critical. It had to be at just the right height above the rails and never wander outside either left or right rail.

A couple of fine scale working trolley poles were bought through eBay from the US, as well as a few overhead wire point frogs. Many more trolley poles were fabricated from modellers’ brass. Some were fitted with small tension springs recovered from scrapped VCRs. Later ones used tiny modellers’ springs and closely resemble poles used on Sydney trams. Most of the 4-wheeled trams take power from the overhead and earth through the left rail. Bogie trams and the steam tram motor are set up for 2-rail operation. Both systems can be used simultaneously (except for the Rivarossi models).

The electrical system uses home-made pulse width modulation controllers – two for operating trams and four more for carnival rides.

The baseboard was constructed from 6mm plywood on pine perimeter frames. Two 6ft by 3ft modules are located together with dowels and held in place by case locks. Circuits are connected across the baseboard join using a computer printer extension cable plug/socket, with the cable cut in half and its ends splayed out to provide the wiring harness. The modules are supported on two pairs of trestles.

Scenery features are simple in principle: they aim to present a series of feasible dioramas that portray scenes that might be found in an Aussie country town. All shops have fully detailed interiors and lights. Street lights also operate. Some tramway features were based on the old NSW tram systems. Two balloon loops make the layout simple to operate, with no reversals needed (except to shunt into the shed).

Here are some images:

Balloon loop around tram depot – inspired by Hamilton & Fort Macquarie Depots

Shed façade inspired by Rozelle Depot

post-17793-0-50695400-1382057226_thumb.jpg

Balloon loop around a carnival in the park – inspired by parks at Coogee and La Perouse termini.

All four fairground rides were built from kits and operate continuously during exhibitions.

post-17793-0-74184900-1382057290_thumb.jpg

Commercial/industrial zone, with buildings made from a range of card, resin and plastic kits

post-17793-0-21011600-1382056707_thumb.jpg

Retail zone, with buildings made from a range of card, resin and plastic kits:

post-17793-0-25529700-1382057427_thumb.jpg

Bandstand in the park: largely scratchbuilt from plastic and wood components in my scrapbox.

post-17793-0-57588200-1382057478_thumb.jpg

Long view of the layout, looking from the carnival towards the tram depot:

post-17793-0-20569400-1382057510.jpg

White Horse Inn, with large “dancing horse” statue discovered by our chickens!

The tram signal box was inspired by many which used to be found around Sydney CBD.

post-17793-0-58509100-1382057523.jpg

Housing estate under construction. The display includes all of the builder’s equipment and shows his client arguing over some imperfect aspect.

post-17793-0-28879200-1382057833_thumb.jpg

Models and their origins

4-wheeled “California combination” trams – adapted from unpowered Mehanotechnica models. This one is inspired by Hawthorn Tramways Trust No.8. A similar model has been made to represent a Sydney D class. Both have home-made chassis and gearboxes. These models were built to operate on Rosemount Mk.1 and have since been upgraded to use the finer overhead wire system on Rosemount Mk.2. Similar trams operated in many other systems in Australia and New Zealand.

post-17793-0-54101700-1382057892_thumb.jpg

4-wheeled Brill trams – adapted from Athearn/Tyco models. This image features Kalgoorie No.2, with Melbourne U 208 and NMETL No.4.

post-17793-0-75263800-1382057969_thumb.jpg

8-wheeled bogie trams – adapted from Bachmann Brill trolleys. This image features Adelaide E1 106, touching an unmodified Bachmann model. Another model adapted from the Bachmann Brill is Perth (ex-Kalgoorlie) G 38.

post-17793-0-06426200-1382057379_thumb.jpg

Weico whitemetal kits. This image is of Sydney R1760, a factory-finished model. Another factory-made one is Sydney R1 2045. The collection also includes home-assembled Melbourne W2 370, powered by a bogie donated by a Bachmann PCC tram.

post-17793-0-24243400-1382058065_thumb.jpg

Iron Horse resin kit – Sydney J 674. Hand finished and powered by a Tenshodo WB26 spud.

post-17793-0-70860800-1382058104_thumb.jpg

Baldwin steam tram 91A and trailer 64B. The motor is a Japanese brass model, obtained around 1972. The trailer was scratchbuilt from brass and balsa. Similar combinations operated in NSW from 1870 to 1936. This pair represents those that operated in Broken Hill.

