• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

A good find Ian. A couple of rogue shots of West Finchley and Mill Hill East slipped in somehow!

The DMU on the railtour is a well-known shot which, were I to build the model, i would have to replicate.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

G'Day Folks

Here's a pic I took of Finchley Central around about 1980/1, I did the whole branch (except Mill Hill, dummy) jumping of at each station, lousy day.

manna

Norther Heights 11.jpg

• Like 7

G'day Folks

Here's a picture I didn't take, Finchley Central, or as it was also named Church End. Building one of these has crossed my mind, the loco and coach, not to much of a problem, but the valve gear, Hmmmm !

manna

GNR1-M.jpg

• Like 5

Church End sounds so much nicer than Finchley Central and its a great pity that the expansion of the branch to Bushey heath let alone loosing the Edgware branch as well as Alexandra Palace branch would have been in these days of traffic congestion great commuter fast transit links both through northern suburbia and into the city

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Church End sounds so much nicer than Finchley Central and its a great pity that the expansion of the branch to Bushey heath let alone loosing the Edgware branch as well as Alexandra Palace branch would have been in these days of traffic congestion great commuter fast transit links both through northern suburbia and into the city

Not to mention the subsequent idea of continuing on to Watford Market, although southbound trains might have been full before even reaching Edgware!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, manna said:

G'day Folks

Here's a picture I didn't take, Finchley Central, or as it was also named Church End. Building one of these has crossed my mind, the loco and coach, not to much of a problem, but the valve gear, Hmmmm !

manna

GNR1-M.jpg

I have seen mention of an etched kit under development for one of these little beauties. So perhaps you may get some help, not just with the valve gear but with the whole thing. Tim Watson mentioned it as he is hoping to get one in 2mm for Copenhagen Fields.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, manna said:

G'day Folks

manna

GNR1-M.jpg

I'd thought of building one of them years ago but never got around to it.  There was a drawing in the Constructor in the early '70s or so I think.  I got as far as working out that a Fleischmann 'Black Anna' 0-4-0T (which I had one of) would be just about right for the loco mechanism, the wheelbase, coupling rods, connecting rods, cylinders & slide bars etc. were pretty close, but no outside valve gear unfortunately!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Not to mention the subsequent idea of continuing on to Watford Market, although southbound trains might have been full before even reaching Edgware!

Just think of the forethought of those building the railways all those years back, built for different reasons but could have had benefits they never dreamed of

Also the hurdles they had to cross. Watford Met stopping a mile short of Watford Junction as a local land owner refused to let it go through his country estate, despite recent efforts it still does not reach the Junction, crossing a road still stopping it

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Lots of interesting "might-have-been" modelling possibilities with the Northern Heights lines on the basis that the passenger services had not been completely taken over by the Underground.

Perhaps the best would be tube services terminating at Finchley Central (quite far enough to travel on 1938 stock), as well as larger gauge Underground stock from Moorgate. To that could be added steam or DMU services from Broad St and Kings Cross as well as freight.

I have been trying to look up the track layout to the south east of the station but old-maps.co.uk has been running very poorly since C-19 shutdown.

Edit to add: And that's all before we consider the possibility (as per Hornsey Broadway) of the High Barnet branch being extended to become a diversionary route for the ECML.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
Add
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 31A said:

There was a drawing in the Constructor in the early '70s or so I think.

I've got that somewhere if you want to restart...:D

I think I've actually got most, if not all the Constructor GN related drawings somewhere.

• Like 1

I was brought up just off Crouch Hill and can remember lying in bed at night listening to trains struggling up the gradient from Stroud Green to Crouch End. 

My GCE English paper had an essay option "The Problems of Transport in my District".  Inevitably, my solution to the problems featured a reopening of passenger services up the branch to Alexandra Palace.  I was the only pupil in my year to get Grade 1 in English!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

I was brought up just off Crouch Hill and can remember lying in bed at night listening to trains struggling up the gradient from Stroud Green to Crouch End. 

