Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001

87023Velocity

Nice work Simon, you have got an interesting looking train there.

I have not made further progress to Shirebrook.

Our eldest  son (41) has become ill with a covid -19 type condition but not confirmed and not (yet) hospitalised... our neighbour died on Friday again covid-19 not confirmed as cause.... so it has been full on here.

I am working from home and have much to do so I haven't and won't have extra time for modelling just yet.

I'm looking forward to seeing your further progress.

Cheers

Duncan

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Our eldest  son (41) has become ill with a covid -19 type condition but not confirmed and not (yet) hospitalised... our neighbour died on Friday again covid-19 not confirmed as cause.... so it has been full on here.

I am working from home and have much to do so I haven't and won't have extra time for modelling just yet.

Cheers

Duncan

Hope things with your son resolve themselves quickly and in a positive way.  Same age as me :( everyone take care.

Rich

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

Echo what Rich has said and hope things work out for you all. I am currently working from home and also effectively housebound from today as my wife has a low immunity due to illness and her treatment. It is certainly very worrying and a big shock to the system all what's going on and how we all suddenly need to change how we go about our daily life. 

All the best 

Simon

• Friendly/supportive 1

Looking good Simon. Did you use the transfers supplied with the kits, and if you did how did you find them? What are track panels made from please?

Cheers

Duncan

Edited by Duncan.
Additional text

Hi Duncan,

Yes used the transfers from the kit. They were a little fiddly, I applied some Johnson's Klear first, applied transfers then sealed with more Klear. The Track Panels are made from Finetrax components. 

Cheers

Simon

• Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, 87023Velocity said:

Hi Duncan,

Yes used the transfers from the kit. They were a little fiddly, I applied some Johnson's Klear first, applied transfers then sealed with more Klear. The Track Panels are made from Finetrax components. 

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

I found the transfers too large for the space to which they need to be applied, it was the same on the Seacows, On the prototype the wording was between uprights but the transfers spilled over the uprights or needed to be trimmed so some of the lettering had to be cut off! I estimated if they were rescaled at about 80% size they would have beem OK.

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

I did trim the transfer for the number very slightly but all others went on and looked ok. What I think I did notice is that I think some of the load fixing points have been removed from how originally built, which would affect the transfers maybe? 

Cheers

Simon

57 minutes ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Simon,

I found the transfers too large for the space to which they need to be applied, it was the same on the Seacows, On the prototype the wording was between uprights but the transfers spilled over the uprights or needed to be trimmed so some of the lettering had to be cut off! I estimated if they were rescaled at about 80% size they would have beem OK.

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

Looking again, the numbering etc on mine is as per EWS and the number panels etc do look smaller than a BR numbered example and hence maybe why had no problems? 

Cheers

Simon

• Informative/Useful 1

On 24/03/2020 at 22:01, Steadfast said:

The mullet looks really smart Simon, I must get on and do mine. Really like your weathering, catches the look spot on

Jo

Thanks Jo, the N gauge society kits are in my eyes very good value for money and build into nice models. 

Cheers

Simon

A few more hours work this evening and the 4 kits have been completed. The 3 x Salmon wagons have had the track panels fitted along with straps to secure the load. All 4 wagons have been given a coat of Matt varnish to seal in the weathering powders.

Here they are passing Dallam sidings on a working to Crewe Basford Hall.

Cheers

Simon

20200325_204034.jpg

20200325_204106.jpg

20200325_213144.jpg

• Like 16

Had a bit of a running session last night with the new additions.

37216 on a Engineers working as a FNW class 142 heads towards Warrington BQ.

56070 heads towards Seaforth with the loaded Cawoods as 66115 heads South with an Intermodal working.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 18

2 hours ago, cornish trains jez said:

Nice vids there Simon. Layout and stock are looking stunning matey.

keep up the good work!

Stay safe.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy, hope you are keeping well yourself.

Any progress with Euston?

Cheers

Simon

Todays project has been weathering the Revolution KFAs and C Rail pocket wagons. This has mainly been done using an airbrush followed by powders. The containers will be done at some point in the future. The 3 C Rail tanktainer kits have also been finished.

20200329_175324.jpg

20200329_175341.jpg

20200329_175630.jpg

20200329_175621.jpg

• Like 18

Next item of rolling stock (traction) on to the work bench is a Farish class 90. This started off as 90022 in RfD. So far the moulded lights and grill have been cut out and a replacement etch unit fitted. Roof grills have also been fitted along with trim pieces behind the cabs. All these parts are from Peter Harvey's detailing kit. An attempt has also been made to re-profile the cab roof at each end. Left to do is fit wire handrails, add detail to the buffer beams and then the body can be sprayed. This will become 90029 in its 1992 DB red livery. The wheel sets will be replaced with finer ones in the near future.

20200330_222418.jpg

20200330_222210.jpg

• Like 16

3 hours ago, MrSimon said:

Looking good!  Is the plasticard to make the work on the headlamps show up better on the photo or will it be a key part of the work?

Thanks 

Simon

Thanks Simon, the plasticard is used to fit the skirt to the body, it just needs trimming and filling to suit. 

Bit more work done on the Farish 90. Holes drilled for handrails, small amount of filler needed following the fitting of the headlight etch. Once cleaned, the body has been sprayed in undercoat. I have been looking at the wheels, this model had the old pizza cutter Farish wheels. I had some of the new finer profile wheelsets from a class 57 so fitted these. Straightaway I realised they were bigger so thought no good but when checking the dimensions etc, they are actually correct. It looks like with the class 87 and 90 they have a wheelset which is probably more suited to a 91. If you compare my pictures of 90028 to this 90, you can see the difference. Needless to say, my 87 and 90's will slowly be changed to bigger wheels.

20200331_154836.jpg

20200331_154945.jpg

20200331_155014.jpg

• Like 12