Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001

87023Velocity

Great to be able to follow all your updates, still amazed by how well you have captured that section of the WCML. The latest sets of photos and videos are brilliant.

I can't wait to see the class 90 develop, no doubt you will put my efforts to shame and I will both enjoy and learn a lot from seeing how you go about it. Already learnt something with the wheels! 

Keep up the great work and thanks for the regular updates.

All the best 

Dave

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Had a break from spraying, it's a bit cold in the garage. 2 Farish FFA/FGA freightliner flats arrived, so have had a look at what could be done with them. First thing was remove the containers for repositioning them later, there is no big gap between containers on the prototype. Second, the bogies were removed and replacements from the N gauge society fitted along with 5.1mm wheelsets. With the replacement bogies fitted, the ride height was better but still not correct, so the bolster and spigot interface was trimmed very carefully at each end on the underframe. With this done a comparison next to the original set up and matched up to a Revolution KFA. Still additional work to do is add buffer beams, these 2 will be routers, the inner buffer beams will be added as well along with representations of the tight lock mountings and also handbrake wheels to add.20200401_135519.jpg.4b991287e9441e157efc747ade72f1a0.jpg

20200401_135214.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 87023Velocity said:

Had a break from spraying, it's a bit cold in the garage. 2 Farish FFA/FGA freightliner flats arrived, so have had a look at what could be done with them. First thing was remove the containers for repositioning them later, there is no big gap between containers on the prototype. Second, the bogies were removed and replacements from the N gauge society fitted along with 5.1mm wheelsets. With the replacement bogies fitted, the ride height was better but still not correct, so the bolster and spigot interface was trimmed very carefully at each end on the underframe. With this done a comparison next to the original set up and matched up to a Revolution KFA. Still additional work to do is add buffer beams, these 2 will be routers, the inner buffer beams will be added as well along with representations of the tight lock mountings and also handbrake wheels to add.

I'll be interested how you get on.  I've got a 5 wagon set waiting on similar treatment.  Luckily the ex TPM outer conversion kit is now available from BH Enterprises.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cornish trains jez said:

Hi Simon,

That 90 is coming along nicely. What diameter drill bit do you use to drill out the holes for the handrails?

Just coming back to your question re: Euston, it will return sometime in the future but not for a year or two.

Best regards and stay safe.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy, thanks, the drill bit may have been a 0.4, the holes look bigger than they need to be. 

Good to here Euston will return in the future, the Revolution 313 and 321's should hopefully be available then.

Cheers

Simon

The additional detailing work to convert the Farish Freightliner flats to FGAs is now complete. The buffer beams have been scratch built from plasticard, the OLEO buffers are from N Brass, the handbrake wheels will be fitted after painting. I have not added the twist locks as quite fiddly and these will be run loaded so will not really be seen in normal operation.

The NGS bogies needed to have the couplings fitted differently for the outer ends, the small wheels drop the coupling height, which is fine for the inner couplings. The outer coupling has been packed up around 1mm to bring to the correct height of normal couplings. 

Next job is paint.

Cheers

Simon

20200402_134205.jpg

20200402_134222.jpg

20200402_134447.jpg

20200402_134632.jpg

20200402_135535.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, 87023Velocity said:

the Revolution 313 and 321's should hopefully be available then.

It is massively frustrating to see Revolution launch so many other items before delivering the first item in the queue (321).

I think that I have completely lost interest now in the layout project that I ordered them for.

• RMweb Premium

They've been really upfront in the reasons the 320/1 have taken so long to come to fruition. I'm sure you can still cancel if you don't want them. You could say the same of every other manufacturer too - never has order of announcement equated to order of delivery. The difference is that Ben and Mike talk openly about project progress!

Back on topic, the FGAs look great. I've got a pair that I was going to sell now the KFAs are here, they were deputising for a bit of variety in a rake of FEA/KTA/IKAs, but tempted to do some similar work to make them a viable pair of FGAs.

• Agree 1

Just found this thread. I used to work just up the road from Dallam sidings and know the area well. 

Love the idea - long trains at speed isn't the easiest thing to model. I can see why it's so popular at shows.

