Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

A certain "Mikey" who draws the plans for the exhibitions may be able to help on that front.

I'll start some topics over the weekend with 2003 formations.

Hi Dave,

Thanks, will contact "Mikey" - good idea btw,  and see if he can assist.

Cheers

Simon

Evening all,

I looked at the bridge again and agreed with Paul, the colour would not be right even with weathering. The daft thing is I have driven over that bridge quite a few times.So I took a look at the Scalescenes website as Ben suggested and downloaded a couple of sheets of dark blue brick, TX27. I feel happier now with the brick colour and hopefully some careful weathering should have it looking suitable.

Picture below with the new brick. The class 86 I ordered from Kernow arrived today.

post-6834-0-77158500-1382646236_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 11

Hi all,

Got somemore work done tonight on the bridge. The road and pavement have not been glued down yet. I am thinking of weathering this away from the bridge before fixing down. I am thinking of moving onto Folly Lane bridge now and then weather both structures together.

post-6834-0-94367400-1382736969_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 9

Sounds promising! I live about 15 minutes (getting across town is mayhem at the best of times!!) from Dallam and I am often in Warrington BQ. Looking forward to the progress and well worth a follow

Hello Simon,

Looking good so far,good to see // Another // part of Warrington being modelled. The bridge does look superb. I've just realised that when you get to the backscenes you will have to photoshop out the Halliwell Jones stadium as its about a year or so too late for 2001, or am I looking the wrong way round?

Keep up the good work,

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Edit, when I remembered Glazebrook, also part of Warrington in N

Edited by Wild Boar Fell

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the comments, going to start on Folly Lane bridge hopefully tomorrow. I think time spent on bridge may be between 15-20 hours I think.

Regards the backscene, I need to look into how to undertake it and the various options.

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon,

checking my photos in preparation for uploading some I've come across an interesting event.

On 21 December 2000 a fire in Littons Mill closed the low level line from then until March 2001 - all coals for Fiddlers were diverted via Edge Hill and then the low level to Fiddlers where a draw back engine pulled the train around the unloading loop. An interesting time.

Hi all,

Bit more progress on Dallam over the past week. So far managed to fit the pattern makers dowels and case clips. Also sanded the baseboard tops at the joins to make sure they are flat for the track joins. Also been working on Folly Lane bridge. As part of this, I have included the start of Dallam Lane with its junction with Folly Lane. Still quite a bit to do on this yet.

post-6834-0-74293000-1383255408_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 5

I used to stand on that corner and photograph the Deanside, I'll get to those photos eventually.

Put a red Vectra SRi on Dallam Lane and a spotter on the corner and I'll be famous.

Hi Dave,

It can be arranged if can find a suitable vehicle. Also need a silver Peugeot 306 DTurbo (mine) and a silver Landrover Discovery (Chris). Along with some Warrington buses.

Was the giant B-movie spider there in those days too?

Could not resist adding the spider last night being Halloween.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 2

Very nice looking bridges what did you use for the shells plastic card or thick card ?

Cant wait to see the this progress

Brian

Very nice looking bridges what did you use for the shells plastic card or thick card ?

Cant wait to see the this progress

Brian

Hi Brian, the main inner structure is made from 5mm foamboard. 1mm thick card has then been used to form the outer walls. I have used plasticard for the plate/girder sections.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity

Evening all,

Work on Folly Lane bridge continues, still quite a bit to do. Once this is at a similar stage as Bewsey Road bridge,l will probably start on the warehouse structure.

post-6834-0-71221900-1383775236_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 5

Hi,

Positioned Folly Lane bridge on the baseboard to get an idea how it will look. The 3 tracks at the back are Dallam sidings. The 4 track mainline will be concrete not wooden sleepers (need to order that). This part of the track formation should have a degree of super elevation (not sure if to model it or not). 86425 is on the Up slow I think and the Fliner 86 on the down fast.

post-6834-0-80274700-1383943662_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 11

Hi,

Thanks for the comments guys. Been thinking of making a small test plank as a few others on here have done for ballasting purposes, try to get ballast shoulder right also for painting the rails and weathering the track. Once happy use the same technique on the layout itself.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

Nice to see a model being made of the location. Check out my blog, which is loosely based on Dallam sidings.

Look forward to seeing how the layout progresses.

Regards,

Robert.

Hi Robert, good blog. I think Dallam lends itself quite well as location for a small shunting layout. I have had thoughts of doing something similar to yourself but in 4mm.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

Hi Robert, good blog. I think Dallam lends itself quite well as location for a small shunting layout. I have had thoughts of doing something similar to yourself but in 4mm.

Cheers

Simon

There are not too many layouts that have a run-round and 3 sidings but only use 2 points!!!

There are not too many layouts that have a run-round and 3 sidings but only use 2 points!!!

Thats what I liked about Dallam, quite a simple layout but plenty of shunting possible. Been reading your thoughts on DG couplings, think this is the type I will use but only for the stock which will be shunted in the sidings (approx 12 vehicles), everything else passing on the mainline will stay in formation.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity