Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

Thanks, one thing I have just realised is that both 128 & 129 were renumbered back to 028 & 029 prior to 2001 which the transfer sheet does not allow, think I will need to order another set of transfers so I can pinch the 0. Another 90 on the possible 'to do' list is 90223 in Railfreight Distribution livery as seen here https://www.flickr.com/photos/sirtophamhat/6783119643/in/photolist-bkpg9F-oQaRFL-bjBK1u-evDTB4-nwkGHD-6LgEhj-beqbYp-e9MABK-pg3p7f-auoJhx-f6u2uZ-q4HAtW-FNu6cm-7sUJzm-gXUFmL-8aFYpr-9pY7Kh-67cTmp-dPjRtR-nwnnj5-nyhtb5-FCi79c-AUfzf6-nuzPv5-nf8WMP-vMU6tw-QiZJsf-63kqo6-uRMwgX-vNDLqB-vW19TM-zxdCiJ-4UwBRH-63kq2t-8rc3Fo-8rc3CW-pfWXzR-d1LRxW-ddBMoZ-e5QX4m-9B1oZs-4UwBn4-pZJRAC-8LNfwz-8r8Vu8-8LNfuP-4UAQCb-9dHReD-7ApvQr-4UwBFK

Cheers

Simon

I never knew that there was a 90/2! Was this a one off or were there several numbered in this way?

I never knew that there was a 90/2! Was this a one off or were there several numbered in this way?

Hi Jeremy,

There were quite a few numbered as 90/2 (around 10???) I cannot remember the reason now, but there is mention on Flickr about changes to the brake block type or braking system, it lasted around a year (2001-2002)but then reverted back to 90/0. It did not stop them going on push pull trains on either ECML or WCML so cannot have been a speed limiting modification as per the freight 90/1's.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Jeremy,

There were quite a few numbered as 90/2 (around 10???) I cannot remember the reason now, but there is mention on Flickr about changes to the brake block type or braking system, it lasted around a year (2001-2002)but then reverted back to 90/0. It did not stop them going on push pull trains on either ECML or WCML so cannot have been a speed limiting modification as per the freight 90/1's.

Cheers

Simon

Hello Jeremy and Simon

They make a brief appearance in my2002 Platform 5. The reason for the sub-class is the fitting of composition brake blocks increasing the brake force from 40 to 50 tons.

Numbers altered were 90221-5, 90227, 90233 90238-9.

Alan   

Bit more work on 90028 undertaken today. The body has received a coat of Halfords white primer earlier in the week followed by Rail Yellow on the ends and then the roof was masked off and Rail grey applied today. Here it is so far.

post-6834-0-56609800-1491589423_thumb.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow I should be able to mask it up and spray on the SNCB blue.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 7

Bit more progress with 90028 today. Cantrail added then body given a coat of Klear prior to adding the transfers. A problem has been noticed with the transfers though and that is to do with the shade of yellow used. Looking at photographs of 90028/128 I wonder if the warning panel yellow is not the normal shade. The Fox transfers are designed to wrap around the front as per the original 90128 for the actual naming, the warning panels were added afterwards before entering traffic.

Here is progress so far, think I will need to repaint the front ends to match the stripes.

post-6834-0-12608100-1491771426_thumb.jpg

Here is 90028 showing the matching warning panel and stripes.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/33106/16782047248/in/search_QM_q_IS_90028_AND_mt_IS_all_AND_w_IS_all

Cheers

Simon

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I had that problem with mine - the body went back in the box somewhere while I thought what to do about it... The solution I decided on was to paint the transfers (really carefully) but I didn't do it yet

I had that problem with mine - the body went back in the box somewhere while I thought what to do about it... The solution I decided on was to paint the transfers (really carefully) but I didn't do it yet

I was thinking that would be a solution but then the numbers would be different unless I could paint over the transfers. Hmm think I will have a look at what shades are available or mix a small amount to a similar shade.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

How big a difference is it? It's not too easy to tell on the pictures, do you think some subtle weathering would help to tone things down on the ends?

Just an idea,

Cheers,

John

Hi John,

It probably does not show aswell in electric light and my phone camera picture. The weathering maybe another route to help tone done the ends, possibly a white/yellow wash over may help.

Cheers

Simon

Will a decent matt varnish coat not dull it down to hide the difference? That usually works for patch painting but perhaps the difference here is too stark. I'd be inclined to try and paint match the transfer than the other way round if so.

