Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

11 hours ago, Ben A said:

Hi Simon

Nicely observed weathering - especially the cleaned number and data patches.  Sweet!

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks Ben, happy how they turned out but was a bit nervous at first doing them. 

As mentioned, the locos need weathering aswell. There are 5 class 60's on the Dallam roster and first to be done is Mainline 60078. From the pictures I have seen, this loco around the period modelled was fairly clean at times. So far the underframe has been airbrushed, fuel stains will be added around the fuel filler area. The silencer on the roof will be repainted silver before this area is weathered. Not sure what to do bodyside yet, could do a very weak white wash to take the edge off the blue or just straight matt varnish.

Cheers

Simon

IMG_20190218_212257537.jpg

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

I have one of those 60's on the workbench having replaced the motor but now has two spilt gears despite it never been run before. After having a sort out I found this hence it sat in its box for years.

Hi Ian,

Its odd how certain models seem more prone to split gears. This 60 also had 2 split gears, though when tested at first it was ok. IIRC both on same bogie. I have an EWS 66 that has now started clicking and almost certain I have already done one or two axles already. It does become a tad frustrating. 

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

I now keep quite a few spare motors and gears for the 66's as had quite a few fail. I intend to keep a few for the 60's aswell .

It is frustrating but at least its fairly easy to do such repairs. Not so good when the motor fails and takes the decoder with it though.

• Agree 2

I like the class 60 Simon. Great to see you've gone for a light weathering. I know personally I sometimes find it hard to stop when I've started weathering :rolleyes: . But not every frieght loco needs a heavy weathering to look realistic. 

The cargon wagons also look brilliant. keep up the great work. It's inspirational as always. 

All the best

Dave

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Bit more weathering done on the 60, used powders on the roof and small amounts on the bodyside. A coat of matt varnish has been airbrushed on. The exhaust silencer was just sprayed with Halfords grey primer and then weathered with the powders rather than spraying it silver.  

Cheers

Simon

IMG_20190222_173314596.jpg

IMG_20190222_173406331.jpg

IMG_20190222_173322579.jpg

IMG_20190222_221224049_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 14

Bit more weathering tonight. Had a go with the Farish Bogie Steel hood. This has been done mainly with powders except for a little dry brushing on the steps and painting the buffers matt black. Here is progress so far with a clean wagon as comparison. The bogies still need a little more work I think.

Cheers

Simon

IMG_20190225_200109610.jpg

IMG_20190225_195958041.jpg

IMG_20190225_200645525.jpg

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

The real thing

DAS042996
Warrington Bank Quay
11/06/2001 (Monday)
60078 runs along the Up Slow on 7F84,16:30 Liverpool Bulk - Fiddlers Ferry loaded MGR

DAS42996.jpg.68d0cd84c3f9b33f0f4fda59a6b75974.jpg

Great picture Dave, thanks for posting. Those Railfreight HEAs look interesting!

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon,

Not sure I've said this but the layout is looking great.

DAS042966
Warrington Bank Quay
11/06/2001 (Monday)
66227 runs along the Up Goods Loop on 6Z32, Mossend  - Earls Siding HEA's

I photographed most of the wagons too.

DAS42966.jpg.402e21aea16734e2b477f7c1533aef1d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 87023Velocity said:

Thanks Dave and thanks for that picture, looks like a lot of the hoppers are in the original Railfreight livery. With that headcode, is that a special?

Cheers

Simon

Frequent runner, probably a minor route variation hence the Z code - saying that, some Z codes last for years !

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

Frequent runner, probably a minor route variation hence the Z code - saying that, some Z codes last for years !

Thanks for the info Dave, maybe another train to add to the Dallam roster. Certainly going to need a bigger fiddleyard.

Cheers

Simon

1 hour ago, beast66606 said:

Freightmaster Book 25 covering Spring 2002 shows 6Z32 as the 18.55 Mossend to Earles, normally a class 66 working. Time at Warrington not shown.

The northbound working 6Z32 as 06.57 MX Earles to Mossend and 12.10 MO. passing Warrington at 09.55 (MX) and 17.05 (MO).

Nick 

• Informative/Useful 1

More weathering tonight, a Farish BDA bolster wagon in Loadhaul livery. Progress so far, underframe weathered with powder, buffer shanks picked out in silver and handbrake lever painted white. The sides have been faded with a white wash to give a bleached effect. The deck has had some powder applied but still work to do here on the bolsters and stanchions. With regards a load, thinking Rebar maybe formed from wire.

Cheers

Simon

IMG_20190228_195053080.jpg

IMG_20190228_195257887.jpg

• Like 15

Thanks Jeremy! I know what you mean, I decided that I needed to make a start on weathering and detailing the stock as a lot of it looks very bright out of the box. Will probably do a few more then make a start on detailing and respraying the 47's and 90's which have been stripped, alongside working on the signals.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity

• RMweb Gold
On 27/02/2019 at 20:42, beast66606 said:

On 27/02/2019 at 22:05, stivesnick said:

Freightmaster Book 25 covering Spring 2002 shows 6Z32 as the 18.55 Mossend to Earles, normally a class 66 working. Time at Warrington not shown.

The northbound working 6Z32 as 06.57 MX Earles to Mossend and 12.10 MO. passing Warrington at 09.55 (MX) and 17.05 (MO).

Nick 

From my days in EWS train planning, which would have been around this time, I occasionally covered the industrial coal desk. Yes a Z would normally indicate an STP service, the path of which was guaranteed for the week in which it was requested. However, as Dave commented, where a flow was running more than a week, It could run with the same headcode. Basically, if a flow was long term (timetable period of longer), a WTT path was requested was Network Rail/Railtrack to guarantee our space and timings on the network. But for shorter-term flows we would find an old EWS WTT path that wasn’t used, but that worked with the train crew requirements and request to run in that.

Minor variations to the route, ie running through Manchester Victoria instead of Piccadilly for an East-West Freight for example, but still departing or arriving in the same time slow would generally run as the normal headcode under a VAR (variation) path, but significant timing changes would default to the Z headcode, or P sometimes for local workings.

My main traffic was the Fidlers Ferry Coal, in the days of 60s and ex-National Power hoppers. Happy days!!

Rich

• Informative/Useful 4

Bit more done on the BDA, bolsters drilled out and stanchions made out of square brass rod fitted, some of these have been bent slightly. The load is 1mm square rod sprayed with primer. Will probably do some dry brushing to give a dull metal effect. Also need to add some strapping to hold the load down. 

Cheers

Simon

IMG_20190301_193620119.jpg

IMG_20190301_193541652.jpg

IMG_20190301_193843280.jpg

• Like 15