Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001

87023Velocity

Not noticeable on the Nscale version, I suspect, but the Freightliner wagons have different, shorter-wheelbase, bogies (Y27) to the IFA/FIA 'Eurotwins (Y31 or 33?)

FSA:- https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/F/FSAFTA-intermodal-flats/i-FrNqG3c/A

FIA:- https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/F/FIA-intermodal-flats-Sfggmrrss/i-DBWm6Qt/A

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Not noticeable on the Nscale version, I suspect, but the Freightliner wagons have different, shorter-wheelbase, bogies (Y27) to the IFA/FIA 'Eurotwins (Y31 or 33?)

FSA:- https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/F/FSAFTA-intermodal-flats/i-FrNqG3c/A

FIA:- https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/F/FIA-intermodal-flats-Sfggmrrss/i-DBWm6Qt/A

Yes the bogies need to be around 1mm shorter between wheelsets but decided not to attempt shortening, as you say it is not as noticeable in N gauge. 

Cheers

Simon

On 23/05/2019 at 08:12, Satan's Goldfish said:

Excellent stuff. Found my 'work in progress' OO version; the deck overlays are more of a generic FTA rather than FSA for design ease and a mixture of plasticard and MDF created on a laser cutter. Not sure how easy doing the same in N with a thinner material would work, but the cad was my work and scaleable if you'd like to use it.

20190523_080335.jpg.d3e2377409778341a6d45c3ff229702f.jpg

20190523_080411.jpg.ee077f160f057100edc36d64c06f3042.jpg

Depending on the level of detail you're going for, don't forget the lower level headstocks on the inner ends. 

Keep up the good work.

Nice work on those overlays and thanks for the offer. Had a look to see if that would work but think an overlay with glue might make the deck too thick. Will see how this pair go then might review. Going to make the internal buffers up from plastic tube and strip hopefully.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been looking at the fiddleyard on Dallam and a few things have now become clear.

1. Not enough roads for the stock I currently own (not including planned future purchases).

2. Its not been properly thought during the design stage.

The fiddleyard was laid in a rush and I managed to squeeze 10 roads into a space which should only really have 7-8 to give adequate clearance for access to stock.

So what to do? Well what I am looking at doing is adding some additional boards mounted behind the lighting poles. The boards will probably be from Tim Horn and the main Dallam boards will be widened at the ends of the layout so these can be linked to.  This should then provide 16 storage roads and at the same time additional crossovers will be added.

Here are a few pictures to show the fiddleyard and not all my stock is on. The piece of wood with the track is to illustrate my idea for the additional roads.

Cheers

Simon

IMG_20190601_170537056.jpg

IMG_20190602_162858547.jpg

• Like 16

1 hour ago, 87023Velocity said:

Been looking at the fiddleyard on Dallam and a few things have now become clear.

1. Not enough roads for the stock I currently own (not including planned future purchases).

The fiddleyard was laid in a rush and I managed to squeeze 10 roads into a space which should only really have 7-8 to give adequate clearance for access to stock.

So what to do? Well what I am looking at doing is adding some additional boards mounted behind the lighting poles. The boards will probably be from Tim Horn and the main Dallam boards will be widened at the ends of the layout so these can be linked to.  This should then provide 16 storage roads and at the same time additional crossovers will be added.

Here are a few pictures to show the fiddleyard and not all my stock is on. The piece of wood with the track is to illustrate my idea for the additional roads.

Cheers

Simon

IMG_20190601_170537056.jpg

IMG_20190602_162858547.jpg

Hi Simon,

I struggled with my fiddle yard for Shirebrook too..... In the end I decided to make a storage yard instead, there really isn't enough time to change trains regularly at exhibitions (well not with long trains and many wagons in N scale anyway). Getting fingers between tracks would mean setting track centres at least 50mm apart to avoid the 'domino' effect if you knock over a wagon on an adjacent track therefore limiting the amount of storage available in a given width of baseboard, so I went for getting the most storage in the minimum width of baseboard. On the pictures below you can see 16 storage roads on a baseboard 18 inches wide with track centres about 25mm apart. You could make one or more of the roads into an interchangeable cassette system thus increasing the variety of trains that could be run!

