Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001

87023Velocity

Hi,

Thanks for the comments and likes. I have also got a Farish Class 87 in Virgin livery to start aswell. Unfortunately, it looks like this may need quite a bit of work to try and bring it up to scratch. I notice the bogie centres are out, not sure how to tackle that yet.

post-6834-0-09550200-1391519004_thumb.jpg

Things to do so far will include, remove MW jumpers, fit new tdm fittings, new headlight, wire handrails, foot steps above buffers, replacement pantograph, buffer beam detail at one end, driver in cab,fire bottles on roof  (just noticed not fitted in 2001), etched nameplates and also try to adjust the bogie centres as mentioned above..... (and anything else I can think of/ missed!) Not fitting working lights.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 1

Hi,

Managed to do a bit more to 86425 on the detailed end. I have added the bracket for the vac pipe and also fitted some plastic strip to represent the bogie frame now the coupling has been removed, you can just make it out in the picture. I am planning on fitting the lifeguards to this aswell. Also the replacement pantograph is now fitted.

post-6834-0-26168500-1391604269_thumb.jpg

Managed to look at the Farish class 87 last night and it appears the bogies could be moved back to the correct position but I will need to make some replacement drive shafts from brass rod/tube.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 9

Hi,

Managed to do a bit more to 86425 on the detailed end. I have added the bracket for the vac pipe and also fitted some plastic strip to represent the bogie frame now the coupling has been removed, you can just make it out in the picture. I am planning on fitting the lifeguards to this aswell. Also the replacement pantograph is now fitted.

attachicon.gifSAM_0223.JPG

Managed to look at the Farish class 87 last night and it appears the bogies could be moved back to the correct position but I will need to make some replacement drive shafts from brass rod/tube.

Cheers

Simon

Fantastic, had to do a double take on it being N! Doesnt half make me think!

Evening,

Thanks again for the comments. I have made a start tonight on the Farish 87 to try and correct the bogie centres. This has been achieved by rotating the bogie pivot pin through 180° and also shortening the carden shafts. I managed to splice the shafts using some evergreen tube. The modified shaft is on the right in the below picture.

post-6834-0-22118200-1391637244_thumb.jpg

The completed loco.

post-6834-0-16494100-1391637313_thumb.jpg

I have test run it on a piece of track and all appears to be ok. The real test will be with 9mk3's and DVT at speed.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 12

Evening,

Progressed the 87 a little bit more tonight. All the mw fittings have ben removed aswell as the headlight. The coupling, pantograph have been removed and the gap in the buffer beam built up with plastic. The handrails have now been fitted at this end.

post-6834-0-10103300-1391721549_thumb.jpg

Still quite a bit to do. Fortunately I will only need to respray the cab fronts.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 6

Hi,

Well basically completed the detailing of the cab ends, just need a dummy screw coupling. Hopefully over the weekend I may get chance to spray the fronts with white primer than the yellow.

Also managed to fit the Dapol high speed pantograph which helps withe apperance.

post-6834-0-10704300-1391806769_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 9

Wow! Your loco detailing is excellent! Looking forward to seeing the front ends all painted up.

Thanks, just thought, need to order some ohle warning flashes aswell for the cab front and etched nameplates.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity

Evening,

Well a few days later than planned, managed to get the warning panel yellow sprayed on tonight. A coat of Halfords white primer had been applied prior to this. Some of the detail has been picked out also. A coat of Klear will be applied ready for the replacement warning flashes.

post-6834-0-71877600-1392158395_thumb.jpg

Final details to add are TDM jumpers, ETS jumper, etched plates and a screw coupling followed by some weathering.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 6

great work.  the photos of the front end detailing are such that to people like me it "looks" easy to fit the parts with tweezers, forgetting thats this is N gauge and to do so requires a really steady hand and probably glasses or a magnifier!

any chance of lining the shortened wheelbase 87 against a standard one say laid flat to compare?  i think this would really show up what a difference 1mm has made.

also i was wondering this - would the spare short knuckle couplers found in the Dapol Mk3s fit the farish pocket as this would look much nicer than the large Rapido?

Edited by ThaneofFife

great work.  the photos of the front end detailing are such that to people like me it "looks" easy to fit the parts with tweezers, forgetting thats this is N gauge and to do so requires a really steady hand and probably glasses or a magnifier!

any chance of lining the shortened wheelbase 87 against a standard one say laid flat to compare?  i think this would really show up what a difference 1mm has made.

also i was wondering this - would the spare short knuckle couplers found in the Dapol Mk3s fit the farish pocket as this would look much nicer than the large Rapido?

Hi, Thanks for the comments. Although I managed to complete the front ends, I think I am going to invest in some form of magnifier as I was struggling at times.

With regards the wheelbase, I will be picking up a second 87 soon from Hattons so will post a comparison shot.

The couplings will certainly need something doing, I want to get rid of the Rapidos, may look at the Dapol version. Cav's (Millers Dale) idea with the 3D printed replacement looks a good idea.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity

Im currently working on a Dapol mk 3 coach version that will fit the NEMs and feature the pipework and coupled buckeye at the moment. Perfect if you are running a fixed rake. The 87 isnt a NEM fitted loco though so not sure how that would work.

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1

Superb work 87023velocity simple little details like that have made such a difference! always had a soft spot for the 87's look forward to seeing the finished layout if only my eye sight wasn't so bad I'd love to model warrington bank quay in n gauge

Keep up the good work

Mophead

Superb work 87023velocity simple little details like that have made such a difference! always had a soft spot for the 87's look forward to seeing the finished layout if only my eye sight wasn't so bad I'd love to model warrington bank quay in n gauge

Keep up the good work

Mophead

Thanks, I have always liked AC electrics aswell, I am tempted to model an 86/4 and 87 together on a steel coil working from the late 80's as a one off!

Cheers

Simon

Thanks, I have always liked AC electrics aswell, I am tempted to model an 86/4 and 87 together on a steel coil working from the late 80's as a one off!

Cheers

Simon

Well if your models are up to the same standard as the 86 and 87 I look forward to seeing them unfortunately I'm a bit too young to remember the steel coil trains only ever seen pictures but always looked fantastic!

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/jezgould/6268434675/

Hmmmmm...... So tempted to scrap my oo guage shunting layout now........

Mophead

Hi Mophead,

Here are a few links to youtube from around 1989-1990. I could be very easily tempted to model this era but going to resist and stick to 2001.

Cheers

Simon

Those videos are brilliant lots of easily modellable trains must resist the urge .... 2001 is more of my era my dad taking me on trips out to warrington and crewe good times

Mophead