• RMweb Premium

G'Day Gents

Thank you for the, slide show, I often trawl the net looking for information on the Edgware branch, but haven't seen that before, just in case you didn't know the big office block on the site of the station, was the HQ for 'Green Shield Stamps'.

I know I said 2018 was the year of the station...........then I forgot, lol, I'll get back to it shortly, it's only bargeboards and chimney's.

manna

You're right! I'd forgotten that.

G'day Folks

December's been  good month for Edgware, two new 2-8-0's have arrived, I like this Hatton's super sale, loco's I can afford.

First up, a Bachmann, Robinson O4, then a Gresley O2, by Heljan, not as good a quality, but still a O2, and because of the paintless finish, it doesn't come out as good in the pictures. 

Both will be backdated to LNER, the O2 will receive a GN style cab & tender.

manna 

post-19471-0-32271700-1545382149.jpg

post-19471-0-05361300-1545382194.jpg

• Like 11

...just in case you didn't know the big office block on the site of the station, was the HQ for 'Green Shield Stamps'.

Indeed it was, but only after they moved from their Highbury offices, somewhere around 1962-1964 (my mother was working for them at this time, which is how I'm able to pass this on). Then they would lay on a coach to pick up staff from the Hornsey area to take them up to Edgware for the day's work before dropping them off again in the evening.

Katy Boyle once attended the grand opening of one of the boutiques on the ground floor of the Edgware building....

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

Thank you CarriageShed, useful information about the Bus from Hornsey, learn something new every day, and with Katie Boyle, as well, closest to Royalty that ever graced the platforms of Edgware.

I've been doing a bit of pottering around Edgware, not a lot, having spent the last four days replacing the kitchen and dining room floors with some new 'Floating floor', Oh my aching back and knees !! Had to get that done before Christmas. otherwise 'blood' could have been spilt.............

(Get's Serious now) on the main road behind Edgware station, there is a large building (No idea what it's used for) about four stories high and very wide, seeing that I don't have any room to fit a decent model of it on the layout I bought a large printed building on some sticky backed paper, it came in bit's which allows you to change the layout of the building, I've 'bluetacked' a couple up on a bit of board to see how it looks, so a bit of 'Feed-back' would be appreciated, you won't upset me or my Christmas with a Negative comment, so please feel free to run amok. Bye the way, some of the pics have two parts of the building and some three parts, I have still more if needed.

Also a couple of pictures other loco's.

Have a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year.

manna

post-19471-0-76456100-1545616445.jpg

post-19471-0-13890600-1545616473.jpg

post-19471-0-55364200-1545616531.jpg

post-19471-0-23644600-1545616591.jpg

post-19471-0-32464200-1545616627.jpg

post-19471-0-12458800-1545616663.jpg

• Like 9

G'day Folks

Christmas is over for another year, and I think I've over eaten and on top of that, we're in the middle of a heat wave, about 115 F in the shed, so not a lot being done out there, I've dropped the backscene/building a couple of inches, and built a small building that built after the branch was shortened, this how in looked in the 30's. An them my recreation.

manna

post-19471-0-06489000-1545895645.jpg

post-19471-0-39529100-1545895744.jpg

post-19471-0-65948600-1545895766.jpg

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

G'day Folks

Been rather quiet, here in 'Boob's' Just to hot to go out to the shed for more than a few minutes, 130f out there the other day. But I managed a couple of minutes yesterday, a test run on a couple of tender drives.

Hooked up J4, 4040 to a ballast train, and gave it a run.

manna

DSCF3618.JPG

DSCF3619.JPG

DSCF3620.JPG

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

G'day Folks

I have adjusted the back drop behind the station, the building has been lengthened, and fitted to a new board, painted a sky colour, I've put it on a board, as I don't want to stick it directly onto the wall, on a board does allow me to move it about a bit, to get it right, nice comments can be written on a $50 bill, nasty ones on a $100 bill....please !!!!

And, there's a gratuitous picture of a Gresley O1, waiting to leave the fiddle yard.  

DSCF3624.JPG

DSCF3625.JPG

DSCF3626.JPG

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

A small update, a length on embankment has been built and painted green also the cutting on one side of Mill Hill has been cleaned up and painted, in a fetching shade of green.

