Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic work on the gantry Simon. I think from the photo it looks spot on in Halfords grey. I would advise against rail grey, I feel this would make it to light. However, with a little weathering, the Halfords grey will be spot on. Just my thoughts on this.  

I have built up a few N Brass portals in the past, and always used Halfords grey and weathered lightly.  

Cheers

Anthony

Cheers Anthony, yes think may stick with the Halfords grey as you suggest and then weather. Need to look at ordering the signal heads to go with this and the other gantry.

A few days off and with alot of the Xmas jobs completed I managed to make a start back on the second signal gantry.

The basic gantry frame had been started quite awhile ago. This afternoon the basic framework has been made from brass rod and strip for mounting the signals.

I have left the rod over length until happ that with height etc.

Place in position.

post-6834-0-38241000-1545319084_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did anything ever come of the Parcelforce trailers piggybacking on the Eurospines? I quite fancy having a go at those but struggling to find plans of the trailer or the wagon

Although the piggyback never took off, I think a few rakes have been used for carrying standard containers recently. Would like to try and knock a rake together myself including some Parcelforce trailers

Cheers

Simon

Evening,

Made a start on reworking some more Farish class 90's tonight. Both are the early Farish versions as 90022 in RfD livery. So far both bodies have been stripped of glazing and roof detailing.

They have had a 2 hour soak in IPA which has not seemed to remove much paint yet. Will leave overnight.

post-6834-0-78020400-1548104002_thumb.jpg

With regards to what they will become, one is certainly going to be 90129 in its DB livery from 1992. The other may become a Freightliner grey loco, I was considering 90224 in GNER blue but lack of paint and transfers etc. Both locos will be fitted with the Pete Harvey replacement lights and grill.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to pick up some Dapol Cargowaggons, I had been checking ebay etc for a while but not had any luck. Finally spotted 3 on the pre-owned section at Hattons. So braving the cold in the garage, I gave them a run.

1st in use behind 08784 on the Dallam Arpley trip as 156464 heads North.

And then with Revolution's Cargo Twins behind 56070 on 6E33 Knowsley to Immingham as a strengthened 150 & 156 Llandudno to Manchester heads North.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hello Simon, 

Not checked by on this layout for a long while, wow what amazing progress you've made! This is a superb replica of the real Dallam Sidings being a Warrington native I know this area very well! You've done a superb job. Shows that N gauge can achieve highly detailed results ill be following with much interest. 

Lewis 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Lewis for your great comments. Just looking forward to getting the signals sorted. 

TINGS 2019 - Dallam will not be at TINGS 2019, as I had put in several of my posts 'all being well it will be there'. Just a little disappointed that it was one of my operators who informed me and not the organisers!

Back to the layout and 2 47's have gone in for stripping ready for respraying alongside the 2 90's.

Cheers

Simon

• Friendly/supportive 2

Had a look at the layout earlier and decided I may make some changes, 

1st add some additional fiddleyard boards (fitted along the back of the lighting poles), the roads are very close together which makes handling stock tricky. By adding extra roads, a few of the existing ones can be removed and the remaining spaced out better.

The 2nd is the warehouse, although don't think used in 2001, it would some extra interest to shunt vans in and out of the warehouse. Attached some pics showing the fiddleyard as is and also vans posed being shunted into the warehouse. Just deciding if to make the roller shutter door operational on the warehouse.

Cheers

Simon

IMG_20190204_172930578.jpg

IMG_20190204_174347999.jpg

IMG_20190204_174621644.jpg

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon,

Sounds a logical move.  Could you perhaps add some extra roads beyond the lighting poles to route trains into that you need to swap locos/change etc, and leave the original roads as they are?  Would save you some track/pointwork changes and give you space for more flexibility in the number of trains you can run?

Love what you've achieved with this layout :) One of my 'go to' thread as soon as I see there is a post on it, even tho I am O gauge and not really N.

Rich

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Simon,

Sounds a logical move.  Could you perhaps add some extra roads beyond the lighting poles to route trains into that you need to swap locos/change etc, and leave the original roads as they are?  Would save you some track/pointwork changes and give you space for more flexibility in the number of trains you can run?

Love what you've achieved with this layout :) One of my 'go to' thread as soon as I see there is a post on it, even tho I am O gauge and not really N.

Rich

Hi Rich, thanks for your comments. I have done some O gauge and still have a 56 'in build' (Heljan's will be out before I finish mine). Here are 2 Electrics I did for friends (over 10 years ago!), along with the unfinished MMP 56. The 86 is 86101 with class 87 bogies and 87101 with its different roof arrangement. I enjoyed doing the 86 and 87 as you did not see many built up although they were tricky (I may do another when I get the chance for myself).

