Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

12 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

Right I have finally managed to create a Youtube channel. It should have been straight forward but the local broadband speeds this week have been rubbish, slow and losing connection. 

Therefore only 6 videos loaded so far but more to be added (slowly!!) during next few days (both existing and new videos).

Thanks for looking. 

Dallam Sidings N gauge Layout WCML

https://youtube.com/channel/UCdo73zC2Qg08raORGGcLRjA

Thanks

Simon

I have subscribed!

Cheers and stay safe,

Jeremy

• Thanks 1

Been having a play with Power Director and created a few new video compilations. 

First a combination of stills and video clips, unfortunately I did not take more pictures during construction so there do seem to be a few jumps but hopefully you can see the development.

The second video contains clips which were recorded during the Blackburn Exhibition in 2019 when Duncan and Janet Hunnisett visited and Duncan had thoughtfully brought a stock box containing 80s & 90s locos, these were soon put into action on Dallam. 

Cheers

Simon

• Like 12

Following on from the Youtube channel, I have created a Facebook page for Dallam sidings.

See here:

https://www.facebook.com/Dallam-Sidings-100110142063240/

Now thats all done, back to some modelling!

Hopefully get the RES 47 further progressed over the coming weeks, just need to order some numbers for it and nameplates from Shawplan.

The projects awaiting attention are:

5 NGS Seacows

2 NGS Sharks (1 is nearly ready for paint)

3 Farish container flats to become additional inners, NGS bogies obtained, need lowering and 5.1mm wheels

Plus resprays to finish. My aim was by spring to have all done!

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon,

If you don’t mind rewinding back to March, I have a question about the NGS Mullet/Parr kits. In the picture you posted on March 25th it looks like the coupling option you went for is the “extra long sprung coupler” supplied with this kit. Is that correct? I’ve almost finished building my two kits and am considering what to do regarding couplings. I’m aiming for as close a coupling as possible with the condition that they should be able to handle Peco 4th radius curves (333mm radius).

On 14/01/2021 at 16:42, Western Aviator said:

Hi Simon,

If you don’t mind rewinding back to March, I have a question about the NGS Mullet/Parr kits. In the picture you posted on March 25th it looks like the coupling option you went for is the “extra long sprung coupler” supplied with this kit. Is that correct? I’ve almost finished building my two kits and am considering what to do regarding couplings. I’m aiming for as close a coupling as possible with the condition that they should be able to handle Peco 4th radius curves (333mm radius).

Yes that is correct I used the long couplings, I did try the short length ones and seemed to have problems on some of the smaller points in the fiddleyard. I think I could actually do with a coupler somewhere between the 2 in length.

Cheers

Simon

• Thanks 1

• 87023Velocity changed the title to Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 - Layout tour video including fiddle yard

Following a few recent suggestions, I have created a Layout Tour of Dallam including the fiddleyards and also showing how the sidings at the front of the layout are accessed from the fiddleyard. Hope you find it of interest.

Following 60078 on 7F81 Liverpool Bulk Terminal to Fiddlers Ferry Bulk Terminal, the train enters the scenic section passing under Folly Lane over bridge, Dallam sidings to the left and the blue building to the right used to be Dallam steam shed 8B but now extended and converted to factory use belonging to Locker Airmaze. Continuing past 37216 shunting the Arpley to Dallam and return trip we see the McGregor Cory warehouse with the cargowaggons being shunted by 37216. Next 60078 passes over the crossovers (named Dallam Junction) which where installed for access to the Royal Mail Terminal (RMT). Next is Bewsey Road over bridge immediately followed by the signal gantry which again was installed for the new crossovers to the RMT. Finally the train approaches the end of the scenic section. The last signal gantry is showing a single yellow and route indicator lit, this means 7F81 will be heading into the goods loop at Warrington Bank Quay station. The final bridge carries the Cheshire Lines (Liverpool to Manchester via Warrington Central) over the WCML. The train enters the fiddleyard and continues along one of the back loops before finally completing a full circuit. Next we see 37216 shunting the sidings, this part of the clip is to show how the sidings are fed from the fiddleyard. I hope the clip is of interest and as you can see an extension to the fiddleyard has been built, just awaiting track laying. Thanks for watching!!

Edited by 87023Velocity
Explanation added for layout tour.
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, 87023Velocity said:

Following a few recent suggestions, I have created a Layout Tour of Dallam including the fiddleyards and also showing how the sidings at the front of the layout are accessed from the fiddleyard. Hope you find it of interest.

Really great video. Good to see the behind the scenes sections. I like the angle where you could see both scenic and fiddle yard movements at the same time. The fiddle yard extension area is really going to massively increase capacity 

• Thanks 1

Nice video Simon. It's great to see the complete layout, including the fiddle yard.

I stumbled across this photo today when looking for motivation and ideas for North End Road. It really hit home how well you have modelled the real thing. I've never been to Dallam myself, but I knew exactly where it was before reading the caption.  

31450 Dallam Yard

All the best,

Dave

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• 87023Velocity changed the title to Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001

Thanks for the comments regards the layout tour and the layout, should really do it with a charter rake, a railtour of Dallam! 

Back to some modelling and progressing the resprays which had been started last month. 

Bit more work done on the Farish class 90 which has been resprayed into ex Anglia (AGA) white and grey, to represent Freightliner condition. The coupling has been removed from one end. The skirt has been modified and detail added. Once the bodyshell is complete, the skirt will be glued to it. A few pictures including posed alongside the outgoing traction.

Cheers

Simon

20210119_150645.jpg

20210119_150657.jpg

20210119_151011.jpg

20210119_151132.jpg

• Like 14

• 3 weeks later...

With the arrival of the EFE Shark to retailers I decided to aim to get both of my NGS sharks completed. One issue I had not been happy with was the suggested coupling arrangement. Although it allows the full plough to be used I decided to stick with the rapido style. To achieve this, I have cut the complete couplings from the Farish bogies fitted to the Freightliner flats and 100t bogie tanks as I have got replacement bogies. To fit the couplings, a suitable gap has been cut out in the middle of the plough. Testing in the middle of a rake of wagons was successful. I then decided to trial one of my OTAs, I have not been happy with the Peco couplings used on these. Again the trial wagon seemed to be a success. Cheers Simon

20210208_150421.jpg

20210208_150505.jpg

20210208_152605.jpg

• Like 7

Those 92’s look great. Just a side note, they should run with the rear pan raised unless running with a car train (stops carbon from the pan landing on the cars). Can’t wait till layout shows are up and running again. 

ps I was a 92 driver when I was at ews/db and still miss driving them. 

• Informative/Useful 4

6 hours ago, pilkko said:

Those 92’s look great. Just a side note, they should run with the rear pan raised unless running with a car train (stops carbon from the pan landing on the cars). Can’t wait till layout shows are up and running again. 

ps I was a 92 driver when I was at ews/db and still miss driving them. 

Thanks for that info, had never noticed that on pictures, will swap them over. 

Thanks again

Simon

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to assembling the N Gauge Society Seacow kits that I got last summer I think, 5 to build, should have bought more as they go out of stock quite quickly from the NGS shop. Livery wise, will probably do 4 in weathered Dutch and 1 in EWS livery to suit the timeframe on Dallam. 

Majority of the brass etches have been folded 

assembled and soldered for strength. All need a good clean prior to spraying. The discharge chutes will be fitted once painted.

Cheers

Simon

20210228_150136.jpg

20210228_151813.jpg

20210302_135307.jpg

20210302_094827.jpg

20210304_211347.jpg

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 10