A couple of buildings have been saved and refurbished from my old 'snow' layout of Mill Hill, I've scrapped  all the 'snow' of and slated the roofs and one coat of paint, Hopefully I'll be able to get some 'Electrostatic' grass growing shortly.

manna

DSCF3634.JPG

DSCF3635.JPG

DSCF3636.JPG

DSCF3637.JPG

DSCF3638.JPG

DSCF3644.JPG

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Folks

Had some very hot weather last week, back up into the 40's, but managed to get out into the shed early, before it warmed up to much. I've filled in behind Mill Hill, with polystyrene, and then covered it with plaster coated paper towel, I'll get out again shortly and rub it down and paint it, just want to take the whiteness away.

The house in the background, has had a tiled roof added and a paint and tidy up.

manna

DSCF3652.JPG

DSCF3653.JPG

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

The weather is so much kinder at the moment, about 25c, more time in the shed, finished off most of the plastering,  gave it all a rub down and a coat of Green, nearly ready for some grass, put a couple of trees  on the cutting sides, a Southend Corporation bus on the bridge, and and some cut up scouring pad, as hedges, just to get the feel of it. Sheep, Horse's and cows scattered about the fields. Please feel free to laugh your heads off. LOL

DSCF3682.JPG

DSCF3683.JPG

DSCF3684.JPG

DSCF3685.JPG

DSCF3686.JPG

DSCF3687.JPG

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

The weather is so much kinder at the moment, about 25c, more time in the shed, finished off most of the plastering,  gave it all a rub down and a coat of Green, nearly ready for some grass, put a couple of trees  on the cutting sides, a Southend Corporation bus on the bridge, and and some cut up scouring pad, as hedges, just to get the feel of it. Sheep, Horse's and cows scattered about the fields. Please feel free to laugh your heads off. LOL

Good work Terry. Did the bus driver lose his way?

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

Bus drivers going to pick up a load of 'Oldies' for a day trip to 'Sarfend' innit. !

Competition for the railways, I'll have to run a Day special to Southend, B17 coming up.

manna

• Informative/Useful 1

G'Day Folks

With all this beautiful weather it's nice to get over the shed to work on the scenery (now that's perverse) but it's perfect to dry the glue out really quick, which allows me to 'plant' grass almost continuously.

I've had my static grass machine for about 5 years, time to test it out. I though I had a lot of static grass, bags of it, couple of days and it's starting to run out, some has been ordered from the UK, 12 mm green, it's easier to order from the UK as it delivered to the door, otherwise it's almost five hours in the the car and $40 in fuel.

Anyway, he's where I am at the moment, only the first cover.

manna

DSCF3688.JPG

DSCF3689.JPG

DSCF3690.JPG

DSCF3692.JPG

DSCF3693.JPG

DSCF3695.JPG

DSCF3698.JPG

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, manna said:

I've had my static grass machine for about 5 years, time to test it out. I though I had a lot of static grass, bags of it, couple of days and it's starting to run out, some has been ordered from the UK, 12 mm green, it's easier to order from the UK as it delivered to the door, otherwise it's almost five hours in the the car and $40 in fuel.

Won't any of the Australian shops send it by mail Terry?

G'Day Folks

I haven't really gone in to that yet, biggest problem is you don't see many pictures, so you can work out colours, E-Bay's handy on that score, as you can see what colour your buying. Got to go down to Adelaide on the weekend, so I might be able to pop into the model shop.

manna

• 3 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

Been a little quiet of late, a busy life, getting in the way, but I have in the few moments been building the chimneys for Edgware station, six altogether, this is were I'm am at the moment, still more weathering to go.

manna

DSCF3707.JPG

DSCF3706.JPG

DSCF3705.JPG

• Like 13

G'Day Folks

I've just knocked up the Booking Office, Ticket window, i won't be doing any more interior detail, as you won't be able to see it, but the ticket window, Just.

It's based on the ticket window at Cranley Gardens station, on the Alexandria Palace branch, you can find the picture on the 'Disused Station' site.

manna

DSCF3711.JPG

• Like 5

• 6 months later...

G'Day Folks

Been rather quite on Edgware lately, done a bit of running, general fiddling. but I did get a whole day to do some work. I'd been wanting to fit the fascia, out came the tools and a bit of timber, the main tools being a saw and a nail gun, in the course of the day, the fascia was fitted to match what I had started a couple years ago, a couple of coats of paint finished it.

Also doing a bit of experimentation with extra lighting. The N2, looks promising.

manna

DSCF3864.JPG

DSCF3865.JPG

DSCF3866.JPG

DSCF3867.JPG

DSCF3871.JPG

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Very nice work indeed.

The big red brick building on the back scene reminds me of Josiah Wedgwood’s house (Etruria Hall) near Stoke.  Used to see it from the top of the bus when I was taken shopping in Hanley with Mum in the early 1970s.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1