Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

1 hour ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

That is already starting to really take shape! Looking brilliant so far. 

Thanks David, already got the next one planned, got a suitable donor, just need to get another PH detailing kit.

This is what I am thinking of, found on Flickr.

90035  17th February 2002

Cheers

Simon

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 87023Velocity said:

Thanks David, already got the next one planned, got a suitable donor, just need to get another PH detailing kit.

This is what I am thinking of, found on Flickr.

90035  17th February 2002

Cheers

Simon

Great choice! I think that one wasn't just on freight but also parcels in 2001 so gives a nice mix of possible running combinations. 

90035 Willesden 28.08.01

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 02/04/2020 at 20:46, MrSimon said:

Hi Stuey, do you know if BHE sell online? I can only find a really out of date website - was hoping to see them at Ally Pally last month :(

Cheers

Simon

I've ordered via email.  They sent me an order form - I'll DM you the details

Almost there with 90029. Transfers all on, these are Fox for the DB logos and numbers, Railtec for the overhead warning flashes. Transfers were sealed in with Johnsons Klear then a coat of Matt Varnish applied. One glazing unit fitted, will get the other done tomorrow along with the glazing for the headlights and handrails. Looking at the pictures from 2001/02 the roof is certainly not red with all the dirt build up.

20200406_205451.jpg

20200406_205556.jpg

• Like 15

Thanks for the comments guys.

I may look at 90130 in the future as I have all the transfers, unfortunately it got repainted into EWS in 2000, but rule 1 etc. Could do 90022 in the later RfD livery as that was still named Freightconnection and saw quite a bit of use on West Coast push pull diagrams. 

Cheers

Simon

47 looks good.I do find that making the freight buffers works better filing down the round oleo buffers as once the tops have been filed back the 'square' sides of the freight buffers simply appear from the shape of the round buffer. You can't really do that with oval buffers without reducing the size of the buffer head.

1 hour ago, RBE said:

47 looks good.I do find that making the freight buffers works better filing down the round oleo buffers as once the tops have been filed back the 'square' sides of the freight buffers simply appear from the shape of the round buffer. You can't really do that with oval buffers without reducing the size of the buffer head.

Thanks Cav, I used a Farish class 60 as a guide and although not perfect once painted and on the layout they look passable. The Oleos were a consideration as got quite a few in stock but whilst the head would look right you would lose the bulkiness of the shank and also an oleo is longer. 

When doing the 90's the original Farish moulding was trimmed and filed down as the overall length of buffer seemed ok to represent freight buffers and due to the finess of the moulding (or lack off) the bulk seemed ok.

I have put an order in for some BHE class 59 buffers to see what they are like. 

Cheers

Simon

Fair points. I actually have a load of 3D printed plastic ones that I did for some TEA tank wagons that I was scratchbuilding a while back. I used those on one end of my class 47 that's currently on my workbench.

• Like 1

The 2 Farish Freightliner FGAs are now complete following the addition of transfers from Railtec and weathering. I have got some FFA/FGA etches from Worsley Works so will have a go at soldering them together in the near future. 

Cheers

Simon

20200411_164705.jpg

20200411_164828.jpg

20200412_115813.jpg

20200412_122832.jpg

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

31 minutes ago, Owd Bob said:

Great modelling that's bringing back memories for me of my Sunday morning visits to Bank Quay Station. Hope you don't mind the pic' :)

12-5-2018_08747.jpg

Hi Bob, thanks for the comment and the pics great. Not sure if local to you but Dallam will be at the Wigan Exhibition this October, all being well considering the current situation. 

Cheers

Simon

• Thanks 1

Simon, a good friend of mine is in the Warrington club and helps out at the Wigan show, he's always telling me to go visit it, i really do hope to be there all being well! ;) I take my hat off to you and all 'N' gauge modellers, you must have eyes like 'Outhouse Rats' and fingers you could platt fog with. :lol:

• Like 1

Made a start on the Worsley Works FGA/FFA etched kits. Went together with not many problems, got additional detail to add which is not included in the kit - air reservoir  handbrake wheels etc. The one completed so far will be a FFA inner, the next 2 will be FGA outers. 

Cheers

Simon

20200413_145038.jpg

20200413_162551.jpg

20200413_162327.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

1 hour ago, 87023Velocity said:

Made a start on the Worsley Works FGA/FFA etched kits. Went together with not many problems, got additional detail to add which is not included in the kit - air reservoir  handbrake wheels etc. The one completed so far will be a FFA inner, the next 2 will be FGA outers. 

Cheers

Simon

20200413_145038.jpg

20200413_162551.jpg

20200413_162327.jpg

Looks great! What are you using for the bogies?

Thanks,

John.

• Like 2