Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001

87023Velocity

Had a spare hour this afternoon so managed to cut an access slot into the backscene behind the warehouse to enable sorting any potential derailment issues inside. I could not remember how much track I had laid inside the warehouse, turns out its long enough for 3 Dapol Cargowaggons. Going to fit a wooden block with sponge and the rail end.

Also got the Superguv rake out and it can be seen here behind 86261.

Cheers

Simon

IMG_20190210_154355957.jpg

IMG_20190210_152231289.jpg

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon,

IMO a smart move to open up the warehouse.  Definitely increases the operational fun.  There's something strangely pleasing about watching a rake of wagons slowly reverse through a door!!

On Horseley Fields we had similar in the steel terminal and had a working door - it definitely added to the operational fun and got a lot of good feedback at shows!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ben A said:

Hi Simon,

IMO a smart move to open up the warehouse.  Definitely increases the operational fun.  There's something strangely pleasing about watching a rake of wagons slowly reverse through a door!!

On Horseley Fields we had similar in the steel terminal and had a working door - it definitely added to the operational fun and got a lot of good feedback at shows!

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks Ben, I must admit I should have had it in use all along, after all it was all wired up etc, just the rail heads covered in paint and the plaster was slightly higher than the rail head.

Hmm need to have a think about a working door! 

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Some van traffic action of different types.

After propelling the vans out of the mail terminal and into the electrified siding, 86261 departs for Sheildmuir.

37710 heads under Bewsey Road with a mixed rake of vans.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 10

17 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

Some van traffic action of different types.

After propelling the vans out of the mail terminal and into the electrified siding, 86261 departs for Sheildmuir.

37710 heads under Bewsey Road with a mixed rake of vans.

Cheers

Simon

Very nice Simon however, I feel the stock is screaming out for some weathering!  :)

Cheers

Duncan

• Agree 1

Yes I have been bust too, besides my class 56 going into large logo blue I have been making some N Gauge society Salmons and various 21 ton and 24.5 ton minerals. I' ll try to get some pics posted on my Shirebrook  thread soon, but first tonight I have to mask up the windows on the 56 to spray the black, always tricky!

Cheers

6 minutes ago, MrSimon said:

Hi Simon

The weathering on the cargowaggons looks great, apologies if I've missed it: how did you weather them? 

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

Basically two parts, sleeper grime washed over the body ends and sides, this was then wiped off  randomly with cotton buds. Then sleeper grime was airbrushed all over in a number of passes making sure only a light coat in each pass. Once happy, the data panels and warning labels were wiped over.

This is a shot showing the ends being worked on, I removed the wheelsets aswell whilst doing this.

Cheers

Simon

IMG_20190212_140549975.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, RBE said:

Those look great Simon.

As Duncan said the 'weight gain' is very obvious but in addition they just blend into the scene much more convincingly than shiny new vehicles.

Thanks Cav, must admit I am quite happy how they have turned out. Just need to get the Revolution Cargo twins done.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RBE said:

I'd like some of the cargowaggons I think. Not so bothered about the twins though. I will have to keep an eye out!!

I might have to blow my VGAs over to get the look you went for on those.

I am surprised Dapol have not done anymore Cargowaggons as it does seem difficult to pick them up second hand. Yes my VGAs will probably follow the cargo twins, I did weather 2 up but not to this style of weathering. 

Cheers

Simon

Some more vans weathered this morning. Focused on the Farish VGAs, similar process used as per the Dapol Cargowaggons. 

Next up will be the Revolution Cargo Twins. 

Once all vans are weathered, they will receive a coat of matt varnish.

Cheers

Simon

IMG_20190216_122721190.jpg

IMG_20190216_123126797.jpg

IMG_20190216_123018346.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Here are the pictures of the completed Cargo Twins, these have had the same method used. Because the vans are effectively one vehicle, they need weathering together at the same time. To help with this I weathered the outer ends as per the other vehicles, then for the sides, both van bodies were held together with a clothes peg whilst the air brushing was carried out. 

All this vehicle weathering is making my locos stand out so need to make a start on those at somepoint.

Cheers

Simon

IMG_20190216_144549108.jpg

IMG_20190218_140505243.jpg

IMG_20190218_141046520.jpg

IMG_20190218_141217570.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Superb weathering Simon - whose are the two-axle, semi-permanently joined Cargowagons?  They are the same type that was used on the Ripple Lane - Immingham run in the late 1980s/early 1990s.  Didn't realise they were available.

Rich

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Superb weathering Simon - whose are the two-axle, semi-permanently joined Cargowagons?  They are the same type that was used on the Ripple Lane - Immingham run in the late 1980s/early 1990s.  Didn't realise they were available.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks, they are by Revolution models, see here:

https://railsofsheffield.com/manufacturer-revolution-trains-JJJM154?page=1

cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 1