Edited by jonas

Thanks for comments and suggestions everyone. I may have found a solution, Railmatch warning panel yellow RM304 - pre 1984, it is alot paler, tried a brief coat and it looks promising but will need a few coats to cover.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 2

Thanks for comments and suggestions everyone. I may have found a solution, Railmatch warning panel yellow RM304 - pre 1984, it is alot paler, tried a brief coat and it looks promising but will need a few coats to cover.

Cheers

Simon

Sounds like you may have a solution there matey. Hope all goes well as your 90 is looking really good.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Sounds like you may have a solution there matey. Hope all goes well as your 90 is looking really good.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy, I have rubbed the yellow down with a fibreglass brush back to primer/plastic and will remask the warning panel area and start again with white primer and the Railmatch 304. The transfers will need replacing but not too much of an issue as ordered another set so I could use just the 0 to make 028 & hopefully 029 so will have a set of stripes to replace these ones.

Cheers

Simon

More transfers arrived today to help finish 90028 with correct number for 2001 and Regional Railways linking stripes for the 156.
Had a go at fitting one of the linking end stripes in position. I have loosely fitted the roof and glazing for the picture. I am going to model 156464 which had no branding in 2001 as seen here. https://www.flickr.com/photos/tutenkhamunsleeping/5166971793/in/photolist-o5oV1H-8SA5Gz-p8UGfA-apXKmF-7BjPTz-dAA8Mo-nD1wx5-o7jvSq-7BoCTh-aw5agd-T5E18i-fyyhe3-a6jmpT-oNUjmD-6UVP3r-dw9gFk-ovzVpt-sbufwu-oXLTjJ-oMaJDT-o3rW75-s9f8zd-saDvrr-cLV11h-aa38Nt-6Q8KwD-BADFWL-oXLToS-aerPEm-69BuWA-aoUaWT-aoXMaK-DBYC7-58t6Lh-8XJxru-QbJCo7-dHizja-dU84CT-76daxA-aoXLvF-ff8A7P-85LE5D-aq1sVU-cmqkMf-2uX2rK-o8qApB-C7pwvS-bv7oke-omH1wg-fgFjjr
post-6834-0-94423200-1491943142_thumb.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow evening I can get the nose ends on 90028 resprayed.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 8

Back to 90028, another sheet of transfers have arrived to enable the right number to be modelled as the transfer sheet is for 90128 only. The ends have been resprayed Rail Yellow (pre 84)- Railmatch RM304 which is a very close match to the Fox transfers which is good.

Here is the progress so far. Just needs the handrails picking out in silver then the body will be sprayed with satin varnish.

post-6834-0-34863300-1492105034_thumb.jpg

Eventually it will be weathered as per its condition for 2001, fortunately there are plenty of pictures on Flickr for reference to work from for this.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 6

90028 is really starting to take shape and look good. Its going to.be an impressive model when it is finished. The pre 84 warning panel yellow looks like it has worked a treat. The match looks very good and a bit of weathering will blend it all in together nicely.

Thanks David,I am certainly alot happier with the warning panels now. Once this is done I do think 90029 in its 1992 DB livery will be next as got all the transfers, just need a Farish 90 and the right DB paint.

Cheers

Simon

Well the transfers and all the body painting etc is now complete. A coat of Klear has been added prior to everything being weathered and toned down.

The skirt and buffer assembly is going to be fitted to the bodyshell at one end. Here is the latest picture with the skirt stuck in position with Blutac - still abit of work to do on the skirt with filler etc.

post-6834-0-74648800-1492347877_thumb.jpg

Happy Easter everyone.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 7

Another loco onto the workbench is this Farish class 47 I picked up as a non runner. Its one of the early ones with the high ride height which I have had a small go at lowering but will look at doing a bit more. I was planning to model a Fragonset 47/7 but now thinking of doing a cut back cab version either a RES or a Virgin loco.

post-6834-0-70505300-1492463448_thumb.jpg

I know TPM did do the etched buffer beams but believe these are no longer available so will need to probably scratchbuild them.

The glazing is now fitted in the 90. The original cab glazing mouldings were cut into seperate parts, side windows and windscreen, these were fixed in place with Klear. The glazing has also been added to the marker light units and again secured with Klear.

post-6834-0-68731700-1492463724_thumb.jpg

A few marks in the paint occured when fitting the windscreen so will need touching up.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 2

Looking good Simon. I'll be interested to see the cut away beamed 47. I am considering doing one of those myself. Maybe a 47/8 in swallow livery. Should be a pretty easy scratch build I reckon.