Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001

87023Velocity

Thanks for the comments Duncan and Tim. I wanted alot of this detail to be on for Dallams first show in 2016 but ran out of time! 

Dallam was due to appear at Wigan in October but we decided (I am a member of the Wigan team) a few days ago the only sensible option was to cancel this years show. 

So the next show for Dallam will be Heywood MRC next May then Wigan 2021. 

In the meantime work will continue, plenty of spare time in the evenings (no driving my daughters to dance classes and competitions) should see quite a few items progressed and completed. 

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 13/04/2020 at 16:59, 87023Velocity said:

Made a start on the Worsley Works FGA/FFA etched kits. Went together with not many problems, got additional detail to add which is not included in the kit - air reservoir  handbrake wheels etc. The one completed so far will be a FFA inner, the next 2 will be FGA outers. 

Cheers

Simon

20200413_145038.jpg

20200413_162551.jpg

20200413_162327.jpg

Hi

Inspired by the above post I dug out the Worsley Works Freightliner flats I bought in 2006 and ordered a complete new set along with parts to replace the ones I attempted to build back then.

I used the second picture down on this post for inspiration for the first five flats.

Using the ones I built back in 2006 I experimented with ways to get the correct ride height / buffer height in conjunction with images provided in this thread. In then end I decided to use the 2mm SA ride control bogies as the centre bar is already lower than the sides meaning I didn't need to cut the sides of the NGS bogies. However, there are no suitable 5.1mm diameter N gauge wheels sold by the 2mm SA to fit these bogies so I shortened the axles on the Parkside Dundas wheels.

The bogie pivots were turned on a lathe from 2mm A/F Hex bar and then tapped M2 for the screws. I've also added the ISO mounting points to the sides of the flats along with the air cylinder (again made using the lathe) and distribution valve (TPM). As the prototype photo shows the wagons have the stone shields over the bogies so these were fabricated from 0.2mm brass strip soldered to the underside of the wagon. Plasticard was then super glued to the top to bring the strips level with the top of the body.

Couplings have been added from the NGS coupler sprue mounted on brass strip soldered to the bogie.

I now have another five wagon set to build but first I am going to have a go at building some of the earlier containers including the Manchester Liner one shown in the link.

F7785B32-788A-4630-9C3C-20F606A819E7.jpeg.fcc038fef4b2e2e8ee59cfaf482214a3.jpeg15194E11-AA77-4254-B26E-2D1DD67AE9DE.jpeg.22fcd4d1935fdb8b4c199e42fcdc3296.jpeg

Simon thanks for the inspiration and photos, sorry for the thread hijack.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Given their distinctive curved spokes you'd have thought they could have etched a pair of brake wheels on the fret. There's plenty of room.

Hi

Indeed but luckily there are some suitable ones on the Ultima etch. Mine will be added once they are painted.

Cheers

Paul

• 1 month later...
On 21/09/2020 at 11:27, beast66606 said:

Hi Simon - hope things are Ok ?

I've found these photos which I don't think I've shared before.

Warrington Dallam Freight Depot / RMT
07/09/2001 (Friday)
56116 shunts Dallam yard

DAS46254.JPG.bda27e7b4e9a2da8ef03e68015fc35ea.JPG

DAS46256.JPG.005626fcaefaf22982522c40c5fb8c19.JPG

Hi Dave,

Not seen those before, thanks for posting. 

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Railfreight1998 said:

That first picture is brilliant Simon. Theres something about trains overtaking that just looks good.

Cheers, Evan

I totally agree, it shows what N does so well, decent length trains in a scene. Lovely!

Jo

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

Hi Rich and Dave,

All ok thanks ;), no modelling happened for past few months as been busy with a new kitchen being fitted, decorating, work in the garden and demolishing a shed (not the 66 version:jester:)! At one stage I could not access the layout due to all the stuff from the kitchen being dumped in the garage. 

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks for pics and the catch up, glad to hear all is ok ... although with all that work on it sounds like a rough few months!  Shame you weren't demolishing the other type of shed (yes, there really is too many of them from an enthusiast point of view ... roll on the 69s!).

Looks forward to catching up with Warrington over the coming weeks and months.  Take care mate.  Love the pics btw!

Rich

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Simon,

Thanks for pics and the catch up, glad to hear all is ok ... although with all that work on it sounds like a rough few months!  Shame you weren't demolishing the other type of shed (yes, there really is too many of them from an enthusiast point of view ... roll on the 69s!).

Looks forward to catching up with Warrington over the coming weeks and months.  Take care mate.  Love the pics btw!

Rich

Hi Rich,

Looking in the garage tonight, there is certainly quite a bit to keep me going over Autumn and Winter. I have also somehow managed to order 2 Strathclyde liveried class 320s and Dapol are releasing the 156 in that livery, they won't look right on Dallam so may need to build them a home........ :sungum:

Cheers

Simon

• Like 4

Finally managed to get some running today. Think it was June that the last time the layout was operated. Needless to say the track needed a good clean.

Here are a couple of clips, 60078 on the Irvine to Burngullow empties being passed by a push pull service. Second clip 90028 heads to Mossend with an Intermodal and 86605/628 slowing with a liner for Basford Hall at Dallam steam shed.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 17

Thanks for all the comments everyone. It was great to actually have a running session after the summer break.

This morning the superb Revolution trains KUA nuclear wagons arrived. A couple of quick pictures. Will have a run tonight. Just need some EWS inspection saloons as support vehicles.

Cheers

Simon

20200928_104434.jpg

20200928_104135.jpg

20200928_104504.jpg

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 14