Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

• RMweb Premium

No excuse:

5418408724_a7989176ee_w.jpg

Stephenson At Winwick. by Neil Harvey 156, on Flickr

Not forgetting Virgin's repaints, with a choice of XP64, BR Blue and Large logo:

49134115731_c38bd575f2_w.jpg

Virgin Trains Class 47/8 47853 - Bramhall by David Burrell, on Flickr

49768623258_4861fcd3b3_w.jpg

The end by Mark Gowing, on Flickr

Or if you prefer something a little less polished:

50992279501_a2380a3601_w.jpg

47806 and 47467 Crewe 10/10/98 by Andy K, on Flickr

Steven B.

• Like 6

Got hold of an EWS liveried 56 today so set about reworking the cab front. The black painted on square in the grill was removed with T-Cut however this does wear some of the yellow on the grill away. So next stage is mask off the cab front and rest of the body to allow the grill to be airbrushed rail yellow. Next jumpers removed and replacements fabricated from 10thou microstrip, approx 1mm plastic rod and 0.33mm brass wire. NRN aerials fitted to both ends (BH Enterprises) and all painted. Just need pipes on bufferbeam and weathering. Cheers Simon

20210910_143951.jpg

20210910_205842.jpg

20210910_163220.jpg

20210910_163001.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

Got hold of an EWS liveried 56 today so set about reworking the cab front. The black painted on square in the grill was removed with T-Cut however this does wear some of the yellow on the grill away. So next stage is mask off the cab front and rest of the body to allow the grill to be airbrushed rail yellow. Next jumpers removed and replacements fabricated from 10thou microstrip, approx 1mm plastic rod and 0.33mm brass wire. NRN aerials fitted to both ends (BH Enterprises) and all painted. Just need pipes on bufferbeam and weathering. Cheers Simon

20210910_143951.jpg

Hi Simon,

I am being really picky here, but thought I'd point it out as your repaints are so good.  Dapol (I am assuming its one of there's) cocked that branding up.  They have used the EWS Gill Sans font for the EW&S livery which was Arial if I remember rightly - more rounded and looks very different on the locos. 

The early version:

Class 56 56058 & 56087 - Barnetby

The later version (Gill Sans - sharper, more defined and a bit smaller in height)

56115 "Barry Needham"

Both off Flickr.

No criticism intended at all, but it seems a shame to go to the extend of repainting the yellow, detailing it and not changing the bodyside branding for the right style?

Rich

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Simon,

I am being really picky here, but thought I'd point it out as your repaints are so good.  Dapol (I am assuming its one of there's) cocked that branding up.  They have used the EWS Gill Sans font for the EW&S livery which was Arial if I remember rightly - more rounded and looks very different on the locos. 

The early version:

Class 56 56058 & 56087 - Barnetby

The later version (Gill Sans - sharper, more defined and a bit smaller in height)

56115 "Barry Needham"

Both off Flickr.

No criticism intended at all, but it seems a shame to go to the extend of repainting the yellow, detailing it and not changing the bodyside branding for the right style?

Rich

Hi Rich,

I am glad you mentioned it as had not noticed it, but now looking at pictures I can see what you mean.

I was thinking of renumbering and ordering transfers from Railtec then decided to stick with 56089 to make it an easy project. 

Fortunately it is a relatively easy job to sort. Better get my numbers ordered. 

Thanks again.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 87023Velocity said:

I am glad you mentioned it as had not noticed it, but now looking at pictures I can see what you mean.

With the dubious privilege of living and breathing the minutest variations in livery detail day in/day out, it would appear that 56089 never made it to the later style of the branding. It's a shame that the factory R&D/QA team didn't pick up on it particularly as the way they've manufactured the branding isn't prototypical of anything (to the best of my knowledge, at least). Here's a shot of what we're told is 089 meeting its fate with the earlier branding very prominent:

56089 Booths Rotherham

Like Rich says though - brilliant modelling on this thread. I'm sure Simon already knows but for the benefit of others there's the option to renumber/rebrand any EWS loco via this item here:

https://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?search_str=2230

Branding & number spacing traced from the originals (as many of them varied), spot printed and with the correct EWS maroon colour.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, railtec-models said:

With the dubious privilege of living and breathing the minutest variations in livery detail day in/day out, it would appear that 56089 never made it to the later style of the branding. It's a shame that the factory R&D/QA team didn't pick up on it particularly as the way they've manufactured the branding isn't prototypical of anything (to the best of my knowledge, at least). Here's a shot of what we're told is 089 meeting its fate with the earlier branding very prominent:

56089 Booths Rotherham

Like Rich says though - brilliant modelling on this thread. I'm sure Simon already knows but for the benefit of others there's the option to renumber/rebrand any EWS loco via this item here:

https://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?search_str=2230

Branding & number spacing traced from the originals (as many of them varied), spot printed and with the correct EWS maroon colour.

