Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

1 hour ago, 87023Velocity said:

Still no modelling started yet, still playing! A gap between the cargowaggons allows a  shot of 08802 whilst shunting Dallam freight terminal

20200930_110314.jpg

Saw this shot on Fb, superb image Simon! :good:

Jack.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

Still no modelling started yet, still playing! A gap between the cargowaggons allows a  shot of 08802 whilst shunting Dallam freight terminal

Simon, when you can get realistic images and views like that, you really should be playing and not modelling :)

Wonderful shot mate.  Takes you a second or two to realise it really is a model.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Thanks 1

• 87023Velocity changed the title to Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 - Running session
  • RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, 87023Velocity said:

Good morning everyone, had a play around with Power Director to create a sort of running session if you will for Dallam, I have also included a few stills at the start and end. Should have been set up at Wigan this weekend but maybe next year!:sungum: Hope you all have a great weekend!

Simon

Brilliant Simon.  Really enjoyed watching that, and made a nice change to the short clips (no criticism!)   Just shows how good N can be these days.  Well done mate.

Rich

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, 87023Velocity said:

Good morning everyone, had a play around with Power Director to create a sort of running session if you will for Dallam, I have also included a few stills at the start and end. Should have been set up at Wigan this weekend but maybe next year!:sungum:

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Superb video Simon...as has been said many times, can’t wait to stand and watch the trains rush by at an exhibition - hopefully in the not-so-distant future.

I don’t know what it’s like there but it’s hissing it down here...lots of modelling time this weekend methinks! Have a good un :senile:

Jack.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Simon. Fantastic. I've travelled from Frodsham to Manchester a lot over the last 25 years - lots of memories. You even got the Llandudno trains in, Almost makes up for not getting to visit Wigan exhibition.  Thanks again. Trevor

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I don't know if you rub your hands with glee or dread each Revolution announcement - they seem to cater exactly for your period.

Excellent video.

Thanks, I think I rub my hands with glee, my wallet on the other hand..........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarshLane said:

Brilliant Simon.  Really enjoyed watching that, and made a nice change to the short clips (no criticism!)   Just shows how good N can be these days.  Well done mate.

Rich

Thanks Rich, I don't think I would have been as attracted to doing this in N gauge say 15 years ago comparing to whats available now. That being said an update of the 87 & 90 would be nice.

1 hour ago, Jack374 said:

Superb video Simon...as has been said many times, can’t wait to stand and watch the trains rush by at an exhibition - hopefully in the not-so-distant future.

I don’t know what it’s like there but it’s hissing it down here...lots of modelling time this weekend methinks! Have a good un :senile:

Jack.

Thanks Jack and you too, cannot believe Dallam was at Blackburn last year and we were talking layouts. Its very wet here so may nip into the garage for 5mins...

52 minutes ago, shedman said:

Thank you Simon. Fantastic. I've travelled from Frodsham to Manchester a lot over the last 25 years - lots of memories. You even got the Llandudno trains in, Almost makes up for not getting to visit Wigan exhibition.  Thanks again. Trevor

Thanks Trevor, glad you like it. Hopefully Dallam will be out and about next year! :sungum:

Cheers

Simon

To be honest, I am not a big fan of N gauge, nor a fan of tailchasers, but... that was superb. 

I think it's the scale speed and realistic consists, plus the weathering... basically everything about the layout :D

I had a brief dabble with N gauge quite a few years ago but I have settled on OO gauge for my current layout.  

My era would be about 20 years before yours and I can just imagine the sort of stuff you would see screaming  (and trundling) past the camera. Got me thinking now.

I particularly liked the 'double tailed' Virgin express. 

Enjoy 

Thanks for posting 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 9C85 said:

To be honest, I am not a big fan of N gauge, nor a fan of tailchasers, but... that was superb. 

I think it's the scale speed and realistic consists, plus the weathering... basically everything about the layout :D

I had a brief dabble with N gauge quite a few years ago but I have settled on OO gauge for my current layout.  

My era would be about 20 years before yours and I can just imagine the sort of stuff you would see screaming  (and trundling) past the camera. Got me thinking now.

Enjoy 

Thanks for posting 

Wow, thanks!  :D

Is this more your idea? Link from Flickr.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 9C85 said:

Enjoy 

Thanks for posting 

i have to say 9C85 I think you made a mistake going to OO,  Dallam sidings is a great layout and like my N gauge  layout we were both supposed to at the Wigan show. So if you dare check out Shirebrook via the link.... Hopefully we will both be at Wigan in 2021, I sure Simon would join me in hoping to see you there!

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Duncan. said:

i have to say 9C85 I think you made a mistake going to OO,  Dallam sidings is a great layout and like my N gauge  layout we were both supposed to at the Wigan show. So if you dare check out Shirebrook via the link.... Hopefully we will both be at Wigan in 2021, I sure Simon would join me in hoping to see you there!

Cheers

Duncan

I have seen videos of Shirebrook too. Another fantastic layout.  I moved to just outside Chesterfield in 1989 and I remember the MGRs going through on summer evenings when I used to play golf at Tapton . I wish I had been more interested in trains back then - my interests were different in my early 20s.

• Funny 2

29 minutes ago, 9C85 said:

More like this...

image.png.4f17480544588235f6a47ba9c857eb7a.png

Keep posting these, I have been trying to get him to go back to early 80s for ages. Hopefully 1984 as the 20s had just arrived in the north west. Best time ever with 08, 20, 25, 37, 40, 45s (on the north Wales), 47, 56 (push a 58!), rosters, 86, the best 87s along with brilliant blue squares, random EMUs and the APT. 

Edited by springs branch
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, springs branch said:

Keep posting these, I have been trying to get him to go back to early 80s for ages. Hopefully 1984 as the 20s had just arrived in the north west. Best time ever with 08, 20, 25, 37, 40, 45s (on the north Wales), 47, 56 (push a 58!), rosters, 86, the best 87s along with brilliant blue squares, random EMUs and the APT. 

Wasn’t it just! What did you class as blue squares? Can just see and hear a 40 pottering down there on Mk1s on the Holyhead! Was Dallam terminal built then? Would have been a 25 dropping in on a trip Speedlink freight from Arpley I suppose.

Rich

1 hour ago, MarshLane said:

Wasn’t it just! What did you class as blue squares? Can just see and hear a 40 pottering down there on Mk1s on the Holyhead! Was Dallam terminal built then? Would have been a 25 dropping in on a trip Speedlink freight from Arpley I suppose.

Rich

Blue squares are first generation DMUs. Although the warehouse was not built the sidings were in situ in 1984 although I think one of the far roads had a run around loop.  I think the sidings were mainly used for steel wire in the mid 80's.

Cheers

Simon

• Informative/Useful 1

Great video that Simon. One of these days our layouts will overlap at a show and I'll get a chance see it in the flesh!

9C85, tapton bridge was my staple trainspotting haunt back in the day, amazing variety of train through Chesterfield back then. Although not on the same scale as Dallam or Shirebrook, they are both huge N gauge layouts, it may be worth trying to get to see my layout of Burton on Trent sometime to see what can be done with N in a smaller space! I think a lot of people underestimate how good N gauge can be and it is very difficult to get that same sense of place in a 4mm layout.

Regards

Cav

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

One final diversion ....

If I ever finish my current layout and decide to  build another, it would be a continuous run,  based loosely on this sort of scenario 

It would be late BR blue/early sectorisation era and I would add OHLE.

In addition to  through trains, I would have light engines emerging from the tunnels and using the crossovers to run back into the station at the other end of the tunnels.

But that is a long way off. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1