Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001

87023Velocity

Nice work with the Salmon Simon. I must finish mine at some point. Good tip with the N brass buffers, something I may well look into. Some salmon have been fitted with square oval (like on a 60/66) buffers so this can add some variety too.

Jo

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 15/09/2019 at 20:58, 87023Velocity said:

Had a break from signalling and made a start on some items of stock with the intention of completing them ready for Blackburn in November.

Both 142's have been stripped using IPA, these are both going into GMPTE with FNW logos.

Also made a start on fading and weathering the HEAs. The Railfreight logos were first removed using a cotton bud soaked in enamel thinners. A coat of thinned white enamel has then been washed over the railfreight red then wiped off. The middle HEA has only had the Railfreight sign removed and not been faded yet, this one may get faded to pink! Additional dirt grime etc needs adding along with axleboxes and brake levers picking out.

Hi Simon,

Hope you had a good Christmas - Warrington seems to have been very quiet lately :) A quick question if I may, how easy/difficult did you find getting the 142 bodies off and the windows out / back in again? I am thinking of acquiring a couple to respray into GMPTE orange livery.  So any advice, comments, thoughts would be welcome.

Rich

• Like 1

On 17/01/2020 at 22:04, MarshLane said:

Hi Simon,

Hope you had a good Christmas - Warrington seems to have been very quiet lately :) A quick question if I may, how easy/difficult did you find getting the 142 bodies off and the windows out / back in again? I am thinking of acquiring a couple to respray into GMPTE orange livery.  So any advice, comments, thoughts would be welcome.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Yes been a great Christmas and hopefully the same for yourself. 

The 142 comes apart sort of ok, the main issue I find with some of the Dapol locos is when removing the cab interiors, the marker/head light bars are prone to damage. The main comment would be just to take your time, I did mark one of the glazing units but fortunately from normal viewing distance you cannot tell. 

I removed the roof pods and NRN ariel fittings to ensure no traces of IPA got trapped.

I am hopefully going to get an orange 142 done too, got the orange paint, just need to pick another 142 up and get the transfers, a blue one to go with it would be good aswell.

Cheers

Simon

• Thanks 1

With the Christmas work break  thought I would have got some modelling time in but that did not seem to happen. 

However just before Christmas I received 3 baseboard kits from Tim Horn, these are to provide additional storage capacity in the fiddleyard.

Just over a week ago I finally got chance to assemble them, which does not take long. The current fiddleyard has 10 roads, the plan is to reduce this to 8 which will allow for a bit more space between the tracks to aid setting up at a show. The new boards will also have 8 roads with adequate spacing, so in effect the number of roads will increase to 16, these will also be split in half, so 2 trains per road.

Progress so far, just need to pick some cork up, then track laying can commence.

Cheers

Simon

20200111_154202.jpg

20200115_213757.jpg

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

Using the layout legs (which are too wide)from Strathmuir, I have been able to set up the new fiddleyard boards this afternoon to get a feel for the new set up.

So work to do is, legs to support the boards, build the sections to join the existing layout to the new fiddle yard boards, lay track, wire up........ only 8 months till Wigan. 

Cheers

Simon

20200124_150713.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Looks good Simon.  That will keep you occupied for a bit, but the difference it will make to operating the layout is obvious at this stage.

Im thinking of Tim Horn's baseboards for next little 'side' project.  Did they come with the metal side clips?  What are they like weight wise - I'm assuming the smaller boards are something like 4' x 1'?

Rich

• Like 1

Thanks Rich, its effectively created seperate up and down fiddleyards which also helps with operation.

The Tim Horn boards are brilliant, just wood glue and screws to assemble, go together really well.

The metal side clips are not supplied with the baseboard kits, they come with M6 nut and bolts to use alongside the metal dowels. I got the clips from ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHROME-TOGGLE-CATCH-95mm-Case-Toy-Tool-Box-Lid-Storage-Metal-Clasp-Clip-Quality/191820634860?hash=item2ca9669aec:g:LRgAAOSw97peHcU8

Weight wise, pretty light and very rigid. I have used two 3ftx1ft and one 4ftx1ft. The 4ft is in the middle.

Cheers

Simon

• Thanks 1

With everyone out this evening, it gave me a good opportunity to cut the tops for the 2 joining pieces which will link the layout to the new boards. 

20200124_193858.jpg

20200124_193813.jpg

These link boards will be connected using pattern makers dowels and bolts between the layout and case clips and dowels to the fiddleyard.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 10

• 4 weeks later...

Work on the fiddleyard extension continues, the first of the 2 connecting pieces has been matched up to the fiddleyard. It is connected using pattern makers dowels for alignment and 8mm bolts used for holding in position.

The track has also been lifted in preparation for the new track layout. 

The 142 is effectively on the down fast, the mk3's on the down slow.