post-17793-0-07339700-1382058148_thumb.jpg

JEM resin kit. This model is powered by a “Black Beetle” bogie. It has been hand finished to portray Bendigo (ex-Port Adelaide) Birney tram No.302.

post-17793-0-20575000-1382058220_thumb.jpg

Keil Kraft plastic kit. This has been modified to portray Hobart No.45 and was motorised with a Tenshodo WB 33 spud. The home-made bow collector works well, provided the overhead wire is set correctly.

post-17793-0-11143500-1382058254_thumb.jpg

Kitbashed models. Sydney G 125 uses parts of a Bachmann bogie Brill tram, as well as some body parts from an unpowered Bachmann San Francisco cable car. Full details are described elsewhere http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77304-h0-scale-g-class-sydney-tram-construction/.

Sydney F 357 uses body parts from two other cable cars, windows from a Mehanotechnica 4-wheeler and is powered by a much-modified Bachmann “gandy dancer”

post-17793-0-63694200-1382058354_thumb.jpg

Conclusions

Construction of the layout, its electronics and the models was very enjoyable. Operation of the layout in several shows has always attracted interest. I found the research behind the construction of every model very satisfying and refreshing after many years focussing on British trains.

All model railways suffer from erratic operation if the track is dirty. Model trams share this issue also, with the added challenge of keeping the underside of the power wire absolutely clean.

I would recommend other experienced railway modellers consider a project like this, as it presents all of the usual modelling challenges, together with the extra complications of a fully-functional overhead wire system. Such a project will soon cure any feelings of staleness or boredom with the hobby!

The collection will be displayed at the St Lukes Railway Modellers’ open day at St Lukes Anglican Church, 157 Galston Road, Hornsby Heights, NSW, Australia. Opening times are:

Saturday 9th November 2013:      Exhibition                9am to 5pm

Sunday   10h November 2013:     Church Service       9.30am – 11am

Morning Tea:          11am

Exhibition                12noon – 4pm

• Like 12

G'day, all,

The Rivarossi trams do come up on eBay from time to time - usually for silly money. I've seen some with what looks like a bow collector, though mine came with trolley poles.Tracks seem to be less common. These trams will not run on any 2-rail system without a wheel change, as they earth through both rails - the wheels are not insulated from side to side. No problem on my layout, as it is wired for overhead pickup when required.

Once replaced the first (test) layout, I advertised and sold the now unwanted track, overhead system and boxes through eBay.

I'm happy with the performance of my current system.

Regards,

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

G'day, Amelia,

Thank you for your encouragement.

I'm currently recovering from a very busy weekend at my church/club where I helped run our open day. The tramway functioned perfectly and visitors showed a lot of interest in the tram collection. G125 is now well run-in!

When you're ready, please let us see some images of your models.

Regards,

Rob.

Amelia Grove is my 7 by 4 combined tramway and railway layout. I have a few years away from the hobby and this is my test bed and also gives me a chance to share a layout with my so. Like Dull Steamer's son he likes bendy trams and also single truck cars. The tramway runs inside the railway and crosses over the fuel merchant siding. A car siding runs behind the main station to store a car to change over with. I work on the basic principle that if I like it, I run it!. I am mainly interested in the Melbourne, LA , London and San Francisco systems. I was inspired by Victoria Street and also the Sydney Trams layout which was displayed a few years ago at some local exhibitons. Volunteering at the Sydney Tramway Museum also increased my interest. A fellow RM webber is assiting with the layout and will see some Japanese and other US cars visit the system. Eventually when I build my double car garage sized layout the tramway will expand but this is a good starting point for now

The track is down and I hope to do a fair bit more work during my upcoming holidays.

The fleet is mixed - some brass US cars run along side plastic and die cast cars. I have some Felthams to assemble to repesent London and Sunderland cars and an Edinburgh car to assemble along with a Melbourne W2 which was a present from the wife last year.

