• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Another rare update, finished another loco, so I took a couple of pics of it on the layout.

DSCF4540.JPG

DSCF4543.JPG

That bus should be a single-decker or it won't get under the Midland main line bridge in a couple of minutes' time...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, St Enodoc said:

That bus should be a single-decker or it won't get under the Midland main line bridge in a couple of minutes' time...

G'Day Folks

It's going to 'turned' into a single deck in a couple of minutes, Honestly, in my universe, that bridge doesn't exist.

manna

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

An update on what's been going on, Some more grass has be planted, in front of the bridge's and along the back, hedges have been made from pot scourers, they've been planted along the road side.

Two loco's that were indifferent runners, were given a stern talking to and a severe looking at, a small number of problems were resolved, better connections etc, which has made the world of difference, both suddenly became transformed in to good solid runners, no jerking, no sudden stops, The J1, can now pull 13 wagons easily,  (Haven't tried any more yet) and the E1 on six coaches, but 3/4 will be it's normal load, I might try to double-head it with the D3.

manna

DSCF4599.JPG

DSCF4601.JPG

DSCF4602.JPG

DSCF4605.JPG

DSCF4606.JPG

DSCF4609.JPG

DSCF4593 - Copy.JPG

DSCF4594.JPG

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Hi Manna,

I’ve just noticed the interesting wildlife under the viaduct.  Is this indicative of grandchildren, or that Edgware GN is in a different continent to that which I previously thought?

:-)

Paul.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

G'Day Folks

No, no grandkids, just my weird sense of humor, I have a monkey going up a palm tree, (see at the top of the page, just) and a vulture sitting in a dead tree, but that ones not on the layout 'Yet'. The 'Croc' has been on many of my layouts for years, just a reminder.

manna

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

No, no grandkids, just my weird sense of humor, I have a monkey going up a palm tree, (see at the top of the page, just) and a vulture sitting in a dead tree, but that ones not on the layout 'Yet'. The 'Croc' has been on many of my layouts for years, just a reminder.

manna

The china-clay kiln at St Enodoc used to have a large shark lurking in one of the settling tanks.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Folks

With plenty of time on my hands, I have been concentrating on the scenery, more hedges and more grass, 'The Hale' also has had a bit of work done on it,a 'planked' surface has be laid, fencing erected and painted. The river has has a couple of coats of varnish.  Piccy time.

manna

DSCF4633.JPG

DSCF4634.JPG

DSCF4635.JPG

DSCF4636.JPG

DSCF4637.JPG

DSCF4638.JPG

DSCF4639.JPG

DSCF4640.JPG

DSCF4641.JPG

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, manna said:

G'day Folks

With plenty of time on my hands, I have been concentrating on the scenery, more hedges and more grass, 'The Hale' also has had a bit of work done on it,a 'planked' surface has be laid, fencing erected and painted. The river has has a couple of coats of varnish.  Piccy time.

manna

DSCF4633.JPG

DSCF4634.JPG

DSCF4635.JPG

DSCF4636.JPG

DSCF4637.JPG

DSCF4638.JPG

DSCF4639.JPG

DSCF4640.JPG

DSCF4641.JPG

Very nice Terry. What did you use for the grass down by Dean's Brook - one of those mats?

Oh and yes I do remember a (very) few palm trees in Mill Hill but not down by the railway!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

G'Day Folks

Yep, the really rough grass is 'Teddy Bear fur' trimmed with scissors, painted, then a bit of the stuff you use for trees and bushes. I think it looks quite effective.

Thought you'd like the palm tree, still can't find the Vulture, probably flew home......

manna

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Yep, the really rough grass is 'Teddy Bear fur' trimmed with scissors, painted, then a bit of the stuff you use for trees and bushes. I think it looks quite effective.

Thought you'd like the palm tree, still can't find the Vulture, probably flew home......

manna

Thanks Terry. I wasn't sure whether it was one of those vinyl mats. Teddy bear fur can be very realistic in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, manna said:

G'day Folks

Had a change to-day, Diesel day, what might have been. You can Boo, if you want to............

manna

I remember diesels on the branch. As I was only 8 when it closed, I didn't know which class but somebody told me recently they were probably BTH Type 1s (later class 15). From time to time an N2 would make its way past the back of our school too.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I remember diesels on the branch. As I was only 8 when it closed, I didn't know which class but somebody told me recently they were probably BTH Type 1s (later class 15). From time to time an N2 would make its way past the back of our school too.

When I was VERY young, I can just about remember seeing the goods trains from my grandmother's back garden which bordered onto the line at East Finchley.  I kid myself that I can remember N2s, (but it might just be that I've seen photos of them) but definitely remember seeing Type 1s.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 31A said:

When I was VERY young, I can just about remember seeing the goods trains from my grandmother's back garden which bordered onto the line at East Finchley.  I kid myself that I can remember N2s, (but it might just be that I've seen photos of them) but definitely remember seeing Type 1s.

Steve, I can certainly remember a small number of steam-hauled trains running past my school playing field, which was between Mill Hill East and The Hale (if you stood there now you'd see Barnet Copthall Stadium). They were few and far between though. Most trains, probably two a day during school hours, were diesel-hauled.

One of my might-but-probably-never-will layout projects is Finchley Central in about 1962, before the goods yard was turned into a car park.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Steve, I can certainly remember a small number of steam-hauled trains running past my school playing field, which was between Mill Hill East and The Hale (if you stood there now you'd see Barnet Copthall Stadium). They were few and far between though. Most trains, probably two a day during school hours, were diesel-hauled.

One of my might-but-probably-never-will layout projects is Finchley Central in about 1962, before the goods yard was turned into a car park.

Finchley Central would be a very good subject for a model.  I have a few Edwardian era snapshots of it; my grandfather was a signalman there!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, 31A said:

Finchley Central would be a very good subject for a model.  I have a few Edwardian era snapshots of it; my grandfather was a signalman there!

Yes, you're right.  A bit of compression to bring the overbridge at the Up end closer to the station and away we go...

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

Thank you for the replies. 31A, I had a great Grandfather that was a signalman for the GNR at mainly Finsbury Park no 6.

The grain train is a reminder of the many times I worked the Welwyn wheat train from Temple Mills, the class 31 was working absolutely flat out from Finsbury Park to Hatfield, very rarely did we get above 30mph by then ( our max speed anyway)

The A2 has been demoted to a coal train.

manna

DSCF4758.JPG

DSCF4765.JPG

DSCF4749.JPG

DSCF4748.JPG

DSCF4747.JPG

DSCF4793.JPG

DSCF4745.JPG

• Like 5