Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001

87023Velocity

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

Work on the Worsley Works Freightliner Flats nearly complete. After successful test running, the remaining detailing will be added, air reservoirs (use Evergreen tube) etched handbrake wheels and also clean up the brass. The buffers are N Brass, the bogies are from the N Gauge Society, I have modified these to get a suitable ride height. 

Here is the test run, the 3 kit built flats are tagged on the rear.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

Which bogies did you end up using from the NGS range?

I have a similar rake of Worsley Works ones sat waiting for bogies.

Thanks

Phil H

1 hour ago, Scottish Modeller said:

Hi Simon,

Which bogies did you end up using from the NGS range?

I have a similar rake of Worsley Works ones sat waiting for bogies.

Thanks

Phil H

Hi Phil,

Its these ones

https://www.ngsjoin.com/ride-control-bogies-ngsb0013-8433-p.asp

I have modified these though along with filing parts of the underframe area to give enough wheel clearance on the return curves. If you look in the picture below, I have cut the bogie sides from the bolster then super glued this about 1mm lower. I could have removed the same amount from the underframe and left the bogie intact but I was concerned about losing strength in the underframe. The white strips are just to add strength to the glued joint.

Cheers

Simon

20200417_102751.jpg

• Like 2

Had a few more running sessions over the past week in between modelling. 

I am intending to have 2 Freightliner trains running with 20 wagons in each rake, I wanted to see how well a 30+ wagon rake would run, especially through the fiddleyard pointwork. My existing 11 Freightliner wagons were added to the 20 wagon Intermodal. This needs 2 powered 86's. The 20 wagon rake should be ok with a powered and a dummy.

Another running session with 37710 on a trip working, 86261 hauling the push pull set and 47785 heading north on an engineers train.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
On 17/04/2020 at 20:51, 87023Velocity said:

Hi Phil,

Its these ones

https://www.ngsjoin.com/ride-control-bogies-ngsb0013-8433-p.asp

I have modified these though along with filing parts of the underframe area to give enough wheel clearance on the return curves. If you look in the picture below, I have cut the bogie sides from the bolster then super glued this about 1mm lower. I could have removed the same amount from the underframe and left the bogie intact but I was concerned about losing strength in the underframe. The white strips are just to add strength to the glued joint.

Cheers

Simon

20200417_102751.jpg

Hi

I am just about to build a rake of these. Do you have a photo of the mods you have made to the underside of the flats. I have in the past struggled to get the ride height anything near correct even with 5.1mm wheels.

Also what radius are your curves?

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus
Supplementary question

On 26/04/2020 at 21:00, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

I am just about to build a rake of these. Do you have a photo of the mods you have made to the underside of the flats. I have in the past struggled to get the ride height anything near correct even with 5.1mm wheels.

Also what radius are your curves?

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

Apologies for the late reply. Regards the ride height, I adjusted the bogies by dropping the bolster/cross member approx 1mm, this means cutting the bogie sides from the cross member then gluing back together in the new position. The underframe of the flat was filed to allow clearance of the wheels on curves. 

The minimum radius of the return curves is 10 inch. 

Cheers 

Simon

20200428_160213.jpg

• Thanks 1

Bit more work on some of my wagons, focusing on loads. I had a brand new EWS Farish BDA sat on the workbench for a while. Finally got round to weathering, fitting a load including strapping. The stancions were replaced with square brass rod. The load is microstrip cut to length. Also started the loads for my OBA/OCAs which will run in a engineers train. These will have various odd sleepers, small lengths of rail and orange tube etc. The sleepers and rail are Finetrax, the moulded holes in the sleepers have been filled using 40thou plastic strip. Each sleeper has been weathered individually which is a bit repetitive.

Cheers Simon

20200428_131553.jpg

20200428_131629.jpg

20200428_150915.jpg

20200428_142734.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 87023Velocity said:

Hi Paul,

Apologies for the late reply. Regards the ride height, I adjusted the bogies by dropping the bolster/cross member approx 1mm, this means cutting the bogie sides from the cross member then gluing back together in the new position. The underframe of the flat was filed to allow clearance of the wheels on curves. 

The minimum radius of the return curves is 10 inch. 

Cheers 

Simon

20200428_160213.jpg

Hi Simon

Thanks for that photo and my minimum radius is the same so I’ll see how I get on. I’m using 2mm SA bogies as the middle part is already lower than the sideframes and I didn’t think to just do as you have, doh.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

Bit of a retro respray over the past few days. Always liked the redstripe railfreight livery, so a suitable split box 37 is going to become 37355. Bodyshell has had the boiler steps filled in. The nose ends are correct as being the plated over version. The aerial will be replaced with something finer. Here is are some progress shots. Cheers Simon

20200430_192420.jpg

20200430_192632.jpg

20200430_163916.jpg

• Like 18

55 minutes ago, cornish trains jez said:

Very nice Simon. I like the weathering you apply, always looks spot on.

Now how about a nice Intercity Executive liveried version for when you want to wind the clock back.....

Best regards and stay safe,

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy! Regards winding the clock back, there is currently a stripped 87 on my work bench which will be going into Executive livery at some point. 

Cheers

Simon

Bit of an update, the Freightliner rake is nearing completion, all the containers have been weathered to various degrees though I have not modelled any which are extremely shabby, yet! The Worsley Works Freightliner flats have been painted and then weathered. The transfers on these are from Railtec. Ordered some more 40 foot HC containers from C=Rail to go on the Megafrets as currently got standard 40foots on them.

Cheers

Simon

20200511_182447.jpg

20200512_205744.jpg

20200512_205757.jpg

20200512_205748.jpg

20200512_212446.jpg

• Like 19

19 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

The signal heads and route indicator are from CR signals....

20200515_162623.jpg

I'd send those signal heads back Simon, they look a bit crude and over scale! :jester:

Seriously, great work as usual :good:

Jack.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4