My GCE English paper had an essay option "The Problems of Transport in my District".  Inevitably, my solution to the problems featured a reopening of passenger services up the branch to Alexandra Palace.  I was the only pupil in my year to get Grade 1 in English!

I wish that my GCE paper had had an interesting option like that. Probably made a nice change for the person doing the marking as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Lantavian said:

You mean the band recorded more than "Winchester Cathedral"? 

Thought I recognised the style. My father guested for a band who played a cover version of Winchester Cathedral reworded to celebrate the Exeter ByPass, a renowned bottleneck in the days before the M5.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

I've got that somewhere if you want to restart...:D

I think I've actually got most, if not all the Constructor GN related drawings somewhere.

Thank you Dave, I'll have it somewhere myself actually!  I think what put me off starting really was the nature of the coach, large windows with very thin pillars and no partitions.  I built coaches from Plastikard in those days and thought it would be too flimsy.  These days someone would probably laser cut it on a 3D printer in about 5 minutes.  Or get the sides etched in N S ....  :jester:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

Couple of new pics of Edgware & Mill Hill. Sentinal railcar near Mill Hill, a shot of the Q1 on a pick up goods, a pic I like, as it shows the length of the layout. and a J3 at Edgware. The G1 gets a look in as well.

manna

DSCF4685.JPG

DSCF4686.JPG

DSCF4732.JPG

DSCF4710.JPG

DSCF4711.JPG

• Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

The J6, has reached a milestone, being the First kitbuilt chassis, that I have put together, that 'Works', I have 'almost' finished it, the cab needs finishing, better tender connection, tender rails. But at least it runs and runs well ( Thanks 'Chris P Bacon')

I had it running around yesterday with six non corridor coaches + a horse box, a little slipping so a couple of extra bits of lead were tucked into the chassis.

Plus a G5, taking a rest after working in from Palace Gates, totally fictitious, but I like it.

manna

DSCF4866.JPG

DSCF4868.JPG

DSCF4867.JPG

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

G'day Folks

A few random pics today from around the layout, plus a pic of a C12, (4511) which I have just managed to get running smoothly, but still with a bit of a sexy wiggle when it runs, a second C12, had a violent 'wiggle' so violent, it would throw it's self off the  track, it's taken me a long time to work out, that the Craftsman brass body wasn't built square, and screwing the body to the chassis, twisted the chassis, but we're getting there, the chassis has been altered, and I've had it running not so provocatively around Edgware.

Also a picture where Edgwares loco will be built. 4070, seen at Edgware with it's PW train. And a D3 in the fiddle yard.

manna

C1,3299 at Edgware.JPG

DSCF4914.JPG

DSCF4915.JPG

DSCF4916.JPG

DSCF4913.JPG

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Folks

Going to ask for a bit of help today, Edgware isn't strictly to scale, with the branch to London Colney and St Albans, which makes Edgware a Junction of sorts, with all the extra traffic, I'm going to add a small engine shed. I picked up a double slip for $20 yesterday, which I want to incorporate into the goods yard, there is a small headshunt siding, but by fitting the double slip, it'll give me a bigger headshunt (3') siding making shunting more realistic. First pic shows where it's going to go. Pic 2, in place. Pic 3 Where the loco shed will be. does it look realistic. pic 4, Is Atlantic 3299 passing 'The Hales' goods yard.

manna

DSCF4941.JPG

DSCF4932.JPG

DSCF4933.JPG

DSCF4939.JPG

• Like 7

I suspect that, at the time Edgware would have been built, the cost of land would have been low enough to enable the GN to use simple trackwork wherever possible.  However, the double slip does not look out of place in your mock-up.  I use one at the entrance to my goods yard and it does provide contrast (a different dimension or "feel") to  simpler trackwork.  My vote would be to use it - good luck with the wiring!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3