Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001

87023Velocity

Hi,

I have decided to start a layout in n gauge which will represent a stretch of WCML north of Warrington Bank Quay at Dallam. The area I will be modelling will be between the 2 road over bridges, Folly Lane and Bewsey road for those of you local to Warrington. The period modelled will be 2001, so plenty of variety of stock which can be modelled, Virgin West Coast and XC,EWS,DRS, Freightliner, First North Western, Parcel trains to the Railhub, Serco test trains etc

Here are a few pictures of progress so far (The Arriva XC TGS was picked up cheap for clearance checks):

post-6834-0-90354100-1382093686_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-23590600-1382093726_thumb.jpg

Managed to make a start on Bewsey Road overbridge. Track will be Peco code 55. I am not sure if the rail served warehouse was being used by rail in 2001, the sidings outside certainly were, VGA's and Bogie Ferryvans present in this video clip on Youtube around 1:00 min in

Will need plenty of James Irlam road trailers.

The dimensions will be approx 14ft x3ft. Over the coming weeks work will focus on fitting the pattern makers dowels and ensuring the baseboards are nice and flat where the baseboards meet. Also lay cork tiles prior to track laying.

In between this, I need to sort out my 4mm stock that has been lying in the loft, some of the items I forgot I had bought or even the reason I bought them. Also need to finish my 4mm crane and now build a smalller version for this layout!

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 12

Woo hoo another cool N gauge layout.

Love the look of your plan. Look forward to your updates

Phil

Thanks Phil, will be a bit for me to learn as although I have been involved in building several 4mm layouts, this is the first in n gauge for me. Fortunately Dallam itself is roughly 25mins in the car from home so need to make a few visits. Luckly not much has changed since 2001 railway wise I think?.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity

Sounds very interesting i used to go spotting on warrington bank quay station now and again in the early 90's always enjoyed the trips out that way from there we would then go to wigan spring branch depot for a few hours .Looks like a big layout you'll have there can't wait for updates Watching with interest

Brian

Have you decided on what catenary to use?

Im using the Dapol masts on mine and cant fault them.

But if you fancy building your own, try the kits from N brass.

Ive got one to build. but my soldering is not up to scratch yet to tackle it.

Have you decided on what catenary to use?

Im using the Dapol masts on mine and cant fault them.

But if you fancy building your own, try the kits from N brass.

Ive got one to build. but my soldering is not up to scratch yet to tackle it.

Hi Phil, I am currently thinking of scratchbuilding the OHLE, though I don't think I will be fitting the contact wires.

Cheers

Simon

Have you seen this website ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95062750@N04

Plenty of photos of the area you are modelling, though steam / early diesel area, the photos of the bridges etc may be of use.

Brit15

Hi Brit15, I had seen some pictures on flickr but not all those, they will be very useful for the bridges etc.

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

I know someone who photographed at Warrington in 2001 Simon  :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Hi Brit15, I had seen some pictures on flickr but not all those, they will be very useful for the bridges etc.

Cheers

Simon

Simon - remember a lot of the structures were rebuilt when the OHLE came along.

Hi all,

Thanks everyone for all the kind comments and assistance. I have been looking into the radius of the curves required at each end of the layout. The Dallam yard end will require 5 lines to curve round to the fiddle yard at the rear. My concern is with the inside line which feeds Dallam yard, the radii I have planned will be 12 inches(it may be possible to increase to 13 once actual track laying commences), I have tried an SPA and OBA coupled together and they seem ok. See picture below. I will be using Farish VGA's in the yard and hoping that they will be ok being propelled around this curve into Dallam yard, knowing that I believe they don't like 9 inch curves, so hopefully 12 should be ok!

post-6834-0-57327600-1382438875_thumb.jpg

Currently looking at stock and just purchased a Dapol Res Class 86 86425, which should be on its way to me shortly, looking through Flickr, this loco appeared to have been used by Virgin on several occasions, however my intention is to use it for parcels traffic only. Next on my list will be a Farish Virgin 87 for one of the 2 push pull rakes. I am going to try and avoid buying too many locos (famous last words).

Cheers

Simon

ive got a virgin farish 87 for sale if youd be interested.  new boxed unused. 87019.

the funds will go towards a blue one when farish release them.

im planning on doing something similar to dallam but further up the WCML - i am thinking of a 2mm finescale version of Carstairs in br blue days.

a farish class 85 wouldnt do us any harm either :)

Edited by ThaneofFife

Hi,

Over the past few days I have been working on Bewsey Road overbridge. This has been constructed using a mixture of foamboard and card for the main structure. Plasticard has been used for the plate girder sections and also some of the caping stones. Metcalfe brick sheet has been used for the brickwork.

Picture of progress so far,

post-6834-0-42702600-1382562280_thumb.jpg

Still quite a bit to do, the brickwork needs toning down and weathering. The road and pavements also need adding.

ThaneofFife, layout plan sounds good, thanks for heads up on 87 but managed to sort it not long after post.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hello Simon,

That bridge looks very good.  If you're planning on doing a lot of structural scratchbuilding with brick papers then you may find it worth looking at the scalescenes versions.  You download them for a one-off payment, then print out as much as you want.  I have used them and been very happy with their appearance.  The good thing is there are numerous different finishes.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Simon  I live in Warrington so if you need any photos taking just drop me a line.

I also model n gauge. I am planning to do dallam shed in n with a mate. The bridge you have made

Looks good .but I think it should in blue engineers brick

Good luck with the build.    :blind:

• Like 1

Thanks for comments and tips guys.

Ben, think I will look at the Scalescenes sheets for future work and possibly overlaying this bridge see below.

Paul, thanks for the offer, I live in Northwich so not too far away for a field trip!Your right regards the brick type, I started with one in the photo as I had it to hand, my thinking was to weather it with a mix of powders but it may be easier to print off some sheets as Ben suggested and simply overlay the existing brickwork.

Cheers

Simon

OK simon no worries.  i was hoping to get £60 for the loco but just seen Hattons have them £44  :0  shock!

will be watching this layout develop.........especially the catenary masts. 

is it freight only or will you have passenger services passing nearby?

OK simon no worries.  i was hoping to get £60 for the loco but just seen Hattons have them £44  :0  shock!

will be watching this layout develop.........especially the catenary masts. 

is it freight only or will you have passenger services passing nearby?

Aswell as the freight to the sidings, there will be the usual for 2001 MK2/3 Pushpull sets, Mk2 Cross Country, HST, parcels traffic to and from the nearby Parcels depot(off scene), freightliners etc passing on the mainline.

Not looked at the OHLE yet, but suspect I will scratchbuild the structures that will be required.

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Not looked at the OHLE yet, but suspect I will scratchbuild the structures that will be required.

A certain "Mikey" who draws the plans for the exhibitions may be able to help on that front.

I'll start some topics over the weekend with 2003 formations.