Hi Steve,

Order placed for replacement numbers and EWS branding!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

Hi Rich,

I was thinking of renumbering and ordering transfers from Railtec then decided to stick with 56089 to make it an easy project. 

Fortunately it is a relatively easy job to sort. Better get my numbers ordered. 

Thanks again.

Cheers

Simon

Glad I said something now, I really wasnt trying to drum up business for Steve :P ... they are the best out there in my view tho!

Would you possibly do some shots showing how you remove the old transfers - id be interested to see. I need to buck up courage on some of my stuff!

Rich

4 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Glad I said something now, I really wasnt trying to drum up business for Steve :P ... they are the best out there in my view tho!

Would you possibly do some shots showing how you remove the old transfers - id be interested to see. I need to buck up courage on some of my stuff!

Rich

Hi Rich,

Can do, however if like other Dapol items, you need to use T-cut and I am expecting I will need to redo the gold band with the airbrush.

Cheers

Simon

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

The silver 60, 60033 has finally been reassembled and detail added to one end. Got quite a few locos now in the weathering queue.

Cheers

Simon

20210913_205611.jpg

20210913_210211.jpg

Very nice Simon.

I personally always preferred he BSC Blue variety (which of course if out of period for your layout) but you have made a good of 60033 in its silver guise.  Nicely done : )

Rich

• Like 2

Bit more done to the Intercity Swallow 86 tonight, now numbered 86249 County of Merseyside. 3D nameplates, numbers, cantrail stripes, overhead warning labels from Railtec. The Intercity swallow logo are Fox.

86244 The Royal British Legion has been created using the standard Dapol Virgin 86229. Numbers removed using white spirit initially followed by T cut to finish off. A number and 3D nameplate pack from Railtec was used to create 86244.

Both locos will receive replacement brass buffers from N Brass.

Cheers

Simon

20210914_203840.jpg

20210914_203828.jpg

20210914_204055.jpg

20210914_204046.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The numbers for the EWS class 56 have arrived from Railtec so made a start with the renumbering to 56067. 

The numbers and logo are quite difficult to remove and require the use of T-Cut. The gold band is masked off from  the rest of the body to  prevent damage to the main body colour. As you can see removing the number and logo rubs the gold away. So clean the bodyside, mask up and respray with Railmatch EWS gold. A few coats of Johnsons klear have been applied for the transfers to sit on. Just ready for a coat of satin varnish then eventually weathering.

Cheers

Simon

20210915_133320.jpg

20210915_133119.jpg

20210915_170900.jpg

20210916_184553.jpg

• Like 17

2 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Thanks Simon,

Do you find that the paint is a good match to the Dapol gold? I presume you've only resprayed the section that you had masked off?

Rich

Hi Rich,

No, I did the whole band. The section of masking tape used when removing the numbers was binned then the whole stripe was masked off again and sprayed EWS gold as there is a slight difference between factory and Railmatch.

Cheers

Simon

• Thanks 1

A nice NSE liveried 47 arrived today, it will be soon heading for the IPA bath to be stripped ready for respraying. It will be finished as 47712 in Fragonset black. 

Also made a start spraying one of the NGS Sharks into Loadhaul colours with wasp ends. In reality the majority of sharks in later life (all Loadhaul liveried ones did)had plated sides i.e. no planks. I considered trying to replicate but think it would be easier to build a new body from scratch.

20210918_112229.jpg

20210918_184625.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Simon,

I find layouts where the rolling stock has been changed from 'out of the box' so much more interesting. It is testament to the modeller, anyway isn't 'making a model' supposed to be our hobby?

I am not impressed by a collection of items, no matter how large, taken straight from the box and put on a an over complex and unreal track layout, as that is just a display of wealth not skill.

Cheers

Duncan

Edited by Duncan.
addition
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1