G'Day Folks

A couple of pics from around the layout, first up a G1 hauls a single Fish van and brake back to Ashburton Grove. 

Second a Short train of coal empties, hauled by J3 4100.

Third. Sentinal, 'Rising Sun' departs for Finchley.

Lastly, Gresleys 02 stands with an Ivatt Atlantic.

manna

DSCF4990.JPG

DSCF4988.JPG

DSCF5007.JPG

DSCF5009.JPG

• Like 13

G'day Folks

I've opened a can of worms by building a loco because Edgware is now a Junction !! Up and Down trains to/from St Albans & London Colney, cannot now stop to pick up or set down passenger, Major problem.:o Now the only way I see on how to fix this is to build another station. This is what I'm now doing, it's only going to be short and quite narrow, and probably like Mill Hill made of wood. (see pics) Now as for a name, I've thought of a couple, Edgware Halt,  High Street, ( as it's only a stones throw away) I've discounted 'Edgware Road' as that would only create confusion with my plastic people, Any suggestions ????????

manna

DSCF5022.JPG

DSCF5023.JPG

DSCF5024.JPG

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 14/07/2020 at 15:35, manna said:

G'day Folks

I've opened a can of worms by building a loco because Edgware is now a Junction !! Up and Down trains to/from St Albans & London Colney, cannot now stop to pick up or set down passenger, Major problem.:o Now the only way I see on how to fix this is to build another station. This is what I'm now doing, it's only going to be short and quite narrow, and probably like Mill Hill made of wood. (see pics) Now as for a name, I've thought of a couple, Edgware Halt,  High Street, ( as it's only a stones throw away) I've discounted 'Edgware Road' as that would only create confusion with my plastic people, Any suggestions ????????

manna

Well, seeing as your branch line curves away to the North and East of the actual branch just about where it crosses the Dean's Brook (Deansbrook Junciton?), it would probably pick up the route of the projected LT extension to Bushey Heath. In that case the new platform/halt might be somewhere behind Edgwarebury Gardens, so how about Edgwarebury Halt? Or, if that sounds too much like Edgware itself, the Broadfields Estate isn't too far away so Broadfields Halt might work.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Well, seeing as your branch line curves away to the North and East of the actual branch just about where it crosses the Dean's Brook (Deansbrook Junciton?), it would probably pick up the route of the projected LT extension to Bushey Heath. In that case the new platform/halt might be somewhere behind Edgwarebury Gardens, so how about Edgwarebury Halt? Or, if that sounds too much like Edgware itself, the Broadfields Estate isn't too far away so Broadfields Halt might work.

G'Day Folks

Thank you for the replies, I to had a good look at the map of Edgware, and was stuck by the name Edgwarebury, but also like Watling Pk, so I'm going to combine the two, 'Edgwarebury & Watling Park', nothing like a huge name for an obscure station, that serves half a dozen trains a day.

manna

• Like 5

G'Day Folks

Edgware got it's name from an Saxon fellow called Egi, and he built a weir across the river, so it got called Egi'sweir, Here endith the lesson. :P

A bit more work on (deep breath) Edgwarebury & Watling Pk, I've trimmed it up a bit, as a couple of 'Shorty' coaches hit the platforms, but 61ft coaches glided round without any problems, go figure ( I reckon it was the steps), I gave the platforms a quick blast of undercoat, the block of wood and the ruler are roughly where the bridge will be.

The Sentinal and G5 on 'push-pull'  will be the types of trains calling there, don't you 'Love' the 40 year old backscene.

manna

DSCF5037.JPG

DSCF5038.JPG

DSCF5039.JPG

DSCF5040.JPG

DSCF5041.JPG

• Like 10

G'Day Folks

No real progress on the new station, to darn cold in the shed, but I did manage a couple of minutes to coal up a couple of tenders, but to-day, mainline coaches. I have 5 mainline 61ft coaches, these are a real mixture, there are opens, compartments a ECJS open and a NER coach, care of 'Chris P Bacon'. I give these a run every so often, usually with one of the Atlantics.

manna

DSCF5015.JPG

DSCF5016.JPG

DSCF5017.JPG

DSCF5018.JPG

DSCF5019.JPG

• Like 12

G'Day Folks

Progress on the new station, been building the bridge and area for the booking office, it's going to be small, with a ramp down to the station.

First view from the fiddle yard, others from the scenic side. 

manna

DSCF5054.JPG

DSCF5055.JPG

DSCF5056.JPG

DSCF5058.JPG

• Like 7

G'Day Folks

Rushing ahead with the new station (lol) Well solid progress, brickwork done, bridge painted, some advertising, you'll see in the pics. But the main thing I was going ask, should a 'small' booking office be at the top of the ramp by the bridge, or a slightly bigger booking office on the platform at the bottom of the ramp, or maybe a small parcels office at the top, any suggestion??

manna

DSCF5059.JPG

DSCF5060.JPG

DSCF5064.JPG

DSCF5066.JPG

DSCF5068.JPG

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, 31A said:

If there's room for one at the top of the rap I'd put it there.

Have you got room for one like Bayford (sorry could only find a picture on E Bay)?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bayford-Railway-Station-Photo-Cuffley-Goffs-Oak-Hertford-GNR-3-/261772772067

What a super photo!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

I know it's quick, but I think Bayford is going to win !!!

manna

I think that will be good. It will make a nice contrast with The Hale.

• Like 2

G'Day Folks

Bit of spare time today, so it's onward with the station buildings, measured up, it's only 55 mm x 30 mm, with a bit of cutting and gluing it didn't take long (couple of hours) for the basic outline to take shape, very roughly based on GN stations, on the Keighley-Halifax line, Ovenden, is fairly close and Bayford.

manna

DSCF5070.JPG

DSCF5071.JPG

DSCF5072.JPG

DSCF5075.JPG

DSCF5078.JPG

• Like 14

G'Day Folks

Only a little progress, I've spent most of the week searching for and replacing a battery and alternator in the car, but to-day a bit of time to fit the framing of the building and windows, also a couple of coats of paint, even ran a few trains, the C2 got a run with a short parcels train.

manna

DSCF5079.JPG

DSCF5090.JPG

DSCF5080.JPG

DSCF5083.JPG

DSCF5084.JPG

• Like 13

G'Day Folks

Time I think for a small update, Polystyrene blocks have been glued to the back of the platform to create a ramp down to the platform from the ticket office, this has now had plastered kitchen towel draped over it to smooth  it.

Bit more work on the Ticket Office, doors 'Glass' in the window, and a couple of LNER signs, roof fitted, tiles to do next.

manna

DSCF5091.JPG

DSCF5092.JPG

DSCF5095.JPG

DSCF5098.JPG

DSCF5099.JPG

• Like 12

G'Day Folks

Time for an update, mostly done today, as we've had a very cold spell, down to a daytime max of 4 c, 'Snow' fell in the 'Flinders Ranges' north of us (200k) hard to believe that 7 months ago it was almost 50 c. Even with a wood burner, it was to cold to work in the shed.

The ramp has been plastered (took 3 days to dry) a coat of brown paint and a coat of PVA also allowed me to 'Sand' the ramp and platform, the ticket office has received it's slate roof.

A small collection of Midland coaches ( Ratio) have been slowly acquired from the local model shop for a modest $20 each, I think they have been masquerading as Australian coaches, so a bit of work and some transfers will be required.

The J6 has been working a local oil train.

manna

DSCF5104.JPG

DSCF5106.JPG

DSCF5107.JPG

DSCF5050.JPG

DSCF5046.JPG

DSCF5047.JPG

• Like 13