Cheers

Duncan

19641299714_48a21e30fe_o.jpg

19642905413_4fe54246a2_o.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
On 02/06/2019 at 19:11, 87023Velocity said:

Simon

Hi Simon,

Plans for the fiddle yard look good and will no doubt improve the running options.  When is the layout out at exhibition again?

Rich

• Thanks 1

Fiddleyards are a real pain! The one on Burton on Trent is horrendous. I am planning to completely remake mine. It currently only has 7 roads and isn't the best carpentry I've ever done. As a result I end up with pretty poor running and low stock capacity which isn't ideal for shows.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 05/06/2019 at 07:04, RBE said:

Fiddleyards are a real pain! The one on Burton on Trent is horrendous. I am planning to completely remake mine. It currently only has 7 roads and isn't the best carpentry I've ever done. As a result I end up with pretty poor running and low stock capacity which isn't ideal for shows.

Mine was pretty rushed, although no poor running, the tracks are too close together and the pointwork feeding each end of the yard is confusing, even for me and there is no flexibility, this then causes potential collisions if roads not set correctly. The down slow line for example has 2 long storage roads in the fiddle yard but there are no points to connect to the down fast so the stock on those 2 loops stay on that all weekend at a show which I know is no great hardship.

With the added extra boards, the original part of the FY could feed the UP side, the new boards the Down side. I want it to be relatively easy for the operating team.

Cheers

Simon

Had a bit of a running session earlier. 60078 heads back to the Midlands with an empty steel working, the BYA being used as an adaptor wagon between the 60 and the non buffer fitted MBA. A pair of DRS 20's head north on the flasks.

P6msNXpJ9yo

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 13

The Branchline Society ran a Railtour to Dallam sidings. Here it can be seen between 60078 and 66135 and a video of it heading back South to visit the Northwich and Middlewich area.

Cheers

Simon

IMG_20190610_103708140.jpg

IMG_20190610_103733397.jpg

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 16

A bit more done this evening on the track detailing. Signs arrived from scale model scenery, nice and easy to use, assembled very quickly. Speed signs, limited clearance and stop board for the warehouse installed, the latter was homemade. Will need to take care when cleaning the track.

Cheers

Simon

IMG_20190619_161123156.jpg

IMG_20190619_162035527.jpg

IMG_20190619_182812310.jpg

IMG_20190619_192410864.jpg

IMG_20190619_193957628.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

On Widnes we used to put plastic cups over the signals to save them from cleaning accidents. You could possibly use bits of straws, film cannisters etc to the same effect ?

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/06/2019 at 20:11, 87023Velocity said:

Made a start on some trackside detailing. Aws ramp fitted, dummy point motors and rodding fitted. Relay cabinets glued in position and etched safety railings fitted. 

Just waiting on some trackside signs, speed boards, limited clearance etc

Hi Simon,

Can I ask where the relay cabinets, dummy point motors and AWS ramps came from?  Not seen some of those around :) 

Rich

1 hour ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Simon,

Can I ask where the relay cabinets, dummy point motors and AWS ramps came from?  Not seen some of those around :) 

Rich

Hi Rich,

Dummy point motors and aws ramps are Peco, the cabinets are Ratio. The AWS magnets are not a straight fit, think they have been designed for code 80 track and I have had to trim the sleepers and trim the aws ramp to allow it to fit. Otherwise it sits too high and catches the underneath of some of the locos, class 37's and 60's.

Cheers

Simon

• Thanks 1

Tonights plan, was get a beer and do some modelling. I managed to get the beer and just did some operating instead. Here we find a pair of 37's heading North on a long Enterprise working. Some of the wagons need looking at as they are dragging a bit, thats the squeaking you can hear.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 16

• 1 month later...
On 27/02/2019 at 17:29, beast66606 said:

Hi Simon,

Not sure I've said this but the layout is looking great.

DAS042966
Warrington Bank Quay
11/06/2001 (Monday)
66227 runs along the Up Goods Loop on 6Z32, Mossend  - Earls Siding HEA's

I photographed most of the wagons too.

DAS42966.jpg.402e21aea16734e2b477f7c1533aef1d.jpg

Following Dave's post above, I have started obtaining some Farish HEAs to form this service. They will however need quite a bit of weathering, certainly the old Railfreight red as most look pink!

Cheers

Simon

IMG_20190821_212710640.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...