The 66 and wagons are where a couple of kick back sidings will be laid for short trip workings etc.

Cheers

Simon

20200216_203155.jpg

20200216_202247.jpg

• Like 15

Crickey Simon,

You've bitten off a large chunk- how long before the show? I tried kick backs once , truth is under show conditions they never got used and since then have always used loops. There's a couple on Shirebrook for loco storage but when we send a light loco round  to the hidden sidings the operator will  just whip it off and place on a train or on the siding,,, it's quicker. I have bemoaned at my operators for doing this but then in the heat of the situation, I have done the same.

Best wishes in your mammoth build Simon, I look forward to your progress.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1

Hi Duncan,

Fortunately the majority of the difficult woodwork has been completed. Just the wood to pick up from the Timber yard to make the legs, will get it all cut to length there, so it's just a case of glue and screw together, about an evenings work going off previous projects. Then track laying can commence on the new boards. 

The existing kick backs do get used at shows but you are right that the loops are prefered with the operators.

There are just over 7 months left till the show, however ideally all will be completed a full month or more to allow stock testing etc prior to the show.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Although not many updates and not being on Rmweb much work has still being happening with regards to the new fiddleyard. Last Friday the wood for legs to support the new boards was obtained. This was all cut to size at the timber yard leaving me the task of assembling.

The timber yard have done a good job cutting the legs spot on as all is level between old and new boards, this is important to stop any high points at baseboard joints which is a derailment risk area.

Now this is complete, the board linking the new boards to the layout can be fitted and aligned, once the dowels arrive. I did a quick alignment check by holding in place and all looks good so far!

Cheers

Simon

20200228_191753.jpg

20200228_192924_20200228203311398.jpg

20200228_193839.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Work now started to connect to the other end of the layout, the edging strip has been removed, just need to order some more pattern makers dowels as did not order enough, doh! 

Here is the progress so far and give an idea of how it will look, it should make the fiddleyard more user friendly (hopefully!) The latest board is balanced in position hence why it's not level.

Cheers

Simon

20200229_113848.jpg

20200229_150229.jpg

• Like 13

Decided to have a break from the fiddleyard extension and instead make a start on 5 C Rail PFA kits which had just arrived. This will take my rake up to 29 wagons, should have been 30 but I damaged one whilst building wagons 10 to 15, doh! 

All wagon frames built, wheels fitted, couplings fitted and containers built. All the detail left to add over the next few evenings.

Cheers

Simon

20200305_213539.jpg

• Like 17

Had a few hours spare this afternoon to allow the last board for the fiddleyard extension to be finished and bolted to the existing board. The connection between the new board and existing board is achieved using 25mm pattern makers dowels 8mm bolts and nuts. 

All has been checked for alignment and is ok. Next job will be to start planning the track layout.

Cheers

Simon

20200308_183536.jpg

20200308_183406.jpg

• Like 17

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to have a spare hour and run something properly for the first time since December. The 5 C-Rail PFAs were given a run with the other 24 wagons. Each of these 5 wagons had a M8 nut placed inside for weight, no reason for an M8 nut, they were to hand.

No derailments encountered and also took the opportunity to run the Revolution KFAs with the C-Rail pocket wagons and Dapol Megafrets.

Cheers

Simon

20200316_193302.jpg

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

That video is an example of what’s good with your layout.  There aren’t many that can show fast train passing slow in same direction.  Needs a bit of skill in starting both I suspect.

Paul.

• Thanks 1

Another kit built wagon has nearly been completed this evening, received a N gauge society YLA/YMA/YQA kit this morning, so after a few hours here is the progress so far. 

I have used brass buffers from N Brass. Livery will be faded and worn yellow. Some did get repainted into EWS livery so a few more may appear on Dallam.

Cheers

Simon

20200318_225806.jpg

20200318_225825.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

On 19/03/2020 at 13:13, cornish trains jez said:

Hi Simon,

I really like the faded and weathered paintwork on your shunter. Excellent work!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks mate, it should look complete once I add some pipes to the buffer beams.

Cheers

Simon

Been able to get quite a few hours work done on some of my projects over the past few days. 

The track panels to go on the YSA Salmon wagons have been painted and weathered.

The Salmon and Mullet wagon have had the yellow and black airbrushed on, still the deck etc to do.

Also the 5 C Rail PFA containers have been sprayed in Cawoods Yellow.

Cheers

Simon

20200320_124915.jpg

20200320_192053.jpg

20200320_192142.jpg

20200320_192847.jpg

• Like 16

33 minutes ago, Duncan. said:

Nice work Simon, is this a sort of therapy for the 'real' task of getting the fiddle yard sorted out!:D

Keep safe

Cheers

Duncan

You have rumbled me Duncan!

The work on the fiddleyard will resume next week, hopefully there will be somewhere still open doing mail order for track. 

Cheers

Simon

• Funny 1