Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001

87023Velocity

• RMweb Gold

I also enjoyed seeing Dallam today at the Stafford show. Looked to be performing well when I visited. I didn't got a chance to speak to you Simon as each time I passed by the layout had a healthy number of keen watchers with ongoing conversations keeping you busy!

Hopefully I'll get a chance to see Dallam and get to speak at a future layout soon. Good luck tomorrow, hope it's another successful day.

• Like 1

Well what a great weekend Stafford was. Really enjoyed it, lots of positive comments, stock ran well again today, there were a few issues which were caused by me i.e. operator error!

This morning, the scene that greated us was a 37 stabled pointing wrong line on the down fast, one of a number of engineers trains in a engineers possession. This caused the ohle to be switched of resulting in this.

This was before the show opened btw.

We did run some more upto date traction near the end.

Will post some more pics and a summary later in the week of notes made over the weekend.

Big big massive thanks to my 2 operators, Chris H and Peter T who ran the layout all weekend with me and did the set up and take down. Also thanks for all the great comments at the show and also on here, its all appreciated. Also big thank you to Colin Hill for the invite and also the whole Stafford team for all the hard work and assistance getting the exhibitors and traders safely in and out on setup and take down days along with the running of the show. Well done guys and girls it was brilliant.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 18

A few more pictures/clips from the weekend.

An appearance was made by a Virgin 220.

post-6834-0-98757900-1517860357_thumb.jpg

The mk2 set it replaced is now in the hands of a charter operator using a Deltic for traction.

Dallam is now safely stored in the garage. The plan now is to focus on Strathmuir so Dallam cannot be set up for the 6-7 months however, there should be room to work on a couple of boards as required. Things that need to be addressed before it goes out again:

1) Tray to carry the teas/coffees on (very important!)

2) Backscene, think going the photo route.

3) Signals to fit, I wanted them in for Stafford.

4) Fiddleyard needs looking at to make more flexible. Also the points need to be motorised to save our legs.

5) Continue to respray further stock, detail etc.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 15

• 3 months later...

I've come to this topic too late so missed the opportunity to get to Stafford. I had to rely on the Utube video. It was damned good!

I'll be looking out for your next exhibition and try very hard to get there.

The very long thread has been an education - brilliant modelling and a wonderful record of progress.

Keep up the good work.

John

I've come to this topic too late so missed the opportunity to get to Stafford. I had to rely on the Utube video. It was damned good!

I'll be looking out for your next exhibition and try very hard to get there.

The very long thread has been an education - brilliant modelling and a wonderful record of progress.

Keep up the good work.

John

Hi John, Thanks for the great comments! Next show I think is possibly TINGS in September 2019 followed by Wigan October 2019. Dallam currenty in storage whilst Strathmuir is made ready for Wigan, hopefully will be able to set the layout back up late October.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well, I am not an N guage modeller but you really have captured Dallam sidings (shed) very well indeed. I have spent many hours there in my younger days. I also have photos there, now in the National Archive, from steam days. I also live around 2 miles from there.

Well, I am not an N guage modeller but you really have captured Dallam sidings (shed) very well indeed. I have spent many hours there in my younger days. I also have photos there, now in the National Archive, from steam days. I also live around 2 miles from there.

Hi Vespa,

Thanks for the great comments. I think Dallam shed without the WCML running lines would make a cracking steam shed layout.

Cheers

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

Well its over 7 months since Dallam was at Stafford and has been in storage since whilst Strathmuir is prepared for Wigan in a few weeks time. All being well, Dallam should be set back up by the middle of October. In the meantime just having thoughts about the work listed and potential new stock. Found this clip below and although its from 1999, it does highlight how much extra stockcould be added to the Dallam roster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVvOUS5qAsA

Apologies its not embedding at the moment, not usually a problem!

A 325 or 3 would be nice, I have ordered 2 class 92's but looking at this clip maybe justify a few more. The Cawoods rake will be increased by 5 more wagons to take it to 29 wagons. I have an Intermodal rake but no Freightliner rake, I do have some KFA's on order so will pick some Megafrets up along with maybe some Farish Freightliner flats to go with the C Rail Pocket wagons. Also a rake of OTA's would be nice to form an enterprise service - to many ideas, too little time and money! :jester:

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 7

Hi Simon,

I have been off work today (Torticollis) twisted neck very painful. However It has given me the chance to read this thread. Well done nice layout, with appropriate stock.

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan, Thanks for the comment, layout aside, that sounds very very painful!

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity

Hi Simon,

Good news that Dallam is going to be set up again soon.

Thanks for sharing the video. Every time I see something like that all I can think is that I need a bigger fiddle yard and a bigger modelling budget :). So many interesting combinations there.

Regards
Dave

Edited by DavidMcKenzie

Hi Simon,

Good news that Dallas is going to be set up again soon.