And of course the variety of stock on show will keep people interested.

Best wishes.

Cam

Edited by CameronL
Erasing a suggestion which I realised was covered on page 26.
  • Like 1

Hi Cameron,

Yes got the Flasks on Dallam, they need the numbers removing from the top of the flask casing. Currently using 2 modified old version Farish Class 20's, these will get replace by the newer version and of course some 37's. 

Also getting the 2 Revolution KUAs but at the time Dallam is set, 2001, this was still run under EWS.

Here is a clip of the 20s , this is from 3 years ago.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CameronL said:

Thanks Simon.

I should have read the whole thread before I started suggesting stuff. 

Hope to see the layout for real sometime (or I could just pop to Dallam sidings). 

Cam

Hi Cam,

Dallam is at the Wigan Exhibition in October this year all being well! 

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hi Simon,

The Freightliners look really good - well done!

On 01/04/2020 at 16:03, Stuey said:

I'll be interested how you get on.  I've got a 5 wagon set waiting on similar treatment.  Luckily the ex TPM outer conversion kit is now available from BH Enterprises.

Hi Stuey, do you know if BHE sell online? I can only find a really out of date website - was hoping to see them at Ally Pally last month :(

Cheers

Simon

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, 87023Velocity said:

Hi Cam,

Dallam is at the Wigan Exhibition in October this year all being well! 

Cheers

Simon

Hi Cam,

I can't believe Simon didn't tell you Shirebrook will be at Wigan too, and Siimon wants to borrow some of Shirebook's stock!!:D

Cheers

Duncan

• Funny 2

10 minutes ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Cam,

I can't believe Simon didn't tell you Shirebrook will be at Wigan too, and Siimon wants to borrow some of Shirebook's stock!!:D

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

I am going to put myself on the naughty step for that little oversight! :blush:

Likewise some EWS stock could appear on Shirebrook.

Dallam went into a time warp earlier.......

20200402_143918.jpg

• Like 7
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

25 minutes ago, MrSimon said:

Hi Simon,

The Freightliners look really good - well done!

Cheers

Simon

Thanks Simon,  I have got some FFA/FGA etches on order from Worsley Works as well, so will be good to compare etc.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, 87023Velocity said:

Hi Duncan,

I am going to put myself on the naughty step for that little oversight! :blush:

Likewise some EWS stock could appear on Shirebrook.

Dallam went into a time warp earlier.......

Dont know about you Duncan, but I think Simon should cut himself off from the world, talk to people only over the phone and rmWeb and not be allowed outside for such an outrageous oversight!

Lets hope plans October reach fruition, we will all need some superb modelling to look forward to, once this lot sorts itself out....

Rich

• Agree 1

Bit more progress on a couple of projects. 90029 has had its coat of early DB red applied, this is different to the current DB red. Freightliner flats have been primed, sprayed black and handbrake wheels fitted, these should have curved spokes but these were to hand and once weathered and running etc. Just waiting for the Railtec transfers and final weathering. Will need to look at doing something regards weathering with all the containers.

Cheers

Simon

20200404_135911.jpg

20200404_135741.jpg

20200404_131001.jpg

20200404_130938.jpg

• Like 9

Hi Simon,

What brand and type of paint are you using? Was it difficult to get the yellow over the red? I use enamels and find yellow very difficult....if I don't have dense white undercoat under the yellow I find the yellow always changes shade, with red it has an orange tinge, with black it has a green tinge... and so on- unless I spray it so thick and loose detail, but I was taught not to do that!

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

Using Railmatch paint for the main colours, the grills and white window surrounds are Humbrol. 

I did initially start with white base coat, then warning yellow, then the DB red, but that caused a shade issue, the red looked more orange than red. Stripped it all off, did a base coat of grey, then red. A base coat of white was applied on top of the red prior to the Warning yellow. 

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, 87023Velocity said:

Spraying complete on 90029 (90129). Once dry, a coat of Johnsons Klear will be applied prior to the transfers. Handrails will be on of the last things to fit.

Cheers

Simon

20200405_102949.jpg

20200405_103044.jpg

That is already starting to really take shape! Looking brilliant so far. 

• Thanks 1