Here are a couple of images

A 25 year old Bachmann PCC which has been repowered with the newer Bachmann mech clanks over the crossing to the fuel merchant's

post-20834-0-11188800-1384162344.jpg

A Die Cast Cooee Melbourne W6 stands at the Elliott Road stop. The car is to be fitted with a pantograph instead of poles to reflect contemporary practice - the actual prototype car is now a restraunt tram in Melbourne - the shelter is an old Life Like US kit which I plan to detail up eventually

post-20834-0-51048000-1384162448.jpg

My first brass model - a 50 year old Pacific Electric Hollywood Car which awaits repowering and repainting

post-20834-0-19320900-1384162572.jpg

A view of the car sidings - a PCC is on Standby whilst a Boeing LRV from International Hobby Corp stands awaiting passengers outside Amelia Grove.

post-20834-0-21468600-1384162676.jpg

Hope the pics of interest and apologies if I have clogged up this thead as I am new to RM Web

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Rob - is there any chance of you posting some pics of your Sydney D car and a brief section on how you did the conversion. I would like to model this car as I have worked on the full sized example at Loftus and it remain's one of my favourite cars to drive

Many thanks

Ben

G'day, Ben,

My D conversion was a fairly early attempt and not as good as later efforts. It is more inspired by the real D class rather than being a fine scale model. Nevertheless, I'll try to take some new photos and put an account together tomorrow.

Meanwhile, here is an early image. Since then, a fully working trolley pole has been fabricated and fitted.

post-17793-0-70179800-1386239878_thumb.jpg

Regards, 

Rob

• Like 2

Rob, it may not be finescale, but it's recognisably a D car - I like it. My only other comment would be that by the time the green and cream livery was introduced, all the remaining Ds were service stock rather than passenger cars, but that's neither here nor there.

Here's a photo of my mate Ben driving our D class scrubber car 134s:

5576744700_f924c7121b_b.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you, Mark, for your kind comments. As promised, here is how D98 came about.

While still using the sharply curved Rivarossi tramway system, I looked around for extra vehicles to run with the Sydney C class 4-wheelers. Bachmann bogie Brills could not manage the curves. However, Mehanotechnica 4-wheeled tram/trailer combinations worked well and also had trolleys suitable for the coarse overhead wire. (These are sometimes seen re-branded as AHM models.) They were also readily available second hand in several liveries. I picked up a couple of non-running pairs from Sydney’s “Train Trader” at one of their “garage sales” and restored them to running at home in just a few minutes. Another pair came via eBay.

post-17793-0-95378900-1386289565_thumb.jpg

post-17793-0-30053400-1386289570_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, they looked nothing like anything that ran in Sydney – or any other Aussie system – even after repainting in Sydney colours and centring the trolley pole:

post-17793-0-87148000-1386289656_thumb.jpg

When I had a closer look at them, I realised that their overall proportions were similar to Sydney D class (California combination) 4-wheelers. However, the motor in the powered version is bulky and occupies most of the saloon. (It’s based upon a diesel loco power bogie.) Nevertheless, the roof outline was not a bad match for the Sydney D class.

I decided to modify the body of an unpowered (trailer) model to become a California combination – with a central enclosed saloon flanked by two open crossbench sections. It was to be inspired by Sydney’s D class, but not be a true scale model. This idea was consistent with the theme of the tramway layout: a freelance Aussie town using (mainly) historic equipment from many places. In this case the tram was to be a modern replica (as described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gomaco_Trolley_Company). Importantly, it had to have a fully functioning trolley pole taking power from the overhead wire.

The open sections have new floors and compartment walls made from polystyrene sheet, L-section brass footboards and bench seats adapted from Ratio 00 scale coach seats. The open sections also have lead ballast weights below the floors.

post-17793-0-16132900-1386289725_thumb.jpg

I made a new brass chassis from 0.5in brass channel, with a small open frame motor (similar to Hornby Type 7) and nylon gears (previously sold by Dick Smith electronics stores) together with 10mm dia H0 wheels.