Thanks for sharing the video. Every time I see something like that all I can think is that I need a bigger fiddle yard and a bigger modelling budget :). So many interesting combinations there.

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave, yes need to keep an eye on the old modelling budget!

Just been looking at whats available for the freightliner rakes and I had seen advertised a while ago a five wagon etched kit for the FFA/FGA comprises 3 inners and 2 outers, bogies etc buy seperately.

I cannot find any pictures of a completed kit but at £28 for the 5 wagons, think it may be worth a try.

Here is the link for them:

http://worsleyworks.co.uk/N/n_gauge_wagons.htm

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Simon,

The Worsley etch makes up a pretty good model - you just need to make a pivot out of some K&S. I haven't finished painting mine (probably 10 years after I built them) but I'll get some pictures at the weekend.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well its over 7 months since Dallam was at Stafford and has been in storage since whilst Strathmuir is prepared for Wigan in a few weeks time. All being well, Dallam should be set back up by the middle of October. In the meantime just having thoughts about the work listed and potential new stock. Found this clip below and although its from 1999, it does highlight how much extra stockcould be added to the Dallam roster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVvOUS5qAsA

Apologies its not embedding at the moment, not usually a problem!

A 325 or 3 would be nice, I have ordered 2 class 92's but looking at this clip maybe justify a few more. The Cawoods rake will be increased by 5 more wagons to take it to 29 wagons. I have an Intermodal rake but no Freightliner rake, I do have some KFA's on order so will pick some Megafrets up along with maybe some Farish Freightliner flats to go with the C Rail Pocket wagons. Also a rake of OTA's would be nice to form an enterprise service - to many ideas, too little time and money! :jester:

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

Feel like saying welcome back to Dallam :) Have missed your updates!  Like the plans, look forward to seeing the progress.

Rich

Thanks Dave, yes need to keep an eye on the old modelling budget!

Just been looking at whats available for the freightliner rakes and I had seen advertised a while ago a five wagon etched kit for the FFA/FGA comprises 3 inners and 2 outers, bogies etc buy seperately.

I cannot find any pictures of a completed kit but at £28 for the 5 wagons, think it may be worth a try.

Here is the link for them:

http://worsleyworks.co.uk/N/n_gauge_wagons.htm

Cheers

Simon

That looks like a good way to add some length to a rake without breaking the bank. If you give it a go I will be following progress with interest.

Cost aside that feeling of "I built that" rather than "I brought that" is a nice one sometimes.

Regards

Dave

Thanks for all the comments guys! Some pics of your freightliner flats would be great Simon.

Just found part2 to that clip I posted yesterday, first train on is a class 92 on cartics (assuming imported vehicles). I always found these wagons strangely interesting and fortunately the N Gauge Society do a kit, hmm, another train to the list, all this stock should keep me going for the next few years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0EZ4EQJ9f4

Cheers

Simon

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Simon,

The Worsley etch makes up a pretty good model - you just need to make a pivot out of some K&S. I haven't finished painting mine (probably 10 years after I built them) but I'll get some pictures at the weekend.

Cheers

Simon

Hi

I haven't yet found a suitable way of coupling them that keeps the wagons at the correct buffer height so my build has stalled at one wagon out of the set of five.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the comments guys! Some pics of your freightliner flats would be great Simon.

Just found part2 to that clip I posted yesterday, first train on is a class 92 on cartics (assuming imported vehicles). I always found these wagons strangely interesting and fortunately the N Gauge Society do a kit, hmm, another train to the list, all this stock should keep me going for the next few years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0EZ4EQJ9f4

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

Here are some pictures I took tonight - I've noticed that on at least one of them I folded the sides the wrong way down.  This is the first time I've ever looked at the ride height, it looks about 2-3mm too high.

post-6199-0-16398900-1537128189_thumb.jpg

post-6199-0-31758400-1537128198_thumb.jpg

With pizza-cutters and with N Train small wheels.  

post-6199-0-97082300-1537128208_thumb.jpg

post-6199-0-35345300-1537128220_thumb.jpg

End and centre detail.  I think I need to add a reservoir or something.  I'm not sure.

post-6199-0-29888800-1537128230_thumb.jpg

post-6199-0-43317400-1537128239_thumb.jpg

Underside at the end.  The ribs in the centre need taking out/filing down to drop the ride height.  I'm not sure if that would affect the fit of the pivot.  Note technical blu-tak.  

Hope these help?  

Cheers,

Simon

Hi Simon,

I don't think I've posted on your thread before, but just to say I look forward to your updates everytime they appear.  The realism you have achieved with Dallam Sidings is superb, and I hope to see it at an exhibition at some point.  Its one of the layouts that has been a big inspiration for me to go down the N gauge road, I just hope I can achieve something similar!  Mind you if I can get 50% of the realism that you have with this layout, I'll be happy.

Looking forward to the next update.

Cheers

Richard