Cheers

Simon

DSCN4378.JPG

DSCN4404.JPG

SAM_0419.JPG

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Superb ... won't those Cawoods containers look a little small next to the 56 tho?  Also a little concerned, with all that brass, about the driver being electrocuted when running past Dallam Sidings, I have a sneaky suspicion the overheads are a little low hehe!

Not wishing to thread hijack at all, but what's your game plan for the 56?  Are you planning on upgrading Dallam Sidings????? :P

Rich

Hi Rich,

No plan for the 56 as yet, still cannot decide a livery, was going to do 56093 in Large Logo blue but then thinking Trainload Coal. Once I have got Dallam a bit more sorted, I may try and get focused and finish it off. No layout planned for it though, may just make a photo plank.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, 87023Velocity said:

Hi Rich,

No plan for the 56 as yet, still cannot decide a livery, was going to do 56093 in Large Logo blue but then thinking Trainload Coal. Once I have got Dallam a bit more sorted, I may try and get focused and finish it off. No layout planned for it though, may just make a photo plank.

Cheers

Simon

Needs a couple of the recently released Dapol HAAs behind it to finish off ... then maybe a couple of points to allow the loco to run round them ... course if you had a siding or two you could shunt one of them out.  Hmm, might need to get another couple for that tho, hang on, no a Dapol 08 could be used to shunt the naughty HAA out of the set of 12 once the 56 had arrived with them.   If the 56 had to propel on departure a Dapol 20t brake van could be suitably coloured to go on the end of the set .... and .. oh I think you've got a layout now!

yea ok, hat, coat, mobile phone, door ... I'm gone! :P

Hehe! Sorry I shouldn't be trying to stop you progressing Warrington Dallam hehe

Rich

8 hours ago, cornish trains jez said:

Hi Simon,

I like the idea of wagons being shunted in and out of the warehouse which will add some additional interest.

You can never have too many fiddle yard roads!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Think will definitely make the warehouse useable for shunting. With regards the fiddleyard, it was a last minute 'I have a show in 6 weeks type setup' which with the number of rakes I had at the time, worked fine for its first show at Wigan and even Stafford, however as more stock has been purchased and operationally there were a couple of limitations, I think it would be wise, I would like to run a car transporter train as now seen Revolutions proposed wagons.

Cheers

Simon

IMG_20190205_141756441.jpg

Edited by 87023Velocity
Picture added
  • Like 4

Bit the bullet and removed the door from the warehouse which just left the obvious clearance checks to do. The rails in the hardstand are still painted over and will require quite a bit of cleaning. The good thing is I still wired all this area 'just in case'.

I think I laid the track inside to accept at least 6 bogie cargowaggons but with no access from the rear I stuck to propelling just 3 in. 

Cheers

Simon

• Like 5

Following on from the previous post, the track into the warehouse has been cleaned of excess paint and plaster, the exposed plaster either side of the track seen in the video will be weathered to match the rest of the concrete.

Just need to clear the other siding now.

Cheers

Simon

IMG_20190206_154059163.jpg

IMG_20190206_154036940.jpg

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

Hi Simon,

The layout is looking good. It is one of my favourites as it is based on a real location and that for me is what only N gauge ( I personally prefer 'N Scale') can do in a reasonably sized space and is why I model in N scale. I'm looking forward to further developments, and sorry for my limited posts, I'm just too busy with my own projects!

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1

On 06/02/2019 at 20:28, Duncan. said:

Hi Simon,

The layout is looking good. It is one of my favourites as it is based on a real location and that for me is what only N gauge ( I personally prefer 'N Scale') can do in a reasonably sized space and is why I model in N scale. I'm looking forward to further developments, and sorry for my limited posts, I'm just too busy with my own projects!

Cheers

Duncan

Thanks Duncan and no problem.  Yes you are right about the benefits on N scale and real locations.

Cheers

Simon

Got the outside siding in the warehouse area cleaned of paint and plaster which then allowed some testing, 37710 doing the honours.

Same move different location, after waiting for permission, 37710 slowly propels the morning trip working as the Coatbridge to Crewe passes.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

I remember this large building being built back in the late 80's / early 90's. It was intended to link with Europe via the tunnel. I never saw much rail activity there, and the site seems now vacant and up for sale / lease.

Are the sidings alongside still used ? - they were used for steel traffic last time I passed (several years ago),.

Brit15

The sidings before the warehouse were being used for unloading stone from Peak Forest up until towards the end of last year, not sure if anything has been unloaded since. The warehouse did have some van traffic such as cargowaggons but only for a few years from what I have seen (late 90's/very early 00's).

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Informative/Useful 1