Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001

87023Velocity

• 87023Velocity changed the title to Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 - Signals

Thanks for all the comments regards back dating, I may think about it, honest! ......:jester:

Back to some actual modelling tonight. The second signal gantry which needed scratch building has been progressed a bit further. The gantry has been cleaned and given a coat of Halfords grey primer.

The first of the signal heads for this gantry has been wired up and tested. The signal identification numbers are WN181 & WN182.

Hopefully get the other head wired up tomorrow.

Cheers

Simon

20201005_185126.jpg

20201005_185030.jpg

20201005_182146.jpg

• Like 16

23 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

I know signals were the point of the post (and the progress looks great), but I couldn't help noticing how good your 'original' DB class 90 looks out on the layout Simon. It's a beautiful model. 

All the best

Dave

Thanks Dave, need to get it finished and running. Got the next 90 waiting in the wings to become an RFD one with the blue roof - need to order some more PH design detailing kits.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

The last set of signals on Dallam are almost complete. The gantry has been glued down and the signal heads wired up. Still some tidying up to do and little bits of detail to add. Cheers Simon

20201016_162828.jpg

What did you use for the feather? I am planning to use tiny smd leds for mine but wondered if you had an easier way?

7 minutes ago, RBE said:

What did you use for the feather? I am planning to use tiny smd leds for mine but wondered if you had an easier way?

Hi Cav,

Its a CR signals feather, I am assuming it uses tiny smd leds, it is sealed so cannot check.

Cheers

Simon

• 87023Velocity changed the title to Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 - Shark

Back to some rolling stock modelling. Looking at what is currently sat on the work bench, I should have enough to keep me busy till spring 2021. 

Made a start on the N Gauge Society Shark which will be modelled as a ZUA to run between the Seacows. The basic kit has been built, the roof left loose for painting along with the shields on the ploughs. The chassis just needs a little bit of filler on the footsteps after cutting to reduce the wheel base. With regards livery, got a couple of options, these pictures are links from Flickr and not mine.

29/09/2002 - Didcot.

ZUA DB 993738 Toton 07112003

Here is the progress so far posed with some Dapol Dogfish.

Cheers

Simon

20201019_191709.jpg

20201019_191659.jpg

• Like 18

Made a start on some more wagons for Dallam. Here are 2 barrier wagons to go with my nuclear flasks, these being still used in 2001. These are Farish OAAs with the body removed and a flat floor fitted. Just ready for spraying now. The actual vehicles are modified OBAs but I had these spare although not strictly correct. 

20201020_211733.jpg

20201020_212146.jpg

• Like 12

• 87023Velocity changed the title to Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001
1 hour ago, cornish trains jez said:

Looking good Simon. Weren't RNA's used as barrier wagons too? I'm sure TPM did a kit for these once upon a time.

Keep up the good work and the photos coming!

Best regards and stay safe,

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy.

The RNAs I think stopped being used when DRS took control of the nuclear flask traffic, the RNAs would have belonged to Transrail etc then EWS. The OBAs had been purchased by BNFL and modified to carry skips I believe and then used by DRS until they stopped using barriers.

That being said, a couple of RNAs would be handy to have for some late 80's early 90's running with a coal sector 31 as seen below from Flickr. :sungum:

Class31_31312,31200_Winsford_27_July_1990

• Like 6

2 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

Thanks Jeremy.

The RNAs I think stopped being used when DRS took control of the nuclear flask traffic, the RNAs would have belonged to Transrail etc then EWS. The OBAs had been purchased by BNFL and modified to carry skips I believe and then used by DRS until they stopped using barriers.

That being said, a couple of RNAs would be handy to have for some late 80's early 90's running with a coal sector 31 as seen below from Flickr. :sungum:

Class31_31312,31200_Winsford_27_July_1990

Always liked the 31's in sub sector livery.

Looking forward to seeing the back dated layout then!

14 minutes ago, cornish trains jez said:

Always liked the 31's in sub sector livery.

Looking forward to seeing the back dated layout then!

Totally agree about the sub sector 31s. Some more pics from Flickr.

One off from Tinsley

This was a unique livery as far as I recall, very pleased to catch this here....pre-Gen days...and I'd love to know what the first wagon is!!....7T31 31160 Wigan WRD-Arpley Winwick 26-10-1989

This working brought a pair of Immingham 31s to the WCML roughly 2 to 3 times a week. At the rear is a brake van which was used to propel back to Springs Branch down the WCML for around 2 miles.

Golborne, Edge Green, 31202 & 31288 6M33 TFO (Lindsey Oil - Kelbits) 19/02/91.

• Like 8

23 hours ago, cornish trains jez said:

Inspiration for another weathering project there Cav! :wink_mini:

Yes I am planning on getting hold of a new farish petroleum one when it lands in the next few months.

• Like 2

Following on from the barrier vehicles, I decided I should attempt to finish the 2 DRS class 20s. Although I had them sprayed and varnished for Dallams first exhibition at Wigan in 2016, the glazing and pipework had not been added, nor had any weathering been undertaken.

So the characteristic cab side windows and windscreens have now been fitted along with air pipes and a dummy screw coupling. I was thinking I may sell these on and buy a later model but have decided to stick with these.

20201023_170623.jpg

20201023_170643.jpg

20201023_170845.jpg

• Like 13