The model takes power from the overhead wire, using a home-made working trolley pole and earths through the left rail. Initially, the trolleys were made from brass sheet and phosphor-bronze spring wire, but these were later replaced by finer ones made from modellers’ brass, incorporating springs (from scrapped VCRs) and hinges (made from Peco brass track pins). (Some of my later models, such as G125, make use of a pair of even smaller tension springs and are closer in appearance to Sydney trolley poles.)

post-17793-0-14919300-1386289707_thumb.jpg

The pole locates into a small length of brass tube glued into the roof and soldered to a lead connected to the motor.

post-17793-0-72674900-1386289720_thumb.jpg

The model does not pretend to be a fine-scale model of a Sydney D. (Its saloon is too large.) Rather, it came about as an experiment to see if a California combination model could be kitbashed from a Mehano toy. The experience led to the kitbashing of the better-looking Hawthorn Tramways Trust No.8, where a more compact motor/gearbox arrangement was achieved.

post-17793-0-87284000-1386290018_thumb.jpg

Both models have done a lot of work, both on the Rivarossi-tracked Rosemount Mk.1 and the Peco-tracked Rosemount Mk.2. Eight years on, they both still work well.

D98’s paintwork is now looking somewhat rough and is in need of sprucing up. Nevertheless, both 4-wheelers still look the part when in operation on my layout – trolley poles weaving to left and right, up and down and with occasional sparks. Simply magic!

post-17793-0-23917300-1386289777_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Rob

• Like 3

Hi Rob,

Many thanks for the pictures and information. This will be invaluable for my attempt at doing a D car. One thing I was considering was using the power bogie from a Bachman cable car as a power truck for the D I have converted a couple in the past with good results. I also used one to power a Brisbane FM car which I sadly no longer have.

Regards

Ben

G'day, Ben,

The cable car power bogie is certainly a smooth runner and should prove very useful. Another one to consider is the poewer bogie under the Bachmann "Underground Ernie" inspection trolley. I bought a couple of these for use in future projects and they run very smoothly and silently.

Regards,

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

G'day, Aaron,

Thank you for posting the link to Leo's video. It does present a good cross-section of my club's latest show and captures the child-friendly, relaxed atmosphere that we strive to achieve.

The modern trams shown at the beginning of the video are N scale models, which ran well throughout the show and were a good contrast to my H0 models of older designs. It was nice to see my new Sydney G class tram running so well.

Regards,

Rob

G'day Rob,

If I'm ever in the area one year I must make sure to check out the exhibition, looks like a lovely day out.

There was another video of his that showed your motorised Stirling single plus it's rake of coaches. If I recall correctly, it was on the layout that had the live steam Hornby locos.

If the modern Trams were N gauge, they must be either Kato or Tomica trams? Would you happen to have an R class tram at all in your extensive collection?

Regards,

Aaron

G'day, Aaron,

Thanks for your observations.

Yes, my Stirling Single and live steam locos do feature on Leo's videos of earlier exhibitions. The 2013 show had to be much smaller than usual, due to the loss of our church hall. Hence our large club layout remained in storage, which in turn meant we had nowhere to operate the live steamers. The 2014 show should be a much bigger event, as the new hall is progressing well and should be finished by June - in plenty of time for our show in November.

I do have a Sydney R class tram - a factory finished Weico example, fitted with a scale sprung trolley pole.

The N scale trams were shown by Ian Williamson, who had displayed them also at the large AMRA show in Liverpool (NSW) over the October 2013 long weekend. According to his program notes, they were made by Tomix and Tomy.

I hope to see you at our next show (if not before).

Regards,

Rob

• 2 months later...

G'day, aaron14xx,

I don't think so. Both the R and R1came from the collection of a late friend and fellow club member - sorely missed. I operate them from time to time in his honour.

They appear from time to time on Ebay, so just keep an eye open for them.

Regards,

Rob

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

G'day, all,

Rosemount Tramway will be one of the guest layouts at the North Shore Model Railway Association's annual exhibition at Forrestville (Sydney, Australia) over the weekend of 7-8 March 2015. (http://www.nsrma.com.au/exhibition.htm)

I hope to see some of my fellow tramway modellers there.

Regards,

Rob

• 4 years later...

G'day, all,

Rosemount Tramway will again be one of the guest layouts at the North Shore Model Railway Association's annual exhibition at Forrestville (Sydney, Australia) over the weekend of 7-8 March 2020. (https://www.nsrma.com.au/exhibition-2020/)

I hope to see some of my fellow tramway modellers there.

Regards,

Rob

• Like 1